• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need some help for my room correction

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The peaks and nulls are definitely caused by room issues. But the sharp rolloff after 40Hz gives me good reason to suspect the port tuning coincides with a room mode.

small speakers never extend to 20 Hz regardless of room gain. what's so surprising about the rolloff? I think it's pretty common.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The rolloff isn't surprising, I am saying that because the port tune overlaps with a room mode, it is exaggerating the unevenness of the bass, and potentially worth using EQ at that specific 40Hz mark.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The rolloff isn't surprising, I am saying that because the port tune overlaps with a room mode, it is exaggerating the unevenness of the bass, and potentially worth using EQ at that specific 40Hz mark.

Is it a bad thing if they overlap?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
There must be several discussions about MMM in this forum and elsewhere, but it's scattered in different places.

EQ is best done after optimizing (or greatly considering and working with limitations of) room acoustics and placement of speakers and listening chair.

The correction you can do with MMM esp. in the higher the frequencies is going to be fuzzy -- if you want precision there you need to use the actual anechoic (or pseudo-anechoic) curves. However, what people want most of the time is just broad tone-like controls so basic correction like a monitor's HF shelving and low q PEQs is perfectly fine.

In the low bass, it's somewhat easier since the there usually is little variation in outcome between the different methods of measurement techniques used -- wavelengths are pretty long. As others have suggested, fix and focus on the bass peaks first. You mentioned you don't like over-correction... You need to isolate where the "weird" over-correction sound effect comes from... which band-limited part exactly? Is it your in your low-mids correction or treble correction? etc.

If it's the bass sounding different and "anemic"... well, when one has been used to having such extremely uneven boosted bass for a while, it takes time for the brain to accommodate lower levels as the new "normal". And as mentioned before, avoid and limit big, sharp bass boosts. Limit the overall SPL bass boosting EQ to a maximum of 5 or 6dB -- if your speakers can handle it with minimal distortion increasing at your max listening volume.

So, you recommend to add a sub and cross at 80Hz. Why not adding a sub without crossing? I thought there was some benefits to multiply source of bass frequencies in the room (to reduce the resonances related to the room).

You can vary your xo and overlap the bass frequencies as long as the phases don't differ too much causing cancellation dips -- rePhase is useful (per channel correction) with that if you're using multichannel outs where you can apply individual FIR phase filters... But I would still try to cut down the bass coming from the mains to lower distortion and limit your modal peaks. A sub (easier to optimally position where it's actually needed) usually comes with its own LPF and default can be around 120Hz -- you could keep it high as long as it's located in a place that makes it not so "localizable".

OP
Max

Max

Forum Donor
EQ is best done after optimizing (or greatly considering and working with limitations of) room acoustics and placement of speakers and listening chair.

Totally understood. I know that I'm currently limited by my listening room but I keep it in mind for my future home :).

If it's the bass sounding different and "anemic"... well, when one has been used to having such extremely uneven boosted bass for a while, it takes time for the brain to accommodate lower levels as the new "normal".

You're right. I guess the best way will be to take my time and first of all listen music while forgeting the ongoing correction.

Thanks again for the advices. I'll follow them for the PEQ and I'm begining to compare subs. :)

Top Bottom