• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need some help deciding - complete an Atom stack or get a portable amp/dac like the Qudelix-5K (or BTR5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeItWain

Hey all, I've been all over the place on trying to make a decision on my set up and would like to see if anyone has an opinion on completing a JDS stack or keeping it uncomplicated.

I just recently grabbed a JDS Atom Amp+ (based on Amir's review and other people's high regards). It's been crazy to think about this being the same company with the Altoids/CMOY amp too when I first got into headphones and went with a now defunct company (Digizoid... RIP Zo2) but was always hearing rave reviews about the CMOY at that time.

But, I can say without hesitation that the Atom Amp+ is fantastic. It's currently hooked up to a Fluance Turntable (via RCA input) with the RCA output to my 3.1 HT system. I still like to listen on my speakers but I've really found a love for headphone listening again after such a long time.

I'm now fortunately able to convert a small section of my living room area as a dedicated music spot but I'm torn if I should complete an Atom stack or just get a portable headphone amp that I can just use whenever like the Qudelix-5k or the BTR5.

Current Gear: JDS Atom Amp+, Fluance Turntable, Phillips Fidelio X2HR (super fun cans). Planning on expanding headphone line up and getting a Sennheiser HD6xx soon and probably Drop x Dan Clark Aeon closed down the line.

My expectations would be that if I did the Atom stack, I would end up needing to do:

Fluance RCA output -> Atom Amp+ RCA input -> RCA output to Speakers or plug in 1/4" headphone.

Along with this set up, I'd probably have to set it up, in order to keep that current set up, with the Atom stack:

Phone with USB-c to USB type B cable -> Atom DAC+ -> Atom DAC+ RCA output with RCA to 3.5mm cable to Atom Amp+ 3.5 input -> Headphones output on front.

My primary listening is still going to be my vinyl collection but having this corner of audio nirvana would be great to plug my phone in to listen to Tidal or Spotify out of.

Would going for this Atom stack set up work be better than getting a portable amp or would it be better to just keep the Atom Amp+ for only vinyl listening and get the Qudelix-5k or Fiio BTR5 or a similar portable headphone amp without dealing with going from USB-C to USB type B to RCA to 3.5mm?

Thanks in advance!

OP
M

MakeItWain

I think so far I'm leaning towards getting the Atom DAC after talking it over a bit but wondering if anyone else has an opinion or not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom