• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need power amp to pair with adi2 dac/pre

Cmcmurphy22

I just bought the RME adi2 and going to use as dac/pre in a small system in my study.
Eyeballing the harbeth p3 or c7 for speakers and looking for a power amp.

I’m not terribly knowledgeable on the technical side and just learning, so my question is about the balanced vs single ended connection between adi2 and amp.

I’ve been thinking I need an amp to run balanced but do I really? What’s that going to give me if I do choose an amp to run it balanced?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
No, you don't really HAVE TO .
But balanced connections may provide better noise isolation than unbalanced.

It matters for sure when the cable between the DAC or pre and the power amp have to be long.
If you want to go for a pair of monoblocks, and have them close to the loudspeakers, then the balanced interconnects may make a difference.
Same for active speakers.
As for me, I'd go "balanced" for anything longer than 2m (7'). But that's just a rule of thumb of mines, not scientifically supported, to my knowledge.

Balanced interconnect rarely do any harm anyway.
(To be noted: I've seen a HiFi amp were they were connected in a strange way, and, well, in that case, that could potentially be worse than SE. But, in general, that's not the case.).

Microphone cables with good XLR connectors (Neutrik, Amphenol,...) are easily available (and also pretty easy to build yourself) and they remain quite cheap. You can't go wrong with good ones.
Those connectors are much more robust than RCA too. Don't go for cheap, low quality connectors though, since they may give you some problems.

Last edited:

kaka89

I am a Harbeth M30.1 owner and using RME ADI-2 to pair with a Class D Nuprime ST-10, good sounding and value.
I tried Accupahse A30 that cost triple than the Nuprime, but Harbeth does need a lot of power so I kept the ST-10.

RME can pair with any amp because of its adjustable output level, you can just focus on the amp and speaker paring.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought the RME adi2 and going to use as dac/pre in a small system in my study.
Eyeballing the harbeth p3 or c7 for speakers and looking for a power amp.

I’m not terribly knowledgeable on the technical side and just learning, so my question is about the balanced vs single ended connection between adi2 and amp.

I’ve been thinking I need an amp to run balanced but do I really? What’s that going to give me if I do choose an amp to run it balanced?
I would pair it with any Ncore assembled amps, all the way to keep most of the transparency of the ADI-2.

You didn't tell about how much you may afford...Where do you live etc?

OP
C

Cmcmurphy22

Well I’ve been looking at the nc252mp kits actually. Looks like a build could be put together for under 500 if using the Ghent kit.

I’d like to spend less than $1000
I live in Texas.

OP
C

Cmcmurphy22

I was also considering a little amp from audiophonics
It the ncore nc122mp and with the harbeth would put out about 100 wpc. Although it has mini xlr inputs. Would xlr to mini xlr still be balanced?
I’m thinking that amp with a p3 in my small room and listening position being 2m away this might be a nice setup.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the p252 from @March Audio to power Harbeth SHL5+ . Sounds great, under $1000, small and runs cool. Audibly indistinguishable from my 1993 Adcom 5802, Nelson Pass-designed 300w/channel beast/sppace heater. In fact, has the same gain.

It is a properly balanced design, and its designer, Alan March would encourage using it that way. I do.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although it has mini xlr inputs. Would xlr to mini xlr still be balanced?
Yes. But you need to be careful about adapters.
was also considering a little amp from audiophonics
It the ncore nc122mp and with the harbeth would put out about 100 wpc.
I liked this one too. But, If you really want to use XLR, you should better look for the bigger PA-S250NC.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He could also go for the Apollon you've ordered right? (under 1000$)
Also. But ICEpower still measures a bit worst, though more powerful. Then, there is some delay for making the amp on custom order. I paid mine one month back and I'm still waiting for my unit (already shipped, tho).

At last price is 1143€ shipped to EU. No VAT for US but higher shipping cost: 1010€ ($1110) overall.

@Audiophonics or @March Audio Ncore offerings are most likely the way to go.

OP
C

Cmcmurphy22

I could also source the nc252mp module and do a DIY kit from Ghent for under 500.

Bixet

Any idea of the differences between NC250MP and NC252MP ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are xlr>mini xlr cables avail? Is that a thing?
Not that easy to find, because you need XLR female to mini xlr...also female. Some member on another Ncore thread linked a custom cable manufacturer (can't remember where exactly).

However, I just noticed your Harbeths are really not that sensitive (6ohms, but 84 or 86db). I would go for a bit more power than the NC122MP may offer.

Bixet

Very simple: NC252MP is a stereo module, NC250MP are mono modules. I tend to see that the NC250MP is measuring a hair better overall, but probably nothing in the audible realm.
Thanks ! very simple indeed

Top Bottom