• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Needing support with Topping D10 & Raspberry & Airplay

Ceku

Hello,

Just trying to find a solution to listen to 16/44.1 KHz via Apple Music "wirelessly" by the following tools I have:
Iphone > ??? > Topping D10 > Ampli > Speakers

How can I fill this "???" in order to get Airplay to it and transfer both sound and power to Topping D10?
Having troubling time with D10 since it has only 1 single input which is USB, and not having a separate power cable.
1648929011923.png

I browsed a lot on the forum and it seems that the right answer is Raspberry Pi. But which one and how? Any guidance?
Or, is there any other solutions?

Please advise.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hello,

Just trying to find a solution to listen to 16/44.1 KHz via Apple Music "wirelessly" by the following tools I have:
Iphone > ??? > Topping D10 > Ampli > Speakers

How can I fill this "???" in order to get Airplay to it and transfer both sound and power to Topping D10?
Having troubling time with D10 since it has only 1 single input which is USB, and not having a separate power cable.
View attachment 197243
I browsed a lot on the forum and it seems that the right answer is Raspberry Pi. But which one and how? Any guidance?
Or, is there any other solutions?

Please advise.
An iPhone with Apple Music + camera connection kit lightning cable with ability to external 5 v power supply ( ie an ordinary iphone charger or other USB charger ) + Topping D10 = finished.

Or a Mac + Topping D10 using the iPhone as a AirPlay source remote with Apple music sending to the Mac.

With AirPlay you only get 16 bit 44,1 or 48 kHz lossless. With Iphone+cameraconnection lightning kit + Topping, or with Mac +Topping and Apple Music you can play 24 bit 192 kHz music.

Last edited:
OP
Ceku

Ceku

An iPhone with Apple Music + camera connection kit lightning cable with ability to external 5 v power supply ( ie an ordinary iphone charger or other USB charger ) + Topping D10 = finished.

Or a Mac + Topping D10 using the iPhone as a AirPlay source remote with Apple music sending to the Mac.
Yes but I'm looking for a complete wireless solution from my Iphone.
Iphone should airplay to "X", and "X" should both transfer the electric/power and sound to DAC.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes but I'm looking for a complete wireless solution from my Iphone.
Iphone should airplay to "X", and "X" should both transfer the electric/power and sound to DAC.
iPhone with AirPlay wireless to a Rasberry pi 3 or 4 powering Topping D10 will probably be fine and the cheapest solution.
Edit: Rpi 3 is a good enough unit.

Last edited:
OP
Ceku

Ceku

iPhone with AirPlay wireless to a Rasberry pi4 powering Topping D10 will probably be fine and the cheapest solution.
Pi4 seems to be slightly better than Pi2 and 3.
Do you think this will do?

MCH

Major Contributor
I have never used it but moodeaudio has an airplay renderer. How well it works or if it is capable of 16bit/44khz i don't know, you can ask in moodeaudio.org
What you need is wifi and a raspberry pi (most people will recommend you the model 4b. Others will work too) and install moodeaudio. It is easy even if it is your first pi project. The pi will power the dac through usb.
I am sure there are other solutions, good luck.

Ps: in theory any raspberry pi will work except the zero non w (because it has no wifi). If you are in a budget you can try the zero 2w, if not, go for the 4b, the 2gb version will suffice.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Do you think this will do?

I have no experience myself putting together a Rpi kit but people seems to be happy with the performance.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am going to use a first gen airport express with my up coming Topping E30, it might be good enough. If not, I might explore the Raspberry avenue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom