• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Needing to downsize amplification - but what amp(s)?

Vistance

Hi all, first time poster (long term lurker and appreciator of this site though!). I have had an ongoing problem in my main listening room which is on a 15A circuit, and the poor room is probably screaming given I have a full home theater running in it...I mostly subscribed forever to the school of big bad amplifiers and what not. So some many years ago I found a good deal on an amp brand I always heard was great (Threshold Stasis 3) and then realized I wanted to do surround sound and found a pretty great deal on a 6 channel ATI amplifier (AT1506).

For a little background, I used to use both of those amps together for a 4 channel surround set up (room is too small for 5 channel based on few times I tried it). That set up frequently tripped the breaker. So I switched purely to the ATI, however realized today after it happened twice - this amplifier can draw up to 1800 watts (15A)...and I have a Rythmik L22 subwoofer also hooked up, along with an M1 Mac Mini, a laptop, and a desktop gaming computer.

So that said, it seems prudent that I need to downsize in consumption to a much more reasonable amp given it is likely the highest wattage drawer I have. In the coming years I'll likely move to a larger house and have more proper listening space, thus will keep the big beasts in storage for a later time. My 4 channel setup are all Totem Dreamcatchers, all 4 ohm 87.5db/w efficiency speakers (and a super surprise when I found them in a thrift store for peanuts and these dethroned the B&W DM602's I had used for several years).

My budget is kind of a question mark, because while I can and would be willing to spend a decent little chunk on it - if it's really stupid overkill (like an 85+ lb monster amplifier in what most consider a bedroom) then I think I need to reel it in a bit and can probably be a bit more thrifty. Mind you, I need this to mate up with my surround processor, an aging Integra DTC 9.8. So with that stated, can I use say one of these Topping or other Chinese integrated amps? The downside of course being that almost all of them have a volume pot and I'd have to max it out and then hook to my processor. That seems inherently kind of wrong to me...but I am unsure of any dedicated pure amplifiers in the same ilk or if I'm wrong and doing that is actually ok.

I could use a pair of stereo amps since I'm using an oddball 4 channel set up, but same stipulation applies. Or a singular 5/6/7/+ channel amp would work, assuming it does not draw a ton of juice. Power usage wise, most of the time I am not blasting anything but a few times I really crank it up and notice I am almost at 0 dB with this monster ATI amplifier. That is extremely short term and if I had to give that up, I would be ok as it's me playing music so I can hear it from the other room sometimes. I am not someone who plays or enjoys loud volume, so I am kind of unsure the true wattage I need. Let's start off at $1k or under (e.g. 2x stereo amps I can use that are more efficient, or a single multichannel amp that is more efficient and not sucking 1800W).

I've had a long time heat issue in this room and the ATI does not help at all, being roasting hot to the touch after a few hours, so a Class D would be wonderful but I'm open to hear ideas both used, new, vintage, or what have you.

OP
V

Vistance

I'd pull a separate 15A mains circuit.
That will cost you less than a new amp.
It's not really up to me, so I really do have to make do with it as is. Also to add, the system inexplicably does not have any issue tripping the breaker 98% of the time. But I'd rather 100% for consistency. Likely something with just a little less power draw would do the trick, but I'd rather knock out with room to spare given I'm sure I'll need to use a set up in a 15A wired room again - thus a more reasonable amplifier will duly be needed.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nord is building 4 channel amps with double Hypex NC252MP modules.
2x650W PSU.

You may ask if it can work with 120V AC or if they can make it work.

Should cost you below $1500, depending on your tax rate, shipping costs, ...

Top Bottom