• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help: Timbre matching / Tonal imbalance

iggymasu

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Can I get some advice on pairing FL & FR with a Centre that are of the same brand but not same model range?

I am currently on the Silver 200 AV12 (6th Gen) hooked up to a Yamaha RX-1060. Recently, I set this up as a hybrid Stereo by connecting the pre-outs to a CambridgeAudio 851W which Balances Out to a network streamer CambridgeAudio 851N. I am very happy with the big improvement in SQ now.

But after recently having auditioned the Gold 200s (5th Gen), I want to upgrade to these 3-way from my current 2.5-way. I know the power amp can drive them without any trouble and my music experience will only get better.

My only worry is when I am watching movies with the Center speaker Silver C150. I checked the impedance & it’s 90db & 88db for the Golds & the Silvers on 2x5.25” bass drivers while the Gold has 2x6”. Yet basing on these specs I have no clue on matching dynamic range or timbre. So how can I be sure there won’t be a big tonal imbalance if I pair it with the Gold 200s?

PS: One thing to note, my R Silver200 is close to a right corner wall, with a clearance of 33-38cm from the rear & 13-15cm to the side, toed in. Also this setup in my regluar & accoustically imperfect living room, I don't have a dedicated sound proof home cinema / music room with treated walls.

Top Bottom