• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help to choose budget subwoofer

Mozca

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8G2 and i am looking for a subwoofer around 200Euro
I had a KRK 10S2 but it is damaged and not reparable.
I know that i cannot get a good subwoofer with this price but...just need to improve LF on the system that I use for listening dancemusic in 30m2 room.
Any idea about these:
- Polk Audio PSW10E - 190Eu
- Presonus Eris Sub8 - 200E
- Samson MediaOne 10S - 210E
- ESI Aktiv 10S - 210E
- Fame Audio Pro Series RPM 10S - 185E

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had a budget Polk sub once and it wasn't good. Presonus is only 8" with 100W driver, may not have sufficient output below 30Hz, which you're probably looking for with dance music. Don't know about the others.

Not sure about Europe, but the Infinity 12" sub often goes for sale in the US below $200. I would imagine that performs better than the list above.
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/reference-series-home/REFERENCE+SUB+R12.html

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Is the Dayton Audio line of subwoofers (Parts Express) available to you? I have the little 8" (about US$100) which works great in my desktop setup, but you can get the 12" version for about US$175. There is a 15" version, too. I have heard the 15" in a home theater context and it put out a ton for bass for ~US$225.

Good luck!

OP
M

Mozca

Either I have REALLY Low standards, (probably) or Maybe I don't understand something here. So take this with a grain of salt.

Have you looked for Used Car Audio subwoofers? I know DUAL is sold in the UK. And so is Infinity. There is a $98 Buck Bass Tube that would would rock your socks off in a home. Power can be had from an Old receiver.

I get its not Posh, but... I don't see why you could not get a great subwoofer(s) for $200 bucks all powered.

I don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Or discount the turn key approach to home subwoofers. But if I had to do it? I would do Infinite baffle in a home setup. And then use some Cheap Rockville Pro woofers. (2 for $50 bucks it use to be)

If you are ABLE to find some deals and willing to go to Ikea to the As is section, those LARGE Kitchen Cabinets that have Solid MDF on the sides would make a great Table subwoofer that would look nice, and have ZERO issues playing down to 25Hz or lower (Long SonoTube) Even the Cheapo AutoTek Woofers ($25 bucks) in a sealed box not only sound great, but they are actually quite good at even classical music in a sealed box. And I PUNISH these woofers. (see my driving Playlist recommendations)

Also, with a Sonotube subwoofer, you don't get Bass loading. so you don't get that Boomy sound. It's more natural and does not load the room like a sealed subwoofer would do. For that Budget Champion? The DUAL or the Hifonix Subwoofers work AMAZING in the home. 4 of them will give you such low extension in your music, and yes. Tested them if they integrate with my Magnepans. They work great to my ears. But take that with a grain of salt. Look at the music I like to listen too.

BTW Infinity is clearing out their Primus line of Car audio 12" Subwoofers for less then $40 bucks each.

If you want a BIG powered subwoofer for MUSIC? And Active? Well, amazon, if it works the same here in the USA? They let you order and try out stuff and return them if they don't work. So... How about 109 Pounds for a Powered 15" subwoofer? If you just want turn key. Might have to use an adaptor for the input, but for the cost? Chances are its going to get the Job done. Might not do Hair tricks, but it will get the girls rocking if you have a Party. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-...97134&pd_rd_wg=dqvHq&pd_rd_i=B00YHJEQP0&psc=1

If I'm on the wrong track, then sorry. Carry on.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I think I'd go with the Presonus. Just know that an 8" sub isn't going to go that low, but should complement your KRKs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom