• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need to replace my TEAC AI101DA (desktop setup)

Hello! After three years of daily use the TEAC AI101-DA DAC/amp in my desktop setup is dying. Looking online the 101 is no longer available but I can buy a TEAC AI-301DA for $500. I'm not sure I want to do that though, I think I can get much better for the money. I'd like to stick around/under $500 per component probably but could be talked up to maybe $600. I don't mind going lower as long as the gear is good quality. I'm in the US.

At the end of the day I need one or more components to serve audio from a PC to a pair of passive speakers, a powered sub, and headphones.

Input
* PC (USB preferred, Optical available)

Outputs
* HiVi 3.1A kit (passive 4ohm speakers rated 10W-150W)
* SVS SB-2000 Pro (powered sub, prefer mono RCA but flexible)
* Unbalanced headphones (Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, Drop THX Pandas on order)

It would be really, really nice to have a volume knob, but if I need to use the volume wheel on my keyboard to control Windows volume it's an option. Same thing with a dedicated sub output - I'd love a dedicated sub out but if I have to split somewhere to feed the sub then so be it. The sub has its own crossover, but it would be nice to have a way to take the bass out of my speakers. But then in all the potential builds I've made that let me do that I have the possible cost of a post-DAC analog signal being run through AD/DA conversion at 48/96khz to facilitate DSP. But if I go with a build with either of my top two potential DACs then I could possibly put some sort of dedicated crossover between the DAC and the speaker amp, although I'm not in love with that option either. I posted a separate thread about it, but are either the AD/DA conversion or not taking bass out of my speakers really bad? If so, how bad? Which is the lesser of two evils?

Potential DACs
* SMSL M500
* Topping DX7S
* MiniDSP 2x4HD
* ?

Potential Amps
* SMSL DA-8s
* Crown XLS1002
* ?

What do you think? What would you do in my shoes? What components/builds have I missed that you would recommend? Thanks a bunch!!

OP
vertical_mammal
I like this little Yamaha that's been reviewed here. However, it doesn't have an on board headphone amp:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

Thanks! That is a nice-looking unit but not quite what I want, no headphone options is a deal-breaker for me. I've decided to go separates. As of now the planned endgame is PC > SMSL M500 > XLR to THX 789 for headphones. Then PC > SMSL M500 > RCA to MiniDSP 2x4HD for correction and crossover > 2 channels to SMSL SA300 speaker amp serving my HiVi 3.1a passive speakers and 1 channel to SVS SB2000 Pro powered sub. Pretty stoked!

Top Bottom