• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help selecting multi room amplifier with bluetooth

uhsa

I moved into a new place that has speakers at 8 places. There is a central place which has all banana female plug outlet where I am able to plug in audio in.

I would love to have an Audio Amplifier with 12 channel or more/less (?) with the ability to throw music on it via bluetooth (ideally - or wireless akin to Sonos)

The idea is - if I want to listen to music in my office room, I don't have to walk up to the central plug outlet to plug in my music. If I can throw in via bluetooth, maybe i can throw in songs from my media server. If nothing, as long as I can stream music from my device to the amp - that would be great.

I also want them to be on different zones so that while I am listening to music in office, different music may be turned on in the shower.

I am looking at different ones like Dayton Audio MA1240a , AudioSource, Cambridge, Pyle, etc but not knowing how I should set this up at my home - it makes it harder to research about the better brand for it.

Hoping someone can help here.

OP
U

uhsa

You can easily add a Bluetooth receiver to any amplifier, which perhaps opens more options for amplifiers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank you - that would be my go to solution if there isn't one out there with built in bluetooth. Is there a "recommended" one for these many zones/rooms?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is bluetooth going to be a good solution? If the amp is in one room and you are playing from a phone in a room away from the amp(s) then you might have connection problems. It seems that a wifi solution would be better, something like this:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/multi-room_amplifiers/xda-qs5400rk/index.html

But that is pretty expensive. For somewhat similar price you could also do multiple Sonos Amps or Yamaha WXA-50. Or you could do multiple Paradigm PW-Amp for about half the price of Sonos or Yamaha.

OP
U

uhsa

Is bluetooth going to be a good solution? If the amp is in one room and you are playing from a phone in a room away from the amp(s) then you might have connection problems. It seems that a wifi solution would be better, something like this:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/multi-room_amplifiers/xda-qs5400rk/index.html
I am fine either with Bluetooth or Wifi; and that's fine if we can do it the wifi way. I have Sonos Play:3 that I use. However, yamaha seems too expensive.

But that is pretty expensive. For somewhat similar price you could also do multiple Sonos Amps or Yamaha WXA-50. Or you could do multiple Paradigm PW-Amp for about half the price of Sonos or Yamaha.
I guess I am not sure how/what to do with the speaker connections I have - I was hoping to get a central device and stream via that (pic attached). I would rather not have 3 or 4 sonos or yamaha - that would be too expensive and also lose the point of having a central device to control music off...

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am fine either with Bluetooth or Wifi; and that's fine if we can do it the wifi way. I have Sonos Play:3 that I use. However, yamaha seems too expensive.

I guess I am not sure how/what to do with the speaker connections I have - I was hoping to get a central device and stream via that (pic attached). I would rather not have 3 or 4 sonos or yamaha - that would be too expensive and also lose the point of having a central device to control music off...
If you go with multiple streaming amplifiers you can put them all at the location with the speaker multiple jacks. How are the speakers distributed? If any rooms have 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers you can drive two speakers per amplifier channel. Then maybe 2 or 3 or 4 of the PW-Amps ($250/ea) would do it? If you go that way I'd get just one to begin with to see if you are happy with it.

With this kind of approach you do have a central device (a single phone app that controls everything) even though there are multiple amps.

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
You’ll need some type of system/app to have easy controls throughout the house. I have used chromecast audio and a bunch of old receivers to create zones. Sonos is a viable choice, but pricey, Roon also works for the software side. You can buy inexpensive amps, maybe look at Behringer, and some type of streamer+DAC (chromecast, raspberry pi based).

OP
U

uhsa

Firstly - thank you to everyone who have tried helping me out. I know time is valuable and especially during this time of the year. So again, thank you!

So it seems that whatever I go with - I will have to have multiple amps because I want multiple zones?
How are the speakers distributed? If any rooms have 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers you can drive two speakers per amplifier channel.

I have 2 speakers (L-R) in the ceiling in different rooms.

Then maybe 2 or 3 or 4 of the PW-Amps ($250/ea) would do it? If you go that way I'd get just one to begin with to see if you are happy with it.

With this kind of approach you do have a central device (a single phone app that controls everything) even though there are multiple amps.

If I want say 3 zones - "Main", "Office" and "Kitchen" - I would prefer not spending $$ on 3 different amps not to mention having so many devices. Is there a way we can get only ONE amplifier that allows all 6 or 8 speakers connected to it and also have maybe 3 odd zones in it? I can't believe that for different zones the only way out would be to buy as many amplifiers! I do have all the speaker terminal end points coming out at one central place...

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I want say 3 zones - "Main", "Office" and "Kitchen" - I would prefer not spending $$ on 3 different amps not to mention having so many devices. Is there a way we can get only ONE amplifier that allows all 6 or 8 speakers connected to it and also have maybe 3 odd zones in it? I can't believe that for different zones the only way out would be to buy as many amplifiers! I do have all the speaker terminal end points coming out at one central place...
The yamaha mentioned earlier is a multizone amplifier with wireless (but very expensive): https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/multi-room_amplifiers/xda-qs5400rk/index.html

Here is another less expensive option with wireless but the amps don't look very good (just 20WPC into 8-ohms): https://www.jukeaudio.com/

You could just buy a multi zone amplifier without wireless. e.g.: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543D1650/Russound-D1650.html

Then add airplay-2 with an airport express on each zone that you want to control wirelessly: https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-use-airport-express-as-airplay-2-adapter-with-any-speaker-system/

OP
U

uhsa

I guess the general consensus here is then to get a multi zone/channel amplifier (in my budget which is <$400 ish) and then get as many wireless for each zone. So if am planning 4 zones, i would need to get 4 x wireless receiver plus the amp.

I admit I was hoping I would get an amp that comes with multi zone capacity but if not - is there a couple recommended amplifier that you guys feel would suffice?

I can't afford the audiophile level ones but what about Dayton, Franklin, etc? Any preference?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the Franklin and Dayton multizone amplifiers are the same: Dayton MA1260 same as Franklin A6012 and Dayton MA1240 same as the Franklin A4012. The 60W ones are Class D and the 40W ones are Class AB. All of them look to have linear supplies. The photos give the impression that these might be decent amps:

1608223867779.png
1608223953276.png

Unfortunately it looks like the restocked A4012 is no longer available. $450 for the Dayton 60W model seems like a good deal though:
https://www.parts-express.com/resto...-zone-12-channel-amplifier-60wpc--88-300-8150

OP
U

uhsa

It looks like the Franklin and Dayton multizone amplifiers are the same: Dayton MA1260 same as Franklin A6012 and Dayton MA1240 same as the Franklin A4012. The 60W ones are Class D and the 40W ones are Class AB. All of them look to have linear supplies. The photos give the impression that these might be decent amps:

View attachment 99814View attachment 99816

Dayton MA1240a was what I looked earlier - I will look at the MA1260. Seems like Franklins are "dayton copy" from a quick internet search. I am sorry - what are Class D and Class AB? Are one better than other?

Unfortunately it looks like the restocked A4012 is no longer available. $450 for the Dayton 60W model seems like a good deal though:
https://www.parts-express.com/resto...-zone-12-channel-amplifier-60wpc--88-300-8150

I am now more and more inclined towards the Dayton - will take a look at it.

I did see however a Pyle - https://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-Wi...1608226334&sprefix=dayton+ma12,aps,259&sr=8-3

Seems to do everything - but I did read that Pyle is a Pyle of $hit - not sure if that's true?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dayton MA1240a was what I looked earlier - I will look at the MA1260. Seems like Franklins are "dayton copy" from a quick internet search. I am sorry - what are Class D and Class AB? Are one better than other?

I am now more and more inclined towards the Dayton - will take a look at it.

I did see however a Pyle - https://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Power-Amplifier/dp/B07RT73KP5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2VDWL0F7U7V34&dchild=1&keywords=dayton+ma1240a&qid=1608226334&sprefix=dayton+ma12,aps,259&sr=8-3

Seems to do everything - but I did read that Pyle is a Pyle of $hit - not sure if that's true?
If I understand correctly what you want, I don't think the Pyle thing will be a solution. It has just a single bluetooth connection and so you can't do multizone control from a single remote phone or computer in the same way that multizone systems like Sonos do.

I didn't realize that Dayton has their own wireless multizone system (Hi-Fly). It seems like it does what you want for cheap, but reading reviews on the software it seems like it might be clunky and/or buggy. Also this particular amp is only 20W but $87/zone is the cheapest solution I've seen:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...lifier-with-ir-remote-and-app-contr--300-3821

On Class AB and Class D, here is some info: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-classes

Webninja

Forum Donor
Two of the Niles amps were reviewed here and both were recommended. I believe you can find them used too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If LogitechMediaServer's multiroom streaming capabilities will do what you want you can easily and cheaply use daphile as a source. It will create a zone for each audio interface it finds, so plug in 4 apple dongles (~$10 each, plus a bit for USB A to C adapters or a suitable USB hub) and you have 4 zones. It will run on an old PC, or a cheap ex-corporate thin client like the Wyse R90L. Control LMS using one of the phone apps (Squeezer, iPeng - search the relevant app store for squeezebox and you should find them) or use the Material Skin LMS plugin and the phone's web browser.

OP
U

uhsa

If LogitechMediaServer's multiroom streaming capabilities will do what you want you can easily and cheaply use daphile as a source. It will create a zone for each audio interface it finds, so plug in 4 apple dongles (~$10 each, plus a bit for USB A to C adapters or a suitable USB hub) and you have 4 zones. It will run on an old PC, or a cheap ex-corporate thin client like the Wyse R90L. Control LMS using one of the phone apps (Squeezer, iPeng - search the relevant app store for squeezebox and you should find them) or use the Material Skin LMS plugin and the phone's web browser.
I have Plex Media Server running - would I need LMS as well? From what I read - Daphile is also software - so I am confused how that would work.

Since the audio connections are in my living room - ideally i don't want to place too many frontend devices running. I was thinking an amplifier and from what looks like it a wifi connector that I can control via an app. Now the only thing here is multi zoning - which currently from what I am reading seems to be "as many wifi controller as zones" ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Daphile is a linux-based OS that uses LMS and would automatically configure 4 zones if you plugged in 4 USB DACs - it sets up an instance of squeezelite for each audio device it detects. I thought it would be a cost effective way to provide multiple zones from a single cheap, fanless, low power box without having to do anything too complicated. You hadn't mentioned Plex before so I didn't know it was a factor, and I haven't used it so don't know what the interoperability options are. I would guess LMS could access the music via a network drive share, or LMS and Plex would be able to interoperate via DLNA, but you'd have to check that.

OP
U

uhsa

Need everyone's guidance here - say I go with Dayton M1240a (Class AB) - if I want multiple zones - what should I get on it? If we still had Chromecast Audio - I would get one for each zone. Since that's out of question - is there a good alternative? Airport Express are $$$ if I want to go nuts and have 6 odd zones. I will look for "used" chromcast pucks - maybe that will work. Does anyone know about Audiocast?

Last edited:
Top Bottom