• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need some help choosing DAC for connecting to my system - do I need 'DAC Only Mode'?

citysoundman

Hi All,
Looking to purchase my first DAC, mostly for streaming FLAC hi-res audio files to two destinations: my existing Rotel stereo (RCA unbalanced in on my Rotel preamp which then goes to the amp) and also to a balanced headphone amp (yet to be purchased but will be a separate unit). Budget is around $600-ish. I've seen DAC's like the Topping D70s that have a 'DAC Mode' where volume control is off. Can someone explain, does this mean the volume out is fixed at 100%, or does this actually bypass preamp circuitry and make it a better/cleaner signal when sending to a preamp or headphone amp like I plan to do?
I'd prefer to spend less and get the Topping EX5, and I'm thinking I could just leave the volume at maximum. But I don't know if this is OK.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
schiit modi 3+ or topping e30 if you want volume control, sounds like you don't.

OP
C

citysoundman

Thanks but I'm hoping to learn if DAC-Only Mode is something that I need in my situation. I won't be needing to use the DAC for volume.

OP
C

citysoundman

I searched the forums and found what I was looking for, seems that DAC Mode is a nice feature but isn't different from having the volume set to 100%.

Top Bottom