• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help selecting an interface (or avr/dac) for JBL 705p in 2.1 setup

NotPalpatine

I've been looking at getting a 2.1 setup using the following:

2x JBL 705p
1x L12 SEALED SERVO SUBWOOFER

My current AVR has no pre-outs, so I'm looking for something sub $1000 with 2x xlr outputs (either digital or analog) and rca outputs for the sub. I was looking at the Emotiva MC-700 and then just doing some RCA to XLR converters so I can hook them up to the JBLs. I don't need any fancy features, just looking for a reasonably priced interface, avr, or dac... etc.

Edit: Also, please let me know if this sounds like a poor 2.1 setup for 50/50 HT and music.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lo price Motu M4 interface. $250.
No remote.

RME Adi 2 Dac which has some DSP features $1000.
I think this has a remote.

OP
NotPalpatine

NotPalpatine

The RME Adi 2 Dac looks like a decent option, but right at the top of what I was looking to spend. The Emotiva MC-700 looks like it would give me a little more flexibility.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You may wish to read my review of the UMC200, a 700 predecessor. There were some issues. Though if you mind the volume setting, and only use HDMI inputs it can be fine.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurement-of-emotiva-umc200-pre-pro.3504/

Obviously I can't say the Emotive MC700 has the same issues. One notable thing on the UMC200 were specs only listed inputs/outputs/physical size. There were no audio performance specs listed not even in the manual. You'll notice the same thing for the MC700. You'll notice Emotiva lists audio specs for most of the gear they make. This seems suspicious to me.

If you want the convenience of video switching, I'd say you are better off getting one of the Marantz pre/pros 2nd hand. One a few years old can be had for the cost of the MC700 or a bit less. It will be a product that likely cost $1500 or more new.

For comparison here is one I measured from 2013. You could step forward 3 or so years if you want one with 4k switching.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-avr-7701-dac-measurements.3485/

Oh, and BTW, if anyone is interested in a nice Emotiva UMC200, I can sell you one. Has the optional bluetooth module. $200 plus actual shipping cost.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also have the UMC-200. @Blumlein 88 's review did not surprise me (it had also been critiqued nearly to death on the Emotiva forums).
However, technical performance aside, it's feature set is pretty amazing once you get past it's user interface, and for the money would be hard to beat on just capabilities.
It has also been very reliable, and has had great support from Emotiva. If you want cheap and functional as all get out older hdmi gear, I'd certainly recommend it - that's a great price, too.

As for your setup, I found that adding a center channel for HT was pretty important (for dialogue)...but started my plunge into Mch music.
Otherwise I think your choices are great. (But hoping Amir tests both Kali IN-8s and the 705s you have.)

It would appear the MC700 has similar abilities, and would be on my short list if I were in the market for such.
I'm about to get my OktoDAC Pro, so pretty much dying with curiosity to hear the differences (but won't be able to A/B them)...going from pretty nearly the bottom of the DAC pool to the top...!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have the UMC-200. @Blumlein 88 's review did not surprise me (it had also been critiqued nearly to death on the Emotiva forums).
However, technical performance aside, it's feature set is pretty amazing once you get past it's user interface, and for the money would be hard to beat on just capabilities.
It has also been very reliable, and has had great support from Emotiva. If you want cheap and functional as all get out older hdmi gear, I'd certainly recommend it - that's a great price, too.

As for your setup, I found that adding a center channel for HT was pretty important (for dialogue)...but started my plunge into Mch music.
Otherwise I think your choices are great. (But hoping Amir tests both Kali IN-8s and the 705s you have.)

It would appear the MC700 has similar abilities, and would be on my short list if I were in the market for such.
I'm about to get my OktoDAC Pro, so pretty much dying with curiosity to hear the differences (but won't be able to A/B them)...going from pretty nearly the bottom of the DAC pool to the top...!
I didn't know my review was discussed on the Emotiva forums.

I like everything about the UMC200 except the poor audio performance most especially over SPDIF inputs. Its parametric EQ is simple and highly useful to help with room problems below 500 hz. With superb performing $100 DACs it is a shame they couldn't have gotten the DAC to be at least not sub-standard. In my case, it was a little lacking in output voltage and that meant on louder sounds pushing it into a high distortion range. So it wasn't very good in my setup. In one with less need for high output voltage it would work well. I would have hoped they would have fixed the issue in the 700, but the lack of audio specs tells me they haven't.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It wasn't - this was during the 'teaser' phase prior to and during release of the product, when it was getting a lot of scrutiny on their forums...so quite a few years ago now! (Some good stuff to read there, too.)
I also determined the same basic device was also marketed under another another product label (don't recall what now), but with perhaps slightly different UI? (Same price, though).
But I agree, for basic 1080P HT, it does a LOT of things, and for the most part, quite well.
(So many in fact, I had to keep reminding myself - oh! I can do that in the Emo!)
Who knows about the 700 - I haven't checked in on the Emotiva forums in ages - but aside from specs/performance concerns (is that really a huge big issue for HT?? My Emo HT system can knock my socks off!) I'd certainly give it a look.
And, thanks for posting your test results on the UMC-200 - it led me, ultimately, to the OktoDAC!
:eek:

Top Bottom