• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need to know whether a DAC/amp will hiss with my sensitive IEMs—how to interpret Amir's measurements?

Dentin

I own 115 dB/mW sensitivity Andromeda IEMs and 94 dB/mW sensitivity Sundara headphones, so I'm searching for a reasonably-priced battery-powered portable DAC/amp with a ~1 ohm output impedance, respectable power output, and a noise floor low enough (-110 dBv is ideal according to what I've read) to not hiss with the Andromedas. I've been burned by subjectivist recommendations before, so I'd like to look at measurements to figure out what to try next.

It's easy enough to learn whether a DAC meets the first two requirements through Amir's reviews, but I don't know how to distinguish between noise floor and distortion when looking at Amir's measurements. How would I go about doing this?

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I also have Andromeda IEM and I hear the hiss from nearly every portable source I’ve tried. Sony NW-ZX2, Chord Mojo, Dragonfly Red, Oppo HA-2se, Apple Lightning 3.5 dongle, iPhone 5se. The only one quiet so far is Apple USB-C 3.5 dongle. Probably you can get some numbers from corresponding measurements.

Graph Feppar

I think the Radsone ES100 uses these ampDac AKM ICs which have integrated analog volume control, the output impedance is supposed to be low too so that is worth investigating.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I own 115 dB/mW sensitivity Andromeda IEMs and 94 dB/mW sensitivity Sundara headphones, so I'm searching for a reasonably-priced battery-powered portable DAC/amp with a ~1 ohm output impedance, respectable power output, and a noise floor low enough (-110 dBv is ideal according to what I've read) to not hiss with the Andromedas. I've been burned by subjectivist recommendations before, so I'd like to look at measurements to figure out what to try next.

It's easy enough to learn whether a DAC meets the first two requirements through Amir's reviews, but I don't know how to distinguish between noise floor and distortion when looking at Amir's measurements. How would I go about doing this?
Here is a review that addresses your issue. I use the fiio and I am impressed with the dac/amp quality. They do mention your iem's and the noise issue. There is also an ASR review.

https://headfonics.com/2017/10/fiio-q1-mark-ii-review/2/

I recently mentioned in another thread it could be helpful to test portable dac/amps etc with transducers often used with portable setups , iem's etc.

Top Bottom