• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Networked stereo receiver with HDMI, room correction and bass management - does it exist?!

Timmy2wheels

Hi there. Hoping for some help to upgrade our lounge system. I am seeking the best possible sound (subjective, of course) for music and TV/film in a 2.1 system on a budget of £1k or under. I already have a BK XXLS400 sub so this is for the receiver and speakers. I'm not interested in surround sound so would prefer to get a stereo receiver that plays nicely with the TV.

On a whim, and as it was cheap, I bought a Yamaha R-N803D off eBay last week, thinking that this would probably fit the bill. I've read some reviews and this seems well-rated for music for an entry-level all-in-one box. The 803 has bass management for the sub and basic room eq via YPAO. I am not seeking an ultimate audiophile experience, just something which makes it easy to integrate the sub and sounds great to my ageing ears and small budget.

What the Yamaha lacks, however, is HDMI, which makes integrating into the TV a bit tricky. The choice seems to be: connect via optical and then need separate controllers for TV channels and audio volume; or connect via a 3.5mm headphone out socket to RCA cable, in which case we can change the volume with the TV controller, assuming the amp is on and set to the right input.

Questions:
  1. Am I likely to hear any meaningful difference between the headphone out and optical connections? I can test this out myself, of course, but am wondering from a technical point of view.
  2. Is there likely to be something better for my budget of ~£600, assuming I'm going to be spending ~£400 on speakers? I would really like to have room correction and bass management on board, but not aware of anything offering this at my price point. Have considered the Marantz NR1200. How would this stack up against the R-N803 from a pure audio perspective? Happy to buy used to get a better unit cheaper.
Any insight very much appreciated!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there. Hoping for some help to upgrade our lounge system. I am seeking the best possible sound (subjective, of course) for music and TV/film in a 2.1 system on a budget of £1k or under. I already have a BK XXLS400 sub so this is for the receiver and speakers. I'm not interested in surround sound so would prefer to get a stereo receiver that plays nicely with the TV.

On a whim, and as it was cheap, I bought a Yamaha R-N803D off eBay last week, thinking that this would probably fit the bill. I've read some reviews and this seems well-rated for music for an entry-level all-in-one box. The 803 has bass management for the sub and basic room eq via YPAO. I am not seeking an ultimate audiophile experience, just something which makes it easy to integrate the sub and sounds great to my ageing ears and small budget.

What the Yamaha lacks, however, is HDMI, which makes integrating into the TV a bit tricky. The choice seems to be: connect via optical and then need separate controllers for TV channels and audio volume; or connect via a 3.5mm headphone out socket to RCA cable, in which case we can change the volume with the TV controller, assuming the amp is on and set to the right input.

Questions:
  1. Am I likely to hear any meaningful difference between the headphone out and optical connections? I can test this out myself, of course, but am wondering from a technical point of view.
  2. Is there likely to be something better for my budget of ~£600, assuming I'm going to be spending ~£400 on speakers? I would really like to have room correction and bass management on board, but not aware of anything offering this at my price point. Have considered the Marantz NR1200. How would this stack up against the R-N803 from a pure audio perspective? Happy to buy used to get a better unit cheaper.
I would have thought optical out from tv would be optimal. It is for me.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does mean using separate controllers for channel and volume, though, right?
Even if you found a stereo receiver with HDMI input, you'd still have the same issue, wouldn't you?

Can't you get a universal remote?

BTW, Marantz NR1200 has HDMI inputs, but interestingly enough it states:
"Dolby Digital and DTS surround not supported; TV must be set to output 2-channel PCM"

I see Onkyo 8270 says the same exact thing. I guess manufacturers didn't feel like paying licensing fees to Dolby for these stereo receivers. :(

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does mean using separate controllers for channel and volume, though, right?
Depending on your remote, maybe. I use two tv functions and sound functions. That can easily be fixed with a smart remote.

OP
T

Timmy2wheels

Even if you found a stereo receiver with HDMI input, you'd still have the same issue, wouldn't you?
Don't know! I assumed that was the benefit of HDMI over optical, beyond the Dolby/DTS stuff... I have spent the past few years running the TV's headphone out to the RCA connections on an ancient Cambridge amp, so I'm not very clued up on any of this!

OP
T

Timmy2wheels

But no room correction.

I've been around and around on this issue...the best we can do is an AVR or MiniDSP Flex + amp, with some functional differences.
I just don't see the point of buying an AVR when I am never going to use more than 2.1 - and getting one with sound quality as good as the Yamaha 803 is probably way beyond my budget. 100% not getting into expensive standalone room correction stuff!

Looks like one is either into surround or stereo and never the twain shall meet - at least as far as this crossover functionality goes!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't see the point of buying an AVR when I am never going to use more than 2.1 - and getting one with sound quality as good as the Yamaha 803 is probably way beyond my budget. 100% not getting into expensive standalone room correction stuff!

Looks like one is either into surround or stereo and never the twain shall meet - at least as far as this crossover functionality goes!
I’m in the same boat. I only use my stereo occasionally with the tv the last time was to watch Dune. Personally I have zero use for a avr or all the knobs. Give me a volume control and I’m happy.

Narnian

I have the Marantz NR1200 for stereo and the Denon S760H AVR. I was thinking about temporarily putting the stereo speakers on the Denon and doing a room correction with those speakers in stereo mode and then transferring the results over to the Marantz.

DJNX

You could just buy an Onkyo TX-NR696. I see it at $550 on Amazon. So if you don't care about all those extra channels, then it means you'll have all that amp power (100 watts) for your LR speakers.
You get bass management and room correction, plus ARC (to control volume with your TV remote), plus local network streaming, plus internet streaming, plus Hard Drive music via USB, etc.

samysound

Questions:
the advantage of a surround sound receiver would be that you would be able to decode dolby/DTS and preserve the 0.1 bass channel. I am not aware of any 2ch receiver that will decode surround sound a preserve the 0.1 channel so the bass would be downmixed for 2ch.

KxDx

Arcam SR250 does everything you want. HDMI and Dirac Live. It's discontinued but I see used units going for around $1000. I'm contemplating getting one myself.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Premises:
I listen to Music in 2-Channels stereo.
I believe that multiple subwoofers provide the best bass in most rooms.
I believe in Digital Room Correction.
I tend to subscribe to the Floyd Toole-Harman music reproduction philosophy and findings.

Background 50 years plus as an audiophile. Been there done that, I believed in cables and others subjectivists things:eek:... Spend ungodly amount of money on the hobby.No longer.
My best system ever is the least, I have spent on an audio system. It is used as a surround setup as well. I have used audio cables that cost more than the present and best entire audio-video + screen + TV system. Present system with HD Projector and e-Bay Stewart Screen is less than $6000,oo full range: 20 to 20, 000 Hz, Capable of stupid levels at the MLP (>110 dB all channels playing).
I will spare the OP more.

My recommendations:
Get the Denon AVR-X3800 Use only two channels... avoid the "Pure" settings.
Get Audyssey MultEQ-X for $200.oo. Caveat it is attached to the serial number of the AVR...cannot , so far be transferred but ...
Learn how use MutliEQ-X to extract good performance from your system. People here will help.
Be happy!

Later... (say 6 months to a year)
Download REW (free but donate , please).Acquire an Umik-1 about $125.
Learn how to measure. Learn how to apply your measurements to refine your system.
Be happier :D

Peace.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why wouldn't you just keep Yamaha and use Toslink? You didn't mentioned which TV? Depending on that you might use your phone as a "unified" remote? I have similarly paird Yamaha with Panasonic TV. The app for a TV is bad so I still prefer to use TV remote instead of app. Yamaha has a "volume trim" option for leveling input lines, similarly TV has a PCM optical out level adjustment (along with plethora of adjustments including basic room correction and normalization... and basic EQ).
On Dolby content with Cinema Pro preset and basic EQ used (for my speakers) it actually sounds deacent.
Neadles to say it doesn't help much as level's between individual TV channels output lv will vary a lot so master volume under fingertips is more than appreciated (and MusicCast integration at least it doesn't work bad with my old Sony phone).
Best regards and have a nice time.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Questions:

HDMI, LAN, DIRAC. Seems to have everything you wish.

Top Bottom