• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with USB powered DAC

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
I have the Drop+Grace Design SDAC which is powered via USB. My issue is I'd like to have two USB inputs to the SDAC but have the device powered independently of either of these two inputs. Is this possible? If I use a powered USB hub and went directly into the SDAC with the main leg of the hub, would it still power the SDAC, or would the 'powered' part of the hub just power the devices attached (In this case the two pc's, which don't need power input, but would have power output themselves).
Thanks!

David

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You may need a switch, not a hub.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
You may need a switch, not a hub.

Right after I typed this post, I got thinking about it and in fact I need both. I already had the two PC's connected to a powered KVM switch for shared monitor, keyboard and mouse. It dawned on me I just need a usb hub to one of the usb ports on the KVM switch for Keyboard/Mouse, and the other port to the SDAC.

So far problem seems solved. However, not sure what kind of output the KVM switch has to the SDAC. I believe I read the SDAC pulls 130mA over USB.

Top Bottom