• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help prioritizing what to review next

yummy

@amirm should add the channel separation test, which is one of the most common tests

Tircuit

Forum Donor
New here, hi! Love your info and measurements.

I've been looking for a sub-$400 desktop USB DAC/Amp with high power, so that'd be my selfish preference. So far the higher powered ones you've reviewed have had high impedance or not measured great so I don't know what to buy. (If I've missed one, let me know.)

I have fiio Q1mkIII that I'm happy with for portable use, but it doesn't really have enough juice for my Fostex T50RPs. (Awesome in balanced with the HE-400i however.)

So something like the JDS Labs Element I guess.

Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So something like the JDS Labs Element I guess.
Welcome to the forum. I have gotten a ton of requests for the Element so I need to test it. I thought someone was going to offer one for testing but I don't think he came through.

Let's do this. Please remind me in 2-3 weeks when I have worked through my extensive backlog and I will purchase and test it if no one loans me one.

Last edited:

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Welcome to the forum. I have gotten a ton of requests for the Element so I need to test it. I thought someone was going to offer one for testing but I don't think he came through.

Let's do this. Please remind me in 2-3 weeks when I have worked through my extensive backlog and I will purchase and test it if no one loans me one.

Will do. And if it tests well, I'll buy it off you! ; )

Last edited by a moderator:

roach

Thought I'd chime in here - you might consider trying something like Trello. A game I used to play, Killing Floor 2, has their own Trello that they use to provide the community a look into what's what being worked on and to allow community members to vote on issues they're interested in. I've never set up Trello so I'm not sure how much work it would be but if you aren't already using some kind of software for managing and tracking your work, I'd recommend looking into something like this.

Grave

Pfffft Tripwire never listens to the community.

andrew

I'd vote for an AVR / Pre-Pro or, if possible, speakers. The rationale is that the existing tests have identified great options for Blu-ray player (Oppo 205) and DAC (Topping, RME).

Fiio Q5 would be interesting. Especially given the assertion by some websites that they can't hear the difference between the listening via the USB input and Bluetooth.

Also WA7d.

Sorry eta -- "Can't Hear the Difference." Shame on me for replying on the phone.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fiio Q5 would be interesting. Especially given the assertion by some websites that they can hear to difference between the listening via the USB input and Bluetooth.

Bluetooth still has lossy compression so it's not exactly a stretch...

Top Bottom