• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need very small subwoofer

Charliecj

Due to my wife being in charge of the living room, I can only have small, white stereo equipment. I just purchased the Bluesound Powernode 2i to power the passive Audioengines P4’s. I definitely need a sub to smooth out the highs and give me some lows. Due to size constraints I am looking at the new SVS 3000 micro, the Elac slim 2020 or the Rel T5i. My room has a low ceiling and is about 14 feet deep but extends to the left of listening area about 30 feet. Not looking for earth shattering base just a richer sound with decent base. Thanks

OP
C

Charliecj

See my ‘subwoofer comparison’ spreadsheet for lots* of options.

Svs 3000 micro seems like a winner, but we’ll have to wait for cea-2010-a measurements to find out how well it performs.

Since you didn’t specify a budget, I can’t make further recommendations.
“I am intrigued by the Kef KC 62. Very cool design but a little more than I want to spend. The SVS at $800 sounds sweeter “

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i've posted a lot in the SVS 3000 sub, but i think it is quite sufficient for most space constrained setups.

OP
C

Charliecj

1. Get a new wife.

2. Buy the biggest subwoofer you can. Buy several, in fact.

3.Problem solved.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
I did see a six foot high subwoofer the other day! And I will need a new wife if I get me one

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't regret being single. Can't even imagining only being "allowed" to have annoyingly small white speakers and subs. I suppose you do not allow her a shoe or purse collection in return?

ps But the SVS would be my leading choice over Kef or Rel easily.

Slayer

1. Get a new wife.

3.Problem solved.

If you get a six foot high subwoofer you definitely deserve a new wife.
I was going to post something regarding wives, but i didn't want to offend anyone, seeing how easy that seems to be in todays cultural environment.
Seeing that you started the ball, i will keep it rolling.

It never fails to blow my mind everyday when i read these post's about the wife approval factor. "Really" we let them basically design the Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom. At the very least the man should have the guts or balls to stand up and say " I am designing the Entertainment room ".
If the don't like it, go around and start changing the Bedroom, Bathroom and Kitchen, see how fast they change their mind.
Men today have got to start standing their ground. Quit worrying what some yahoo says is supposed to be the knew normal. Because it ain't normal. When men start being men again, they will see how fast their wife actually enjoys and appreciates them even more.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to post something regarding wives, but i didn't want to offend anyone, seeing how easy that seems to be in todays cultural environment.

It never fails to blow my mind everyday when i read these post's about the wife approval factor. "Really" we let them basically design the Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom. At the very least the man should have the guts or balls to stand up and say " I am designing the Entertainment room ".
If the don't like it, go around and start changing the Bedroom, Bathroom and Kitchen, see how fast they change their mind.
Men today have got to start standing their ground. Quit worrying what some yahoo says is supposed to be the knew normal. Because it ain't normal. When men start being men again, they will see how fast their wife actually enjoys and appreciates them even more.

Doesn't take much to enable some folk, does it?

Longshan

Well, I think a man who has a wife probably regards her as the most important person in his life, so I don't really agree that men should just dictate to their wives, as you seem to suggest. Every relationship is different, and what is appropriate in one marriage may not be in another. But I think we should always take into account our actions and decisions when they will have an impact on someone. That seems especially true when it's your wife, since part of your job is to make her life a happier one. It goes both ways, of course.

So the joke is that you would never get rid of your wife in order to get a subwoofer, because having a wife is a much better life than being alone with a subwoofer.

♂️

Slayer

Doesn't take much to enable some folk, does it?
Doesn't take much to grow a pair either. ;)
It goes both ways, of co‍urse
That was kind of the gist of my post. It's a give and take relationship. You can't always just give in. Believe it or not, most women, want a take charge man, who isn't afraid to standup and make a decision before always asking for approval.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't take much to grow a pair either. ;)

That was kind of the gist of my post. It's a give and take relationship. You can't always just give in. Believe it or not, most women, want a take charge man, who isn't afraid to standup and make a decision before always asking for approval.

Deary me. How thoroughly depressing.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Due to my wife being in charge of the living room, I can only have small, white stereo equipment. I just purchased the Bluesound Powernode 2i to power the passive Audioengines P4’s. I definitely need a sub to smooth out the highs and give me some lows. Due to size constraints I am looking at the new SVS 3000 micro, the Elac slim 2020 or the Rel T5i. My room has a low ceiling and is about 14 feet deep but extends to the left of listening area about 30 feet. Not looking for earth shattering base just a richer sound with decent base. Thanks

Roughly how many cubic feet is your space, including any open adjacent areas?

OP
C

Charliecj

I don't regret being single. Can't even imagining only being "allowed" to have annoyingly small white speakers and subs. I suppose you do not allow her a shoe or purse collection in return?

ps But the SVS would be my leading choice over Kef or Rel easily.
She has the final say in our living room but I do have another stereo room which I have the final say. So her dictatorship is only partial. And yes the tiny SVS is probably my next purchase. So glad that they just came out with it!
Roughly how many cubic feet is your space, including any open adjacent areas?
its about 15 feet deep and 30 feet wide. Low ceiling so the acoustics aren’t bad.

Katji

Major Contributor
Men today have got to start standing their ground. Quit worrying what some yahoo says is supposed to be the knew normal.

:oops:

I'm not offended, just depressed. :confused: ...About "today's cultural environment."

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Let's not degenerate this in a misogynic rant-fest. For a marriage to survive, there will be compromises. Yielding some ground (literally) to the spouse is not a lack of manhood-ness :D. It is a prudent and wise way to keep some things of (greater?) value going. It is a matter of balance. For the record, I have my cave where I can do whatever I want ... yielding to the realities of communal life, I had to give up the Living Room :facepalm:
Some manufacturers are conscious of these choices. SVS, Kef. Kii , Dutch and Dutch. Genelec* could for one, there are other one of them I believe on this very forum. Thinking about it aloud: Really great speakers such as the D&D 8C and Kii 3 and Devialet Phantom (The spinorama and measurements jury is out on this one ).

*Genelec seems to have punted the Home market with their half-assed efforts. The One series are small enough to blend in many domestic environments. Genelec offers them in colors that can only please a coroner.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Get a new wife.

3.Problem solved.

I would go the other way around:

1) Buy a big subwoofer, then a second one, then a third... etc. until the wife leaves.

2) Just remove the last one bought and tell her she can come back.

3) Problem solved.

Top Bottom