• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help selecting budget analogue amp for bookshelf speakers

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Sorry for the double post, but I realized my post in other people's threads may have gotten lost.

My goals are as follows: the cleanest most musical amp for nearfield low to mid volume listening. The speakers will be on a desktop. As such, I am really looking for the best measurements (versus the most power). I am hoping something will respect the great source coming out of the DAC.

Based on a lot of research, here is what I am considering:
  • Option 1: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-100 ($229) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 2: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-300 ($399, but may be discontinued) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 3: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Crown-XLS-1002 ($339) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 4: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA35 ($349) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 5: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA25 ($225) --> Kef Q150
It appears the Onkyo A-9110 is either discontinued or out of stock for the foreseeable future, but that was otherwise my leading contender. I also considered the lower end Yamahas, but they definitely seem to be jack of all trades (and masters of none).

I am leaning towards option 5. For the price, I think I prefer the Cambridge to the Emotiva based on reviews, and I think I can get away with the 25 watts (I hear Cambridge under measures and the Q150s are pretty easy to drive). The Crown seems designed for power and volume above all else, which is really the opposite of what I want. Most of the other power amps would fall into that general category.

Ready to pull the trigger on this final component of the system, so would really appreciate any advice.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a Loxjie A30 in this application. It has some features you don't need like a non MQA DAC and a marginal headphone amp, but it performs very well as an amp. In fact, I have not used the DAC or headphone section in mine yet.

I think AXA 25 would be a good choice too. I agree you probably do not need more power than that unless you want to damage your hearing.

OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I would use a Loxjie A30 in this application. It has some features you don't need like a non MQA DAC and a marginal headphone amp, but it performs very well as an amp. In fact, I have not used the DAC or headphone section in mine yet.

I think AXA 25 would be a good choice too. I agree you probably do not need more power than that unless you want to damage your hearing.
Thanks for the really quick reply! Noob question - when an amp has a built in digital inputs, is it a given that the DAC doesn't also process signal from the analogue inputs? I ask because I know that the KEF Eggs I have reprocess A to D and D to A if you go in via analogue.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the really quick reply! Noob question - when an amp has a built in digital inputs, is it a given that the DAC doesn't also process signal from the analogue inputs? I ask because I know that the KEF Eggs I have reprocess A to D and D to A if you go in via analogue.
On A30 the analog input and the DAC both go directly to an analog tone control chip, which goes to the amp chip, so there is no extra analog to digital conversion.

OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor

So after reading the Loxjie thread, I am actually now strongly considering the SMSL DA-8s. People seem to love it and it seems to fit exactly what I need, plus it has the balanced XLR inputs to pair with my M500. Any thoughts?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So after reading the Loxjie thread, I am actually now strongly considering the SMSL DA-8s. People seem to love it and it seems to fit exactly what I need, plus it has the balanced XLR inputs to pair with my M500. Any thoughts?
That would probably make a great pairing. It looks very similar to the A30 with more.suitable features for your application. Not sure how much you read, but these are from the same company, and the amp specs are the same.

OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
That would probably make a great pairing. It looks very similar to the A30 with more.suitable features for your application. Not sure how much you read, but these are from the same company, and the amp specs are the same.
Awesome, I think that's the plan. I will be setting the system up in early January when I get back home, and will report back. Buying from Amazon I can always return it!

Top Bottom