• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help - passive speakers under $2000 usd and amp under $1k to match

elderbank

Hi, wondering which speakers to go ahead and buy (may not be able to trial).

Arendal 1723 bookshelf S THX
ATC SCM11
Buchardt S400 MK2
Kef R3
monitor audio silver 100 7G
I did consider KLH model 3/5 and Wharfedale lintons but they seem too big. I was hoping to put these on my bdi console with iso acoustic stands or something low profile.

I do have a SVS PB 1000 that I will pair.

also need integrated amp advise. Mostly will add a streamer like bluesound, wiim pro etc.

the room size is open floor plan 16x20 feet ish with kitchen and breakfast area adjacent to it

i could potentially have options of used buchardt, Kefs from what I see on the internet so that would be $300-400 lower than current retail

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATC makes some bad design decisions based on the speaker reviewed elsewhere here. The R3 is a three way coaxial vs the rest of these being two ways and not coaxial, so the ceiling and floor bounce, which are often worse than the side wall reflections for most speakers, won't be bad.

Is there a reason for avoiding active monitors? The active Buchardt speakers are measurably better than their passive ones, and you could use something like a MiniDSP to handle the woofer crossover from your SVS sub.

OP
E

elderbank

ATC makes some bad design decisions based on the speaker reviewed elsewhere here. The R3 is a three way coaxial vs the rest of these being two ways and not coaxial, so the ceiling and floor bounce, which are often worse than the side wall reflections for most speakers, won't be bad.

Is there a reason for avoiding active monitors? The active Buchardt speakers are measurably better than their passive ones, and you could use something like a MiniDSP to handle the woofer crossover from your SVS sub.
Actives are fine too.. i an coming from humble setup of vanatoo T1s

OP
E

elderbank

Have a look at Amphion Argon1 speakers and Quad Vena II amplifier.
I did look at them briefly but it did not come up much in the comparison list to some of the above. I have zero bias and experience with these speakers so am open to any.. just want a pair that I can’t go wrong with and can be sufficient for a few years

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
BMR if your room rewards wide dispersion. R3 if it does not. The R3 is currently on clearance sale at many retailers.

This may a be a controversial recommendation on the integrated amp, but I have two of these and am quite pleased:

Integrated DAC is not state of the art, but is usable. The main selling points is copious power for only $1100 and excellent flexibility.

[Peachtree has an eBay outlet that sells factory recertified used amps and blemished new amps.]

Last edited:
OP
E

elderbank

BMR if your room rewards wide dispersion. R3 if it does not. The R3 is currently on clearance sale at many retailers.

This may a be a controversial recommendation on the integrated amp, but I have two of these and am quite pleased:

Integrated DAC is not state of the art, but is usable. The main selling points is copious power for only $1100 and excellent flexibility.

[Peachtree has an eBay outlet that sells factory recertified used amps and blemished new amps.]
Thank you. Do you have the link to the outlet shop?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
OP
E

elderbank

Thank you. Do you have the link to the outlet shop?
btw i see that the R3s are for $1500 online.. early impressions of the R3 meta is positive.. wondering if its worth the $700 premium? again i'd rather pay a bit more and not have regrets

lowkeyoperations

Neumann KH150
:lol:
Not passive
Over the budget
No streaming built in
Not sure how $2000 passive speakers became $3500 active monitors :p

But you would get a pair of KH120ii’s for $2000 and still have $1000 left for a streaming pre amp, so that could be a nice little combo.

Back on passives, the Amphion Argon 1s mentioned above are pretty nice but the 3S with the passive radiator are better. They are good at low volumes too if that’s a consideration.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
btw i see that the R3s are for $1500 online.. early impressions of the R3 meta is positive.. wondering if its worth the $700 premium? again i'd rather pay a bit more and not have regrets
TO ME, the improvements are not worth the premium. The Meta has lower distortion, but that only matters at SPLs far higher than I listen. The Meta has slightly wider dispersion, but whether that is better depends upon the room and personal taste. The Meta has a slightly different frequency response, but it is not necessarily better, considering how good the older R3 is. (And directivity is so good, you can EQ them to whatever FR you desire.)

I am happy with the older R3 and have no impulse to upgrade.

MKR

Major Contributor
@elderbank See link below for my recommendation (ignore the $30k in the thread title ;)) …

StephenOfOjai

FWIW, I just bought a pair of ATC SCM11s and a Bel Canto REF500S (separately) for about $2800 incl. tax/shipping on ebay. The system sounds super sweet!
I'm driving it from an Antelope Audio Orion computer interface via Canare balanced interconnects and Kimber 8TC spkr cables.

Top Bottom