• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Power amplifier Recomendations 1000.00 or less 500 watt minimum @4ohm.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ha Ha Ha, I knew I'd rattle some cages. :p

With this little accessory from AP. Only $1750. :)
BTW John, you don't need a fancy gadget to measure depth.
A basic caliper will do the job. ;)
CM-30-1.jpg

Dana reed

The old cliche "all generalizations are false, except this one" applies.

I replaced a pair of pure Class A Krell KAS-2 monoblocks, MSRP = $22k, with a Spectron Musician III Mk. 2 stereo Class D, MSRP = $4k, about 6-7 years ago and never looked back. There were slight but noticeable subjective sonic differences in AB home trial, which were, of course, imperfect due to cable switching time. The difference was mainly in perceived accuracy of detail, but none that I recall in perceived depth, which I believe I am sensitive to and intently listen for. There was no etch, glare or other HF sonic anomaly that I heard. But, cue up Richard Strauss' Salome and the Dance of the Seven Veils. The resale on the aging Krells paid for what I perceived to be a small but perceptable sonic upgrade, with huge savings in bulk, weight and power consumption.

My friends were all telling me, oh, no, not Class D, but I did not want them around during my evaluation. However, they liked what they heard after I had pulled the trigger. I offered my Spectron for their own amp evaluations, but anti-Class D prejudice and the pull of other popular brands kept them from accepting.

Similar comparisons in my system of the Krells to other Class Ds, which were then based on the widely popular original ICE modules, did not favor Class D at all, however. The Spectron used its own, unique Class D circuitry. I believe newer generation ICE modules are improved, particularly at lower impedances. Today, I would surely also consider Hypex, but I am in no rush. The Spectron has served me well and satisfyingly.
I've definitely been eyeing up some class D stuff to get more out of some Magnepans. These ones seem to get some decent reviews and aren't too expensive
https://www.reddragonaudio.com/collections/amplifiers

eugenius

Attachments

• AS1200-Icepower-Stereo-Amplifier-Apollon-Front.jpg
    AS1200-Icepower-Stereo-Amplifier-Apollon-Front.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 347
  • AS1200-Icepower-Stereo-Amplifier-Apollon-Back-Side-Connections.jpg
    AS1200-Icepower-Stereo-Amplifier-Apollon-Back-Side-Connections.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
FYI I hope soon to be measuring a number of amps. So stay tune!
With modern amps like many other electrical components, if they are competently designed they should sound relatively transparent.
What I am most concerned with is the quality of their parts and assembly. I am very concerned with how long these things will last before letting the smoke out than how many veils they might remove. ;)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Possibly a good time to mention my range of Hypex based amps will soon be available, but I wont pollute this thread I will make some noise in the desperate dealers area very soon :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Possibly a good time to mention my range of Hypex based amps will soon be available
Oh sure, and leave us to wonder about it.
Just like the BS ending to Avengers Infinity Wars
Leaving us to wonder who and how they're going to bring those charactors back to life?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With modern amps like many other electrical components, if they are competently designed they should sound relatively transparent.
What I am most concerned with is the quality of their parts and assembly. I am very concerned with how long these things will last before letting the smoke out than how many veils they might remove. ;)
I am measuring low cost amps, many of which seem to hugely exaggerate their power ratings. And they have next to no measurements of their own. So I think we will uncover interesting things.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
many of which seem to hugely exaggerate their power ratings.
Oh No, an exaggeration about a audio component?
Say it ain't so Joe. :p

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Oh sure, and leave us to wonder about it.
Just like the BS ending to Avengers Infinity Wars
Leaving us to wonder who and how they're going to bring those charactors back to life?
OK you have twisted my arm, I just didnt want to go full schill in the thread its not really appropriate, but here is the basic info.

Three amps initially,
NC122MP based 120w/channel into 4 ohms
NC252MP based, 250w/channel into 4 ohms
NC502MP based, 500w/ch
Followed later by
NC500 based 700w/ch with my own input buffer

Usual Hypex clean as a whistle technical performance. Enclosures will match the DAC and headphone amp seen elsewhere on the forum, milled anodized aluminium (aluminum to our American followers ;) ) in black or silver, same width just deeper.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hope that helps :)
Thank you sir! Was just pullin your leg but-------
Looks to be a nice initial lineup
Anxiously await the full product line release on Desperate Dealers!

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am measuring low cost amps, many of which seem to hugely exaggerate their power ratings. And they have next to no measurements of their own. So I think we will uncover interesting things.

I'm looking forward to this! Any chance of listening-based bypass tests, like the Swedish Audio Society has been doing? (apparently they will soon start reviewing amps again - lately they've only looked at dacs). My own view is that most decently manufactured amps should be transparent by now, but you never know. I'm also wondering whether my neurosis about using class d amps for the treble can be put to rest.

bobhol

I'm enjoying this discussion. I had been looking at Crown class D amps for my AR9's while I was in the process of replacing caps and one decomposed surround. But I was happy to find that the Hafler DH-500(tested at over 400 watts @4ohm by HiFi-classic) only needed minor tweaking before it gave me all the power I needed. The AR9's have a reputation as amp killers but considering the fact that my half basement is not a huge space the Hafler may be a bit overkill. The speakers and Amp were a gift from a friend who hadn't used them in over 5 years and was moving back south( Northern Indiana was way to cold for him and his wife).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm looking forward to this! Any chance of listening-based bypass tests, like the Swedish Audio Society has been doing?
Love to build the fixture to do that but just don't have the time right now. But yes, very much interested in running that type of test.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm also wondering whether my neurosis about using class d amps for the treble can be put to rest.
Class D's are probably transparent on the top end by now.
The neurosis part is yours to deal with.
Having my stack of A/B amps overheats my room and runs up my power bill.
But it lets me take off my critical listening cap and just enjoy the music.:D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Class D's are probably transparent on the top end by now.

There's that word again. :)

Unless they outlaw class AB amps for not being energy efficient enough (I bet those EU clowns will try that soon enough), I've got enough to keep me, my offspring and half my neighborhood going for many decades.

As for the heating up the room business, I plan to move to Tasmania (cooler climate) and take all my big space heater amps with me...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's that word again
John, check out this guy.
Art Dudley did an article on him in this (Oct-2018) months Stereophile.
For the tube lovers and old gear guys here a fun read.
Not available on the web yet.
I'd love to have visited his home and work space to hear the rigs he builds.
Maybe not very accucate but loads of fun to see and hear. ;)
http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/

75tl_-_at_VSAC.jpg

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also wondering whether my neurosis about using class d amps for the treble can be put to rest.

Haha. Have a look at measurements of the best of them. There's nothing to worry about in terms of nonlinear distortion or any other measurable phenomenon.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha. Have a look at measurements of the best of them. There's nothing to worry about in terms of nonlinear distortion or any other measurable phenomenon.

The argument is that the measurements don't show the whole picture, because class d amps are usually measured with a filter which filters out the noise in the ultra-high frequencies, which could make a difference, by modulating the audible part of the high frequencies. Benchmark makes this claim for example: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...ory-use-of-the-benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

For the record, I don't have any skin in this game! Have heard many setups with class d amps I've really liked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom