• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Negative gravity sound particles

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interseting if this Phonos particle) are subject to Quantum entanglement en what it could mean to use them for quatumbits. So instead of spinn up or down we are goning to measure octaves ;). What would work better Mid, High or Low frequency Phonons particles.

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
I try to keep up with this stuff, but I don’t understand this development at all. Sound, as I understand it, is patterned differences in pressure levels in a medium, like air or water. Where does the particle come in? If there’s no medium, can there be the phonon particle, and thus sound?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I try to keep up with this stuff, but I don’t understand this development at all. Sound, as I understand it, is patterned differences in pressure levels in a medium, like air or water. Where does the particle come in? If there’s no medium, can there be the phonon particle, and thus sound?
In space you can't hear sound probably because there is no medium like Air or water. However since a few years we know that space is not empty it consist of (besides darkmatter) gravitational waves. So it looks like there is no interaction beteween Phonos particles an the theorised Graviton particle.

Last edited:
I think people can and do understand more about physics than they realize just that our horrendous public education system seems to only teach people to feel bad about learning anything science related.

In space you can't hear sound probably because there is no medium like Air or water. However since a few years we know that space is not empty it consist of (besides darkmatter) gravitational waves. So it looks like there is no interaction beteween Phonos particles an the theorised Graviton particle.

The idea of a phonon does not make sense to me as there are four known fundamental forces in nature and their fields are mediated by their associated quantum particle. The graviton for gravity and the photon for electromagnetism, etc. So how would the phonon make sense as a fundamental particle? Sound waves in air are a manifestation of a pressure variation within the air molecules which can mimic the wave like nature of light but that does not mean sound waves and light waves are equivalent as to their fundamental nature. Possibly some deeper meaning as to why similar phenomenon occur in different types of energy transmission.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
1000 years from now scientists will be ROTFL over all these wacky notions being presented here. :p

I suspect that if any physicists frequent ASR, they may already be ROFLing now.

No need to feel embarrassed as no competent physicist would laugh at any misunderstanding about the field and would only be quick to help in understanding if they had the time and inclination.

The basic concepts or fundamentals are not that difficult to understand for a lay person. I have spoken to more than a few Physics Professors and they seem to be able to explain the basic ideas without detailed math.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to feel embarrassed as no competent physicist would laugh at any misunderstanding about the field and would only be quick to help in understanding if they had the time and inclination.

Yes and don't get me wrong, I think it's interesting and worthwhile for lay people to discuss these things. I do think though that some of the strong opinions on these topics that I've read (not particularly on this thread btw) might elicit at least chuckle or two.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The basic concepts or fundamentals are not that difficult to understand for a lay person. I have spoken to more than a few Physics Professors and they seem to be able to explain the basic ideas without detailed math.

We have a physicist with two papers in Nature in our amateur astronomy organization. That guy is wonderful with kids in general, it is amazing to see, and great with us as well as far as explanations are concerned. Now, any adult question on fields others than the field he is working on, he passes and often essentially says "not my field, I know nothing about it".

If you are interested in Physics, may I recommend this book as a generic starting point?

1561073922713.png

it is not an easy read but it tells you a lot about the concepts and the tools of the trade. It generally won't help you to understand physics papers but at least you will know what they talk about and how they talk about it in most cases.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Reality-Complete-Guide-Universe/dp/0679776311

And yes, Penrose is a mathematician and has been known to be severely biased :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
We have a physicist with two papers in Nature in our amateur astronomy organization. That guy is wonderful with kids in general, it is amazing to see, and great with us as well as far as explanations are concerned. Now, any adult question on fields others than the field he is working on, he passes and often essentially says "not my field, I know nothing about it".

If you are interested in Physics, may I recommend this book as a generic starting point?

View attachment 27998

it is not an easy read but it tells you a lot about the concepts and the tools of the trade. It generally won't help you to understand physics papers but at least you will know what they talk about and how they talk about it in most cases.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Reality-Complete-Guide-Universe/dp/0679776311

And yes, Penrose is a mathematician and has been known to be severely biased :)

"Not my field ........................... " I agree with that. It's another way of saying "I can't be all things to all men".

P.S. The book, free download: https://archive.org/details/RoadToRealityRobertPenrose

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That is my point as a phonon is not a mediator of a fundamental force which eliminates in free space.

Neither is an electron, muon, neutron, polaron, soliton, neutrino... but they are all particles in the sense that you can do second quantization, i.e., create and annihilate them, as well as scattering. In fact, photon absorption by a solid lattice can give rise to phonons. Important to note that phonons exist in solids, not in vacuums.

Here's an analogy: stretch a wire between two rigid surfaces. There will be a resonant frequency determined by the length and tension. And there will also be harmonic excitations, but the frequencies will be discrete and harmonically related. A phonon is pretty similar to this, it's a quantized vibration in a solid lattice that can mathematically be treated as a particle. The frequencies will be determined by the masses of the atoms in the lattice, their distance (average, since the phonons jiggle them), and what is basically the spring constant of the bonds between the atoms. Electrons interact with them in the same sense that they can scatter off any other particles, and fundamentally, this is what gives rise to electrical resistance.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea of a phonon does not make sense to me as there are four known fundamental forces in nature and their fields are mediated by their associated quantum particle. The graviton for gravity and the photon for electromagnetism, etc. So how would the phonon make sense as a fundamental particle? Sound waves in air are a manifestation of a pressure variation within the air molecules which can mimic the wave like nature of light but that does not mean sound waves and light waves are equivalent as to their fundamental nature. Possibly some deeper meaning as to why similar phenomenon occur in different types of energy transmission.

The Field of quantum mechanics is for now IMHO a field of observing behavior & math calculations for most based on String theory (for now the only theory that come close describing the unifying theory regarding the fundamental forces). In the field of psychology they know that people with hallucinations can see an hear things as normal people can see an hear. Exactly in the same place where a photons for instance enters the eye and cause a electrical pulse back in the brain these hallucinating people have the same electrical pulse/projecting as a so called normal person. The interesting question becomes than what we perceive see/hear (read determine) what causes that. The field of string theory has some interesting answers one of them is that we life in a holographic projection/universe where everything you observe is a scenario that is projected probably regardless if a photon or Phonon enters your brain true your eye/ear or in anotherway. If you dream most of us hear an can see (also in colours) clearly a sort of hallucination probably. But than the question what is reality and/or hallucinating what is the difference. Curious if the Photons or Phonon has something to do with such state. Is there a difference between hallucinating or as we see reality?. Reality in practice in the determing stage we are thinking an life in. Basically for us mortals we only can determine things in one state an in 99.999% of the cases we reason from the determining perspective. We are not capable enough to understand or comprehend Quantum entanglement (the opposite of determining) in our daily life ore reason from that perspective. Some weeks ago I was invited at the Delft technical university Qutech here in Holland regarding ongoing development of keeping quantum bits stable. One of the professors told us "if somebody says he understand Quantum entanglement than he does not" LOL. For me living in the now (whatever that means) an determining that I listen to Ahmad Jamal is more than enough. ;)

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course it does. I mean, when the Death Star blew up, you could hear the BOOM. Explain THAT, Mr. Smart Guy.

Exactly, you can't argue against facts. I remember once some lunatic I knew was absolutely convinced that Star Wars was all made up, needless to say the deluded half wit was unable to answer my question of how did they know what TIE fighters looked like if it was all "made up". Sadly there are many gullible people out there willing to swallow false news like Darth Vader not being real, ironically the same people seem to believe what they hear on the news, madness.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You'd think that after the moon landing fake and the cover-ups about Elvis's "death," people would catch on.

Top Bottom