• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help w/ digital source signal routing

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I’m looking for some suggestions for solving a signal routing/conversion problem I’m having.

Sources:
MS Surface, iPad (w/ CCK) and RaspPi running Volumio, all w/ USB out from NAS & Streaming from Amazon Ultimate Music (HD and UHD formats - CD quality and HiRez, respectively)

Playback gear:
Powered 3-way speakers using Hypex Fusion Amps, and 2 to 4 four powered subwoofers fed by miniDSP 2x4HD.

So the signal chain has a conversion and signal splitting problem.

1. - Hypex has Toslink/RCA/AES inputs for S/PDIF, and provides a digital through signal output on both RCA and AES

2. - miniDSP has Toslink or USB input, has no digital through output

USB Out —>

1. —> Hypex In: Optical/RCA/AES; Out (through): RCA/AES

2. —>miniDSP In: Optical/USB (No through output available)

miniDSP doesn’t accept either AES or RCA S/PDIF input coming from the through signal coming from the Fusion Amp!

Q: What's the best solution here? The Fusion Amp has to be the first input from source HW, since the miniDSP has no digital out. I don’t think I can split the USB, can I? If so, how?

I bought a converter ( Reiyin DA-DD USB 192kHz 24bit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZSQV8JX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_sharewith ) but it will only output 1 signal type (either analog, RCA, or Optical, but not both digital outputs simultaneously)

I’m reluctant to have to buy another digital converter to convert RCA or AES to Toslink in miniDSP. (I don’t converting back to USB is the way to go.)

I hope I posted this in the right forum topic! :D

Jukka

Interesting question, but I'm afraid there are really no devices or they are in unacceptable prices, that could be used as digital preamps with modern digital inputs and output a digital signal. I think your best bet is to use USB --> SPDIF converters and use a "SPDIF switch", such as this one. I'm interested to hear whatever solution you might find.

OP
Ivanovich

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
Thanks Jukka,

I’m still figuring out how I want it to be permanently. As of now I found some solutions that work, somewhat.
The Reiyin dudad actually worked. It has a USB in and outputs both optical and electrical S/PDIF simultaneously.

Not trusting the Reiyin’s quality, I purchased the Topping D-10, which does the same, plus it displays the sample rate!

I also use and am very much liking the Polk Omni P1. It’s a PlayFi device that also outputs both optical and electrical S/PDIF simultaneously.

PlayFi also allows to stream wirelessly to the speakers. Some PlayFi devices are finicky and have annoying dropouts, but this one has been rock solid. I also have the Omni S-1 for a stealthy SONOS-like device and a Klipsh Gate for the subwoofer. The idea was to set them up as a group for a sat/sub, but the Klipsh Gate is a POS and drops a lot. Oddly, it seems way more stable when I connect to it as an Alexa device through the Amazon Music app instead of the PlayFi app!

I believe Polk has discontinued the Omni line, which I hope is not a bad sign for the PlayFi tech, as I think it has great potential as an alternative to SONOS, Apple, Google using proper hi-fi kit.

So, in the end the Polk works great for wireless, can provide output to both plate amp and miniDSP for subs, and accepts hi-rez music from the Amazon app. The only negatives are that it downconverts everything to 48kHz and may become obsolete and unsupported (no more sw improvements).

The Topping D-10 works great, has competent audio performance, and outputs hi-rez from an iPad using the camera connect kit. Only issue is it has wires.

I am thinking the next step is to decide between the two option above, accepting a compromise for sample rate or wires, OR gwtting something like the product you suggested, so I don’t have to move cables and have both.

Although the speakers are still prototypes, the rig is now functional and sounding amazing! I really do need to get some room treatments installed soon.
6F36695C-6068-46F1-AFAE-56E0196D2BC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Jukka

That's nice, you are doing almost the same thing as I! I was planning to use an 8 ch dsp to feed amps for fully active diy, but I need a digital preamp in front of the dsp.

My skills in electronics are limited, but I have a few leads where I could get a simple device. Of course keeping noise on this forum might lead to good opportunities.

I wonder if any of the manufacturers here are interested in putting to together a piece, that does most of the following:
  • Accepts spdif coax input
  • Accepts spdif optical input
  • Has one or more usb inputs (these are the FUTURE!)
  • Bluetooth, network inputs optional (could use other devices for them as long as there is enough basic inputs).
  • Obviously has source selector
  • Has digital volume control
  • Speaks pcm
  • Has a display that displays at least the volume and source
  • Outputs digital signal as aes3/spdif/usb
  • Remote control. In form of IR, Bluetooth app or even just an API over network or usb. I'm a software developer, I would make my own remote app if I had API.
My application would require eas/ebu from the preamp. This doesn't sound to difficult to do, because most dacs do exactly these, but instead of analog output, it would have a digital one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom