• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help with first dac please?

ErkyPerky

Hi peoples, I'm very new to forums and I hope you can help me recommend a dac or a dac/headphone amp. The thing is I'm torn between if I should buy a dac preamp on its own or a combo as I will be using it to play ps4 (only occasionally) with my sennheiser hd400s (I know they are not high or even mid end headphones but they do the job while everyone's sleeping). So basically I need a dac/preamp dominantly mainly for my active bookshelf which uses a cirrus logic dac/chip which is very claustrophobic sounding. I use apple streaming plus uapp and neutron player for my flac. I have reading reviews for a month now on here and elsewhere and there is a couple that I'm interested like, the Loxjie d30/d40 (only downside, I'm not interested in mqa whatsoever or the chip it's uses, so I kind of don't want to support it) also sabaj a10 2022. But who knows maybe I don't need a combo. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

Edit: The reason I'm kind of interested in the dac/headphone amp combo is convenience, so I don't need to plug my headphones in the tv jack, and maybe the amp will give me a bit better audio (or not) even though the headphones are not that amazing.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of bookshelf speaker is it? Chances are that its analog input is digitized and then a DAC in front of it will not improve the sound.

OP
ErkyPerky

ErkyPerky

What kind of bookshelf speaker is it? Chances are that its analog input is digitized and then a DAC in front of it will not improve the sound.
Wavemaster Two Pro. I've got it connected via rca to a arylic s50 pro+ streamer which acts as a preamp but also it improves sound overall.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wavemaster Two Pro. I've got it connected via rca to a arylic s50 pro+ streamer which acts as a preamp but also it improves sound overall.
Can you connect them via SPDIF? Then you'll need neither DAC nor preamp.

Top Bottom