• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help, one dac with two headphone amps

I have one dac and two headphone amps. Which is a good way to use 2 headphone amps with one dac rca y splitter or switch box like schiit sys?

Thank you

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
There are some cheap unbalanced switch boxes that could add additional cross-talk. I have a bunch which I’ve replaced with pricier balanced switches. The level may be so low as to not really matter in the real world.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have one dac and two headphone amps. Which is a good way to use 2 headphone amps with one dac rca y splitter or switch box like schiit sys? Thank you
Using a RCA y splitter will mean each headphone amplifier only get half the voltage.

Ratatoskr

Sys has two inputs and one output. You need one input and two outputs. Would Nobsound Little Bear work?

raindance

Major Contributor
You can use a splitter with no issues, however depending what the input circuitry of the headphone amp looks like, you may need to have both headphone amps powered on to avoid issues from an unpowered input stage. So long as the DAC has a low output impedance, which most do.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
There are some cheap unbalanced switch boxes that could add additional cross-talk. I have a bunch which I’ve replaced with pricier balanced switches. The level may be so low as to not really matter in the real world.

Actually, you only have one source (DAC) running so this probably won’t be likely an issue? I remember when I had two or more DAC sources playing and split to a single amp, the sound of the physically bypassed device via cheap switch could still barely be heard as the non-bypassed DAC is muted.

Top Bottom