• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need to decide: JDS Atom/Topping D50s, Monoprice THX AAA Balanced THX AAA 887/SMSL SU-8 V2, TOPPING DX7 Pro

OP
C

Celty

I have had and been enjoying the HD6XX Headphones, and finally (!) the HE4XX are arriving tomorrow, so a decision will be pressing hard on me :) .
The wisdom and experience you have been sharing here has been, if anything, making it tougher as the suggestions and knowledge has given me so much to chew on.

You folk really do rock!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I have had and been enjoying the HD6XX Headphones, and finally (!) the HE4XX are arriving tomorrow, so a decision will be pressing hard on me :) .
The wisdom and experience you have been sharing here has been, if anything, making it tougher as the suggestions and knowledge has given me so much to chew on.

You folk really do rock!

I have both. I keep both for different reasons. I might phase one out if I eventually get the Arya.

If you like your HE4XX, try the grill mod, as I did with mine. Its 100% reversible.

See if you like the differences it makes to the overall sound signature of the headphone.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
While waiting for your new THX 887 and before deciding on a 'permanent' DAC, why not spend $9 for a Apple dongle to play with? And compare to sound card, and 'better' DAC when you pick one? Might be fun to compare...'signatures'..:)

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since I have not used an external DAC/Amp before let alone these specific products, I have a "simple" question. Do you think there is an apparent difference in sound quality between the Atom/D50s and the more expensive options?
Having owned many DACs, such as the Topping D10, D50, D50s, SMSL M8, Sanskrit 10th, Sanskrit Pro B, SU-8, iFi Nano iOne, Micro iDSD, TEAC NT-503, Oppo UDP 205, Khadas Tone Board, and RME ADI-2 DAC, I can say that I didn't hear much of any difference between them, all from memory recollection, mind you.

I currently own the D50s combined with the Atom, and the ADI-2 DAC hooked up to my iFi Pro iCan. If I use the amp in the ADI-2 for my headphones, I feel it sounds the same as my Atom/D50s combo. Add the iCan Pro in solid state mode, and it seems to do something to color the sound just a bit, at least to my almost 52 year old ears that I enjoy, which is why I still own it, and would like Amir to measure it some day to see if anything can be learned.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having owned many DACs, such as the Topping D10, D50, D50s, SMSL M8, Sanskrit 10th, Sanskrit Pro B, SU-8, iFi Nano iOne, Micro iDSD, TEAC NT-503, Oppo UDP 205, Khadas Tone Board, and RME ADI-2 DAC, I can say that I didn't hear much of any difference between them, all from memory recollection, mind you.

I currently own the D50s combined with the Atom, and the ADI-2 DAC hooked up to my iFi Pro iCan. If I use the amp in the ADI-2 for my headphones, I feel it sounds the same as my Atom/D50s combo. Add the iCan Pro in solid state mode, and it seems to do something to color the sound just a bit, at least to my almost 52 year old ears that I enjoy, which is why I still own it, and would like Amir to measure it some day to see if anything can be learned.
I don't mean to be rude, but after you tried the first four or five DACs that sounded the same, why work through all the others?

OP
C

Celty

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I don't mean to be rude, but after you tried the first four or five DACs that sounded the same, why work through all the others?
Probably because I am an idiot, lol. But I have usually broke even or a little less selling them, and even made quite a bit of money on a few, and I have enjoyed the whole time doing it. It's a hobby, I like headphones and the stuff to run them.
But I have pretty much settled down with the ADI-2, it's a beautiful piece of equipment and not going anywhere.

Last edited:

laidick

Forum Donor
Probably because I am an idiot, lol. But I have usually broke even or a little less selling them, and even made quite a bit of money on a few, and I have enjoyed the whole time doing it. It's a hobby, I like headphones and the stuff to run them.
But I have pretty much settled down with the ADI-2, it's a beautiful piece of equipment and not going anywhere.

I would say there is always an 'upgrade bug' in us, as audiophile or whatever has this as our hobby.
There is just no reason for upgrade but just wanted to (at least myself ). May be, for the sake of curiosity to know how good the device could be due to the measurement figure? I dunno...

raif71

Major Contributor

That's a lot of dacs and the experience you had with them would be invaluable. So, between the 1st dac and the current, how long in between?

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
That's a lot of dacs and the experience you had with them would be invaluable. So, between the 1st dac and the current, how long in between?
My first out of the bunch was the iFi iDSD Micro, bought sometime in 2014. That thing was great, had a beast of an amp built in, way more than I needed for the headphones I had at the time, and probably now, lol. The rest has just been upgrade-itus, and throwing money down the old rabbit hole with each low priced DAC that measures even better than the last, to be honest. Except the RME, that gets so much love from folks, I had to have one, lol.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
My first out of the bunch was the iFi iDSD Micro, bought sometime in 2014. That thing was great, had a beast of an amp built in, way more than I needed for the headphones I had at the time, and probably now, lol. The rest has just been upgrade-itus, and throwing money down the old rabbit hole with each low priced DAC that measures even better than the last, to be honest. Except the RME, that gets so much love from folks, I had to have one, lol.

At least you weren't throwing it at stuff that cost 5-figures and yet poorly engineered ... because the gang that hangs out at the audio shop says that they were the "latest and greatest" ... :p

OP
C

Celty

Did get the HE4XX and have been listening to them since they arrived. So far, I am enjoying them quite a bit. Now on to the main matter at hand. I have basically decided on the Monolith 887, though the the DX7 Pro has been quite tempting. Unlike the Drop 789, Monoprice does not accept an order for it until it is in stock, which has an ETA of 11/14. I have done the auto-notification thing.

So... now I need to cross my fingers that the 887 does indeed come into stock, and they do not sell out before I order one. Should be better than the Drop 789 current ship date of 12/30. I did order a set of XLR replacement cables for both headphones from Periapt, and a set of 2 ft. XLR interconnects from Amazon. Nothing like getting the cart before the horse :)

Last edited:
OP
C

Celty

OK, the date for the Monolith 887 coming into stock moved to today and yes it came in. So in a Pavlovian response, I hit the order button immediately! Monoprice shipping was a bit steep for this day and age. The cheapest option was like $11, but I ordered anyway.

Now my next dilemma - the DAC. I had planned to wait a bit on this, but I can order the SMSL SU-8 at the Drop price of $170.00 today, with a price match from Apos. Other than the aesthetics of a color mismatch with the 887, I am way tempted on this, as I doubt I will find a better price / performance deal.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

strangeskies

OK, the date for the Monolith 887 coming into stock moved to today and yes it came in. So in a Pavlovian response, I hit the order button immediately! Monoprice shipping was a bit steep for this day and age. The cheapest option was like $11, but I ordered anyway.

Now my next dilemma - the DAC. I had planned to wait a bit on this, but I can order the SMSL SU-8 at the Drop price of $170.00 today, with a price match from Apos. Other than the aesthetics of a color mismatch with the 887, I am way tempted on this, as I doubt I will find a better price / performance deal.

Am I wrong?

That's a really good deal, man. And a fantastic set-up.

Also, plug for Apos: I asked for a price-match recently, and they actually found a cheaper price (some 11.11 coupon) and matched that for me. I couldn't believe it. Buy from them with confidence....awesome people.

OP
C

Celty

That's a really good deal, man. And a fantastic set-up.

Also, plug for Apos: I asked for a price-match recently, and they actually found a cheaper price (some 11.11 coupon) and matched that for me. I couldn't believe it. Buy from them with confidence....awesome people.
Too right, I just bought it and CJ already confirmed the price match and completed it! Great folk indeed!

OP
C

Celty

He also said: "Ya the fine folks on ASR have been kind to us. And we are incredibly grateful. "

Last edited:
OP
C

Celty

So with thanks to all the great folk here at Audio Science Review for the kind assistance, my system is all ordered now, and nothing to do now but twiddle my thumbs in anticipation for the arrivals. I'll be sure to follow up when all is up and running. Below are the final selections:

From Amazon: 2 Units - 2 Foot - Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad Balanced Male To Female Microphone Cables With Amphenol AX3M & AX3F Silver XLR Connectors - CUSTOM MADE By WORLDS BEST CABLES - $25.95
interconnects.jpg

From Periapt:
mail

8 - Type 8 - Dual 3.5mm × 1
5ft / Navy / ProXLR
$68.00​
mail

4 - Type 4 - Dual 2 pin Senn HD Series × 1
5ft / Red / ProXLR
$68.00​

From Monoprice:
Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887 Technology - $399.99

Monolith THX.jpg

From Apos:
SMSL SU-8 Version 2 DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) - $249.99 - Price matched to $170.00!

smsl-su-8-version-2-dac.jpg

I also ordered a new surge protector that will be dedicated to audio and run from a different circuit from all the PC gear and accouterments, as that is already rather congested.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
That's gonna be a killer rig, congrats!! And the HE4xx cans are very good sounding for the current price of $130, but the build quality makes me a little nervous.

Top Bottom