• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with first ever setup

Jazz Tourist

Hello folks,

Sorry if this is not the right area to post, tried to be sure by finding similar topics and I think it is.

I'm planning my first ever setup for my Living Room (21x15 ft and has a bit less than 10ft height), the room is not treated, and I'm not planning to listen super loud. I have 3.5 yrs old kid and a neighbor downstairs that I don't want to drive crazy :). I'm a jazz player and aficionado, but we also listen to a fair amount of classic rock and classical music, I'm based in San Francisco if that's useful? (old Victorian apartment)

My plan is to be able to setup a MacMini to play FLAC files and sometimes Tidal (or an equivalent), that way the wife is happy. We don't have a TV or plan having one.

After reading these forums a lot and trying to learn, I think reasonable options to get started are:

Option 1, the simple route
I buy an integrated amp, a Yamaha A-S801 (or equivalent for ~1k) and spend the rest on Speakers.

Option 2, the everything separate route
I buy something like a purify build from Audiophonics as an amplifier and get a Topping E50 DAC (or equivalent), which puts me at a more expensive price-point but if worth it, I'm down doing.

Speakers
I never listen super loud, but I have a big enough living room. I've read several people in the forum liking their KEF R3's bookshelf speakers and was wondering if that could work.

Thanks for any help I can get since I'm a little bit lost at the moment.

Steve_404

you're on the right track with your research and planning. Both Option 1 and Option 2 are good starting points and you'll have to decide which is best for your needs and budget.

For the speakers, the KEF R3 bookshelf speakers are a popular choice and are well-regarded for their sound quality and versatility. They would be a good choice for a living room of your size, especially since you mentioned you don't listen to music super loud. If you do decide to go with bookshelf speakers, you might consider adding a subwoofer to enhance the bass response.

In terms of the amplifier, the Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier is a great option for the simple route. It offers a good balance of sound quality and features, and it will drive most speakers with ease.

For the everything separate route, the purify build from Audiophonics and the Topping E50 DAC are both good choices. Having a separate amplifier and DAC will give you more flexibility and potential for upgrade, but it does come at a higher cost.

In terms of the MacMini, it's a great choice for playing FLAC files and streaming services like Tidal. You might also consider adding a high-quality USB cable to ensure you get the best possible sound quality from your DAC.

I hope this helps you in your setup! Let me know if you have any further questions.

TSB

I came here to preach the Gospel of active streaming speakers.

The Kef LS50 wireless II will give you better sound at a lower price (since you don't need an amplifier), with Tidal (and a host of other stuff) built-in.

Amen.

OP
J

Jazz Tourist

Whatever you do, make sure it has DSP.
Hey! Thanks for this suggestion. I read a pretty good review that mentioned that the miniDSP flex could be a good option if I'm looking for a DAC+DSP solution. If there's other options at a lower price-point it would be good to know of course

I imagine it's pretty standard these days to apply DSP to correct issues with speaker placement / room characteristics..

I came here to preach the Gospel of active streaming speakers.

The Kef LS50 wireless II will give you better sound at a lower price (since you don't need an amplifier), with Tidal (and a host of other stuff) built-in.

Amen.

Haven't even looked at active to be honest, will take a look.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe a miniDSP flex (w/Dirac) and a pair of Vanatoo Transparent One Encores? Those speakers are highly regarded and active (powered).

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a miniDSP flex (w/Dirac) and a pair of Vanatoo Transparent One Encores? Those speakers are highly regarded and active (powered).
Like the price on this, and would add a SVS SB 1000 Pro Sub

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks,

Sorry if this is not the right area to post, tried to be sure by finding similar topics and I think it is.

I'm planning my first ever setup for my Living Room (21x15 ft and has a bit less than 10ft height), the room is not treated, and I'm not planning to listen super loud. I have 3.5 yrs old kid and a neighbor downstairs that I don't want to drive crazy :). I'm a jazz player and aficionado, but we also listen to a fair amount of classic rock and classical music, I'm based in San Francisco if that's useful? (old Victorian apartment)

My plan is to be able to setup a MacMini to play FLAC files and sometimes Tidal (or an equivalent), that way the wife is happy. We don't have a TV or plan having one.

