• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need your help and advice on a configuration

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So the big question is : how to get the 6 signals out of the Mac ? Any idea ?
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use something like JRiver Media Center to output the digital signal via USB, and what kind of device could accept it.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use something like JRiver Media Center to output the digital signal via USB, and what kind of device could accept it.

You should be fine with any multichannel DAC, like a pro interface.

HooStat

You should be fine with any multichannel DAC, like a pro interface.
It looks like the Oktodac works fine. It has a multichannel USB input and 8 DAC analog outputs.

Is there any product that simply splits the digital output without a DAC? Some active speakers are fully digital and the DAC is not necessary (though it works fine using an A-D converter).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this would work to simply route the USB multichannel to different digital outputs? Not sure how to use the outputs into either AES/EBU or Toslink though.

https://www.rme-usa.com/digiface-usb.html

That kind of thing should work. You may want to start a different thread with more details about what you're trying to do with that setup though.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

HooStat

miniDSP U-DIO8
Thank you very much. That solves the problem of how to go to an active DSP-based professional speaker (like Genelec). I had looked at RME and miniDSP but clearly did not look at everything. Very much appreciated.

Senior NEET Engineer

I have a Topping DX3, miniDSP SHD, NAD 758 V3, and XMC-1 and I doubt I can hear a difference. Even with my small speakers I never need to exceed 0.4V output from the AVR. My choice would be option 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom