• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need some help with making a custom 1/8" TRS to XLR cable

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have A higher end camera top shotgun microphone that uses a 1/8" TRS Male connector for output. I've been using a 1/8" extension cable and a Rode VXLR adapter to connect it to my audio recorder. However, I'm not happy with this setup. I've tried several combinations of cables and Rode adapters, but the female TRS port in the adapter, is always a loose to downright sloppy fit.

I've looked for a ready made cable, but there doesn't seem to be any on the market, at least that I can find. So it seems like I'm going to have to make one. From the research I've done, the Rode VXLR only uses the right channel of the stereo input, it doesn't combine them (if that's the right terminology.)

Can someone give me guidance on how I would go about making a custom cable like this, or point me to a resource that might help?

I've never wired audio cables before, but I'm no stranger to soldering, wiring, and basic circuitry.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
While contact issues with the VXLR seem to be far less common now than they were 10 years ago, some people have been using a combination of stereo 1/8" to 1/4" and 1/4" TRS to XLR adapters to circumvent them with good results. Otherwise you can always break out the ol' soldering iron and get some cable stock and connectors. (Pinout should be the usual T --> 2 hot, R --> 3 cold, S --> 1 shield.)

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
Otherwise you can always break out the ol' soldering iron and get some cable stock and connectors. (Pinout should be the usual T --> 2 hot, R --> 3 cold, S --> 1 shield.)

I did some testing tonight, by sacrificing an extension cable. I cut the female end off and exposed the bare wires, and then plugged it into the the VXLR, and got the following.

• T --> 2
  • R --> nothing
  • S --> 1 & 3

I think I might be able to work with this.

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
I ordered the parts Saturday morning and they arrived yesterday afternoon. I wired it up last night.

IMG_20200817_125131.jpg

Top Bottom