• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need to replace my tweeters on Infinity Primus 360 Tower speakers

OP
A

Audio1000!

The capacitor in a tweeter crossover is in series with the tweeter.

If the capacitor is shorted the tweeter will receive the full frequency spectrum including the low frequencies,

if so this tweeter may also burn out...

Ohms
Interesting and indeed possible. I will keep an ear on it. If it does I will buy another tweeter and try to find a crossover. At least there are not too many parts involved...unlike when I use to work on cars- even when you knew the trouble code, there are too many parts involved which made troubleshooting more challenging.

Elkerton

I see that you have replaced your tweeters, keep the old ones.

If you have any issues with the new ones you can have the originals repaired.
The Speaker Exchange

Ohms
Nearly did that myself, that is, ordered from them, but it meant sending them my tweeters, their repairing them, and sending them back. It's still a good choice.

OP
A

Audio1000!

Nah, too much work. Bought $17 tweeters online. They sound great. I used a hole saw and cut out a circle on the old tweeter and glued this new one over it since it was smaller in dimension. It looks great. It was a recessed square area on the speaker. The old housing fits perfectly, attaches with OEM screws. The new smaller square tweeter w/housing nests on top of it. You would never know it was not OEM. Might be messy if this tweeter goes bad e.g., bad capacity in crossover as root cause, but only time will tell. I'm not too worried. These parts are not expensive. System sounds great. My KC64 sounds good but will likely go back to Best Buy. $1,500 is just too much. My REL HT/1205 MKI arrives in 2 days. I am sure it will be good enough for my basic needs. It was on sale for $449 and I bought a 4 year Best Buy warranty so I am completely covered.

Thanks again to all for all the helpful tips. One last quick one- how important is a surge protector- any recommendations on joules needed?

Cheers!

Keith Conroy

Can anyone suggest an upgrade tweeter for replacement? One of them went bad (no sound.) I will test with meter but likely need to upgrade anyway.

Thanks.
You have some good input here from other posts! Yes, 1st check to make 100% sure the tweeter is bad? I think better to check with a multi-meter then a battery. You can find a new multi-meter for $20.00 or under. A multi-meter will tell you if the tweeter is good or bad? However it will also measure the voice coil DCR. So this will tell you if the speaker is nominal 4 ohms or 8 ohms. An ohms DCR reading of 4 to 2.8 ohms will denote a 4 ohm tweeter. An 8 ohm tweeter will have a DCR reading of 7ohms to 5.5 ohms. Its always idea to replace speakers with original replacements. This is because your passive crossover was designed using the stock speaker parameters. However that said, I think on a tweeter you can bend the rules and try a close replacement if you wish????.............If you are going to replace it might be best to replace both tweeters. Try to gather as much data on your stock tweeter you can? Things like Tweeter Size, Tweeter Sensitivity, System Crossover Point.............Try to at least match Tweeter size......Impedance.....Sensitivity..........?? Of course hole cut size matters & has to be matched? Another item.........If the stock tweeter high pass filter is say 3000hz. Then pick a tweeter with a FS or resonant frequency of 1/2 that number 1500hz or less? Parts Express & Madisound are 2 good choices to purchase tweeter from. I would not spend a fortune on them though?????????

OP
A

Audio1000!

Thanks. I ultimately replaced both tweeters with generic ones from Parts Express- $17 each. Works great for now anyway. If the tweeter blew to a bad crossover it could blow again. I never play loud so time will tell. I modified my existing housing using a whole saw. I placed the new tweeter over the OEM housing and glued it in place. All the electronics nest inside. It looks better than stock. I could not find a direct replacement. As far as Ohms- it was 4ohms. the other numbers/specs matched up nicely. It's only a 20 watt tweeter but hopefully it is enough.

Top Bottom