• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann Headphones - NDH 20

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been wanting a first-rate, robust closed-back headphone for clients who are in production or who want office cans. The Audeze sound great but are heavy, particularly if you're sitting in an office working. I personally wouldn't haul them around from venues. Has anyone in the forum heard the new Neumanns? They seem to have a reasonably good Harman curve and are not heavy, and most important, they appear to have negligible distortion, far lower than other dynamic-driver headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Haven't heard nor measured one but it looks a lot like a HD630 frame. Possibly even Sennheiser drivers in there as well.
What I understood is that it was overly bassy (Harman indeed)

below a plot from Sonarworks. Knowing their compensation I would guess that it is a lot bassier than Harman and lacks clarity/forward sound.

NDH20-AFR.png

It isn't following the Harman curve for sure.

10295686.jpg

Hoping to hear/measure one of them. Not going to buy it based on the many plots that all show the exact same response.
Maybe with proper EQ one could take advantage of the low distortion.

Maybe the HD630VB is an idea when you like the looks/form factor.

Last edited:

peder2tm

I have heard them in a shop and they sound good. In comparison to the other headphones on display Beyerdynamic DT1990, DT770, DT1770 and audio-technica ATH-m50x I liked them the best. Detailed and not sibilant, feels okay neutral, but it has some bass boost. It does not get boomy like V-moda crossfade LP2, but it's there. They are quite comfortable, but not as comfortable as DT770.
I ended up buying a pair of used Shure SRH1540 and they are more comfortable, because they have larger ear cups, less clamping force and comfortable pads and they also sound nice and detailed. SRH1540 has around the same level of detail as my Sennheiser HD650, but it sounds best at lower volume because the bass is boosted around 100 Hz and below.
I don't regret getting SRH1540 over NDH20.

Top Bottom