After reading these forums a lot and trying to learn, I think reasonable options to get started are:

Option 1, the simple route
I buy an integrated amp, a Yamaha A-S801 (or equivalent for ~1k) and spend the rest on Speakers.

Option 2, the everything separate route
I buy something like a purify build from Audiophonics as an amplifier and get a Topping E50 DAC (or equivalent), which puts me at a more expensive price-point but if worth it, I'm down doing.

Speakers
I never listen super loud, but I have a big enough living room. I've read several people in the forum liking their KEF R3's bookshelf speakers and was wondering if that could work.

Thanks for any help I can get since I'm a little bit lost at the moment.
You missed an important option.

Active speakers with a DAC and a streamer is even simpler.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hey! Thanks for this suggestion. I read a pretty good review that mentioned that the miniDSP flex could be a good option if I'm looking for a DAC+DSP solution. If there's other options at a lower price-point it would be good to know of course

I imagine it's pretty standard these days to apply DSP to correct issues with speaker placement / room characteristics..

Haven't even looked at active to be honest, will take a look.
Option one and a half.
Yamaha A-S801 or R-N803 (803D) if you can find one and like it more with Elac DBR62 and MiniDSP Flex (REC looped to amplifier) with UMIK 1 and possibly a subwoofer. There is MiniDSP 2x4HD but it's ADC/DAC performance is just OK.
You don't fight speakers placement or room response (you play as nice with them as you can) with DSP (that you use for transitions and EQ small bumps that would be annoying and hard to do by hand). Good placement is essential and as much as it may sound nuts sub is actually for the reason of better experience when listening at lower volume (with equal loudness normalization).
You can pass with non Pro SVS 1000 or better yet two 10" (cheaper) one's if you have space for them.

OP
J

Jazz Tourist

Thanks for all the replies folks, lot's to evaluate and learn.

Since I know myself, and love flexibility and tuning, I'm a little wary of moving on the active speakers direction. I see myself wanting to upgrade at some point and then I'll have to pull the trigger on an amplifier anyways. Just putting it out there because I know myself :oops:

Option A (active speakers) ~2.5-3k seems to be the budget
MacMini > MiniDSP Flex w/Dirac > Active Speakers
I think that if I'll need DSP that probably leaves the Yamaha out, I know I can still bypass Yamaha's DAC and kinda up

Option B (passive speakers) ~2.5-3.5k (really depends on the speakers here)
MacMini > MiniDSP Flex w/Dirac > Yamaha A-S801 > Passive Speakers (R3s or @ZolaIII seems to like the Elac DBR62)

Option C (all Separate Option) ~3.5-4k
MacMini > MiniDSP Flex w/Dirac -> [Some Amp like a Purify Build from Audiophonics] > Passive Speakers (R3s seem to be a good option)

More Questions

1) If I would go for a woofer eventually (which apparently would help even in low volume settings) I think a lot of those are active right? does it go directly into the MiniDSP Flex along with the speakers in these setups?

2) Regarding Passive Speakers, I've only seen the R3's validated in the thread and also the Elac DBR62 that @ZolaIII mentioned. Anything else I should be looking at?

Option one and a half.
MiniDSP Flex (REC looped to amplifier) with UMIK 1

3) You kinda' lost me a little bit there. what does REC looped to amplifier mean in this context?

Thanks again everyone, already learned a lot just by reading at your replies :)

AlfaNovember

Howdy neighbor! Hopefully you're in one of the SF Victorians and Edwardians with very dense plaster walls. Good on you for being considerate of the neighbors.

Another slightly more DIY option would be to forego Dirac, and to run Roon on the MacMini as the playback engine and UI. Roon includes a DSP convolution engine in addition to the UI and controller App. You'd need to build yourself a room correction filter using a laptop running REW and a measurement mic. By using Roon as the DSP engine, you are free to pick whichever DAC you like, rather than being tied to MiniDSP.

(MacMini + Roon) -> USB DAC -> Amp -> Speakers + control from phone / tablet

I do this in a multizone form, with (RPi+DAC) blocks scattered about the house feeding compact JBL CSA-2120 amps and speakers.

Edit to add: All of this could be run happily without adding any sort of room correction DSP filters. I did so for years, and only recently built the correction filters. Doing so was a substantial improvement, at the cost of an afternoon's tinkering with microphones, which is why most folks here recommend it in some form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom