• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help On The Hypex DSP Main Board That Can Be Added To The MP Series Of Amplifiers

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If anyone is versed on the DSP mainboard that connects to the MP series of amplifiers I just need to learn the basics. I have read the datasheet but its not that easy so a few questions to make me understand how many I need and pretty much what connects to what.

1. So the DSP module is put between the DAC and amp is that correct?
2. So the XLR out of the DAC is put into the XLR input of the DSP main and another XLR is connected to the XLR (through) of the DSP board which then connects to the amplifier?
3. If so do I need two modules for one amp to make it for two channels?
4. For BTL configuration, I am presuming that one module is enough for the one amp which is technically one channel right?
5. I suppose I can house this outisde the aluminium case in another case if it doesnt fit in the main case?

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
1. The DSP module DSP MAIN itself connects to the MP power module and is also powered by its SMPS. It has internal A/D and D/A converter, but no digital inputs
https://www.hypex.nl/product/mp-dsp-main/165
2. This works like you describe only if you also use MP-DSP DIGIN module in each speaker, and connect it to the DSP MAIN, if you are setting up the speakers as a pair. You can also connect remote sensor to one of the speakers, and make it "Master" in the Hypex HFD software, and controll both speakers at once
https://www.hypex.nl/product/mp-dsp-digin/166
3. No, you need one DSP MAIN module for each speaker to get one balanced analog input and 3 channels of output, so you can connect three MP amps to one DSP MAIN
4. For BTL you will use only one output channel of the three
5. Yes you can, but i don´t really see why :)

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1. The DSP module DSP MAIN itself connects to the MP power module and is also powered by its SMPS. It has internal A/D and D/A converter, but no digital inputs
https://www.hypex.nl/product/mp-dsp-main/165
2. This works like you describe only if you also use MP-DSP DIGIN module in each speaker, and connect it to the DSP MAIN, if you are setting up the speakers as a pair. You can also connect remote sensor to one of the speakers, and make it "Master" in the Hypex HFD software, and controll both speakers at once
https://www.hypex.nl/product/mp-dsp-digin/166
3. No, you need one DSP MAIN module for each speaker to get one balanced analog input and 3 channels of output, so you can connect three MP amps to one DSP MAIN
4. For BTL you will use only one output channel of the three
5. Yes you can, but i don´t really see why :)

Really appreaciate your response, I had an inlkling not too many people will have experience with the DSP add on although technically its the same as the Hypex plate amp DSP, I think the add on is confusing me. Your reply was clear and precise but I still need to get my head around a few things. I again checked the datasheet, and the audio inputs and the auxillary supply connect into the DSP main rather than the NC module. And if I am not mistaken the J12 on the DSP main connects to the J6 on the NC module connecting the module with the NC? And ofcourse the J6 on the DSP main connects to the DSP digi-in.

1. So you get 3 channels from the one DSP main(Hypex plate amp is this way so I am guessing its the same) but if I have a biamped system 2 channels left and 2 channels right (two seperate amps) I would still need 2 DSP mains is that correct?

2. If the DSP main has its own A/D D/A converter then technically I do not need a DAC and can plug my computer directly into the optical. So can one DSP digi slave 2 DSP mains on the software? If not then how do I connect the PC to DSP to run the pair of speakers? Or am I slaving one DSP digi to the other...?

3. I am also hazarding a guess that I can connect my MIniDSP UDIO-8 coxial into the DSP digi in if need be?

4. Lets go back to basics, my AVR left channel connects into the analogue in of the DSP main, if on paper I get 3 channels from 1 DSP main then 1 DSP main should handle one hypex NC252 is that correct?

5. Lastly with the above connection, is the analogue through bypassing the internal A/D D/A conversion? And so then the analogue through connects into the Hypex NC252 amp is that correct? I think you established that in your reply in number 2 but I'm just tyring to understand how a DAC(AVR in this case) in the chain will work?

YSDR

1. Yes.
2. Yes, you don't need a DAC but you need the "Digi In" board for digital inputs.
3. Yes.
4. Yes and you have 1 unused channel from the DSP board because the NC252 have only 2 channels.
5. Fusionamp analogue XLR output (through) is not going through the ADC-DSP-DAC cycle, it puts out the same analogue signal that is connected to the analogue XLR in.

Top Bottom