• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with mystery peak

dorirod

Hello, I am trying to dial in my new setup. Kali LP-6 driven through Topping EX5. I've been playing around with REW, and I'm getting a mysterious peak that's driving me nuts. I can hear the boomieness coming through but I can't identify what's causing it. I just managed to get a normal FR at the beginning and then mysteriously a 17 dB peak at around 55Hz shows up and as far as I can tell I didn't change anything. I am messing around with a sub, but turning off and on made no difference on the peak.

Topping EX5 set to vol 60, using balanced output to the LP-6. I am using REW to measure, using UMIK-1, about 9ft (3m) from speakers, output going through HDMI to my TV, using optical out to EX5. MMM RTA using Generator with Pink Noise -15.0 dBFS, full range setting. My AC was turned off (that exacerbates the issue). Any idea what I can do to narrow this down?

Thank you for any help!

Mystery 55-57 Hz peak.png

Last edited:

Fonsecafsa

Almost the same case from mine.
Is it a small room too? Try it with the tone generator and see if it gets louder with the same volume at this frequency.
Still, all that I could do is using the equalizerAPO to make it more normal, without this, any scene with a bass would make this room mode play really loud and I think that it is what causes my ear pain afterwards .

YSC

Major Contributor
this looks just like a wall reflection gain... you have to use EQ to lower that peak as that's the room mode

OP
D

dorirod

Thank you for the replies. Yeah room mode seems most likely case, but what confuses me is that it's not 100% there. If you notice in my graph in red, the first MMM measurement I did had no hump, and actually looked pretty good even without any EQ.

What would cause it to come and go? I didn't even move off my couch. No furniture, doors/windows changed position, etc. That's what baffles me.

OP
D

dorirod

Maybe not adequate measurements (red graph)?
We have a wiener. I was being stupid. I don't use the laptop and EqAPO except for measuring (not in normal use so not that familiar with it). I thought that having EQAPO shutdown meant that the EQ was off, well that wasn't the case (which makes sense I guess). So the red measurement was probably with the EQ on (no wonder it looked so good!).

I took some more measurements with the Tone Burst, which makes it more obvious.
Room_Boom.png

Did you try adjusting phase on the sub while monitoring the FR? Might be able to tame that peak by just adjusting phase.
No phase adjustment on this sub unfortunately.

Thank you for your help! Looks like I learned something.

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Ah this is a great cautionary tale. I too started out with REW recently, and realised after wasting some time that my HP laptop had its B&O equalizer turned on. Oops….

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The placement of the mic can be very sensitive especially for small rooms.
You can play the "problem" tone and move around even walk around to get the feel of standing waves in the room. Hope this doesn't discourage you.
EDIT: Ah I see it's eq turned on.

Top Bottom