• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need to switch from speakers to HPs! What’s best?

intrance

Hi!

Have been lurking for a while but decided to do my first post now with a question that is close to my heart.

Since forever I’ve been listening to music on my floor speakers (Dali Rubicon 5) and been really happy with it. However, now with 2 children at home it’s becoming increasingly difficult to listen to music at decent sound levels in the evenings without waking them. So a switch to headphones it is!

I already own some BeoPlay H6 (which I guess are decent mid-level HPs?) on a Dragonfly Red (Atom stack is ordered) and also EQed them to Harman now (didn’t notice much of a difference, but that might just be me). However, this is still so far away from the pleasure of listening to my floor speakers. All the “spaciousness”(?) and “being part of the performance” of the speakers is gone. Question is: will other headphones make it any better?

This is where my confusion really starts. I’m totally new to thinking about headphones in depth and also the whole idea of EQing is new to me. If I understand some of the threads here correctly, EQing HPs to Harman will basically neutralize most / all(?) of the differences across HPs? So, if I’m not really happy about my BeoPlays, I will never really be happy with any headphones? That would be quite sad, actually!

Any thoughts / ideas from those who made a similar switch?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Set a budget first. And post it in this thread. As you already own a closed back headphone, you may want to go with an open back for a new pair.
BTW, how are you EQing your headphones? Also, what are your tastes in music?

OP
I

intrance

Sure, thanks!

Budget is not a major constraint (anything up to ~1.5k goes), but if I can spend less and get the same, I'll obviously also be happy ;)

Also, what are your tastes in music?
My music taste is pretty wide (except classical music and hardcore techno): Trip Hop, Funk, Alternative, Rock, ... I do a lot of exploring.

BTW, how are you EQing your headphones?
Listen exclusively via my Windows PC. EQed them with APO/PEACE using the InnerFidelity settings (seem to be the best available for my headphones)

Top Bottom