• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help upgrading/choosing 2.1 system for everyday use (Hypex NCore/IcePower?)

lmaobrah

Hi everyone,
I'm currently use 2.1 system for my everyday use in my living room (Games, YouTube, Movies, etc).
Current System
Using PC -> Borizonic Dac/Amp and TV (RCA) to the same Dac. (Link for Dac/Amp <<Link>>)
Dac/Amp to a pair of 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers and using Dac's Headphone out to an active Subwoofer.

Next step
I would like to upgrade the amp/dac, (preferably class D) for better sound quality. (keeping the budget under $700-$1000)
Reading about the Hypex Ncore/IcePower, seems like a good choice. But most of them is 2 channel power amp.
Not sure how to integrate the Sub without sacrificing much sound quality.

So my possible choices are:
1. FxAudio X6 Dac (Or other dac) ---> Hypex Ncore 252 Amp (Using RCA splitter for Subwoofer) ($700) Still not sure how to connect the TV.
2. Aiyima Preamp Dac <<Link>> ---> Hypex Ncore 252 Amp (Using RCA splitter for Subwoofer) ($750) Aiyima is with aux/rca in so I can also connect TV, but I don't prefer tube though.
3. SMSL A8 (Icepower) Using Dac out for sub woofer ($600) Easiest one stop solution
4. Dac ---> NAD C368 ($900) NAD offers massive connection

Or any other better choice, please recommend. Thanks very much!

Unclevanya

What's the wattage required? Does the subwoofer have it's own crossover? Do you run the 2-way speakers full range or do you trim out the excess bass? How efficient are the speakers, and what is the placement in the room like?

OP
L

lmaobrah

What's the wattage required? Does the subwoofer have it's own crossover? Do you run the 2-way speakers full range or do you trim out the excess bass? How efficient are the speakers, and what is the placement in the room like?
- Wattage required
My current speakers are 87db, and my current 100W@4Ohm Class D amp seems to be enough.

- Sub Woofer
Yes, active subwoofer is with it's own crossover

- Speakers
It's bookshelf speaker, placing 1.6Meters from each other and around 1.8m from listening spot (Sofa).
The speakers run full-range.

Unclevanya

Have you considered the WXA-50 Yamaha, the power into 4 ohms is close to the per you have now. I compared it to the NAD D3020 V2, and I liked it better however not by a huge margin. The NAD sounded good also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom