• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Volume Control with Proper Remote

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apologize if this topic has been up before. But it seems I can't find anything on stepped attenuators.

PC>Jriver> Audiolense> minidsp UDIO8> 2 DACs(Music Fidelity V90 > 2 power amps > Speakers

It is a multiplicand set up with two potentially three frequency ranges. The VDAC is powerful enough to run the power ams with its 2.2v.

I am aware that the UDIO8 software should control everything properly but I really would like a remote control. If I am wrong here please educate me but minidsp tech is confident that the software should be good in controlling volume. Buys me some time till I figure out remote option.

Is a stepped attenuator a good option before the power amps? Some of the decent ones are expensive plus remote control it gets even more pricey. But because right now I am going with second hand DACs with no preamp plus the fact that i need to control them simultaneously I am considering a stepped attenuator. The price might defeat the purpose of the second hand DACS but if I want to control from seating position I need something.

And should the preamp be passive or is it just better to go with active for this set up?

Anyway, what options do I have. I have seen a two tested by Amir, but they measured below average.

Any direction and help would be appreciated.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'd suggest the Schiit Saga S. Possibly the least expensive option and it's buffered.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
I'd suggest the Schiit Saga S. Possibly the least expensive option and it's buffered.

It is a very good option. And its been measured so yeh great idea. But unfortunately it only has 2 outputs leaves me stuck if I go with the third frequency range.

Actually now that i think of it, would the third piece in the chain add noise? Especially if there RCA connects...

raindance

Major Contributor
Just add a Y- cable. So long as you don't run it passive, the output impedance is low enough.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Just add a Y- cable. So long as you don't run it passive, the output impedance is low enough.

When you say Y cable you mean for adding the third power amp in future? I am lost sorry...

I was just reading Amir's write up and he reckons passive mode wont work with anything less than input impedance of 30k. My power amp on average is 47k input impedance. Would passive work with this in mind?

raindance

Major Contributor
Don't run it passive!

Yes, a y cable or a T- connector (RCA) for the other output you need.

Last edited:

Snafu

Probably not exactly what you are talking about, but I got some time ago Denafrips Hestia preamp (the volume control is 85 steps microprocessor controlled relay based stepped attenuator).

And talking about proper remote control it's remote is made of aluminium block with metal buttons. It weights 309g :D

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/denafrips2/

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Probably not exactly what you are talking about, but I got some time ago Denafrips Hestia preamp (the volume control is 85 steps microprocessor controlled relay based stepped attenuator).

And talking about proper remote control it's remote is made of aluminium block with metal buttons. It weights 309g :D

This is not a bad option also.... Thank you.

It gives me 2 channels which is less than what I want
but still better than nothing. But no passive mode. Although I am not sure which mode passive or active will suit my set up better, my amateur thinking makes me think switching between the two would be preferable.

I am curious if one of my DACS is a DAC/Preamp would this cause an issue having two preamps(the above as a volume control between the DAC and power amp) in the chain?

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Don't run it passive!

Yes, a y cable or a T- connector (RCA) for the other output you need.
Are you 100% sure this will work?

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Yes, it will work. Also the Schiit unit is unity gain, so won't add much noise to your signal chain. Unlike a preamp with gain.

That's great. Appreciate it. I'll take your word for it. Now I don't have to look for one that has the three outputs.

And the option above mentioned by Snafu https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-hestia-preamp

What do you think of this? It is more expensive and Im still yet to find something second hand but curious how it would work as it has no passive mode. Is this unity gain or gain?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It is a multiplicand set up with two potentially three frequency ranges.

That's great. Appreciate it. I'll take your word for it. Now I don't have to look for one that has the three outputs.

Won't you need one with three inputs? Six channels of attenuation?

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor

And the option above mentioned by Snafu https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-hestia-preamp

What do you think of this? It is more expensive and Im still yet to find something second hand but curious how it would work as it has no passive mode. Is this unity gain or gain?
Their specs don't state gain but there can't be much as the rated unbalanced output is 2 volts. I don't know. Their spec is worthless.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor

Yes of course your correct, I would definitely need one with minimum 3 inputs. But the Shiit Saga has 5 inputs if I have understood correctly...

What confuses me is that it says
Inputs: 5 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
Outputs: 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote

Its the write up from Shiit.

So can I use the inputs and outputs simultaneously?

raindance

Major Contributor
You should be aware of the fact that unity gain means your source needs to be able to drive each of your amps to full power without added gain. Make sure you verify the input voltage / gain specs on the rest of your system.

raindance

Major Contributor
Yes of course your correct, I would definitely need one with minimum 3 inputs. But the Shiit Saga has 5 inputs if I have understood correctly...

What confuses me is that it says
Inputs: 5 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
Outputs: 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote

Its the write up from Shiit.

So can I use the inputs and outputs simultaneously?

No! One input routes to one output. I'm not sure if you can choose both outputs, but I suspect only one is actively buffered, so you'd be driving everything off that one output.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor

I think i just got what you said. Let see if I understood this correctly....

Yes 6 channels. So i need 6 balanced XLR outs or 6 RCA outs. That is what you were getting at right? The Shiit has 5 so technically not enough....

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
The manual says "Select THE (as in one) input you want to listen to"

Then, as I read it, it sends that single input to a pair of outputs.

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/saga S manual.pdf

Damn, so technically this preamp is not made for my set up. I need 3 inputs simultaneously.

This is a good option but fairly expensive.

http://hattor.com/dualmono_preamp_the_big.html

I mean I can potentially use the master volume control from the UDIO8 software but there goes the comfort level of listening with a remote....

Or worst case I need to get a multichannel DAC with preamp.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yes 6 channels. So i need 6 balanced XLR outs. That is what you were getting at right?

I think it unlikely you will find a multi-channel attenuator.

Just do it at the source (or the UDI08 if it supports volume) and be careful.

Top Bottom