• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help prioritizing what to review next

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I need help folks. I am torn between different requests for reviewing what is in my queue. How do I better gauge interest level in what should be reviewed next? Or at least the top 3 or 4?

With summer almost upon us, we will be travelling a lot more (getting ready for one now) so my testing time will be more limited than before.

I have similar need for how to decide what else needs to be bought/loaned for review.

Assume that I will keep my TODO list current and accurate for this discussion even though I have been bad at it. :)

Options I can think of is someone being my proxy and gauging interest through polls, scanning posts, being at the receiving end of requests, etc.

Some kind of external service that allows people to vote on dynamic list of options such as what is in my TODO list, etc.

Mind you, no matter what the system, I may decide to do different. :) But when I am not being selective, I like to know the clear choices to go after.

Appreciate any and all ideas.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'd say to make a poll with a list of the top half-dozen or so.

For me, #1 - Winning lottery number generator (you can send it directly to me to test).

p.s. I can give anyone winning lottery numbers, just can't say when they will win.

nuko

I think the poll sounds like a good idea. My vote would go to a Magni 3 vs. Objective2 comparison and review. :p I'm curious as to what other amps around that price range would be considered as well. There's also the new Cavalli/Monolith Liquid Spark for $100 so that might also be a contender.

palamudin

Poll with Sabaj Da3 outside the poll as priority (joking ofc.).

Maybe consider doing cables as a part of the burnout break along with phono preamps. We have to have members willing to provide some quality and snake oil cabling for tests.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Doodle is a free service for making polls. Never made one, but participated in several.
Not sure if a poll can be made as a "guest" (i.e. without creating an account).

Timbo2

As somebody patiently waiting for your Sabaj DA3 review, I’ll still try to be objective. :)

My thinking is given the speed of innovation on low end stuff like the DA3, my guess is you are only likely to have this product on the market for another 12 to maybe 18 months. OTH, I’m also waiting for iFi Earbudy review and my guess is that product is likely to be on the market for the forseeeable future.

So I’d segment your backlog to gear that is no longer available and put that to one side. In another bucket I’d segment it into products that you expect to have a long life and finally those with an expected short life span.

For the most value I’d prioritize getting through your queue of short shelf life products interspersed with the longer lived products. You could follow up with stuff that is no longer available as the queue gets smaller.

TBone

Major Contributor
With summer almost upon us, we will be travelling a lot more (getting ready for one now) so my testing time will be more limited than before.

I've often said, audio is an indoor winter (in these hills) hobby; my advice: don't fret the small details inside a room full of measuring tools.

Rather ... take a deserved break, enjoy the summer months with family and friends ... as Fall/Winter looms just around the corner.

DataX

Personally I would like to see the D10 op-amp rolling and Aune X7s reviews, but mostly because I own these. :)

How about a shootout of a couple Class-A amps and comparison against competitive Class-AB and/or Class-D amps?

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It would be nice to take up the Khadas free sample offer to see what they can do for $US99(Amazon). :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be nice to take up the Khadas free sample offer to see what they can do for $US99(Amazon). :)
I did. I sent them my shipping information. Didn't get a confirmation though....

Wombat

Master Contributor
I did. I sent them my shipping information. Didn't get a confirmation though....

Good. They seemed very keen. I hope they come through.

vito45

I hear you. :) What do you want it compared against?
Personally SMSL Idea but I think for other people it would be much better to put it against Fiio Q1 Mk2. It would be maybe interesting also compare it against Sabaj DA3 as they use same Sabre chip.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

palamudin

Truth be told comparison between sabaj and n4x is kinda comparing apples and oranges, one is ES9018Q2C dac for mobile purposes the other one is ES9038Q2M which derives from PRO series. Results were expected altho i would like to hear them side by side on same volume. Now, SMSL IQ is the dac that should be compared to sabaj in order to see does battery psu provides improvement over direct USB power. If so that means sabaj could be beefed up with some cheap iDefender/psu combo (questionably worth the effort due to small difference in price compared to n4x).

All in all im very happy to see good devices for peanuts.

Top Bottom