• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

*Need Help* new system for around 10k €

Disruptor

Hello,
im looking for help planning to get a new system would need to buy everything and decided to budget for around 10-12k €.
I listen 70% to "Epic" music lets say like "Hans Zimmer - Mountains" etc, here and there rock, hiphop ah actually everything but like mentioned mostly epic and very very loud and yeah im looking for "musical or rather warm speakers" something you can listen hours to

Currently im looking at:

Dac probably will be the Topping D50 or not necessary if i go with the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400

Speakers:

-Elac´s-

FS 409 4,1k /pair

FS 249.3 4,6k /pair

Adante FS61 6k/pair
not sure about them heard a lot of good/bad stuff about them

-Canton-

Vento 896.2 DC 3,5k /pair
“cheap route” paired with “Emotiva XPA-2 GEN3 for 1,3k”

Reference 5k 7k /pair
are those just a beefed up “vento” with a bit thicker walls and sold for way for those audiophools

Amps:
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 5k
integrated Amp with room correction but heard only good things, little bit concerned with 400W@4Ohm / 200W@8Ohm dont know if i need more headroom moar WATTS

2x Emotiva XPA-DR1 2,8k
650W@8 / 1000W@4 well i just rly like the look and only read good things about them but the reviews are surly by shills who got paid for the bum licking, would love to pair those with a Balanced DAC which i didnt find one yet

PS Audio m700 monoblocks+Stellar Gain Cell DAC 5,3k
well well well Ps audio, well i can accept the looks of it and yea its probably a solid choice

Would love to hear some opinions on this components anything you got anything good or bad and would also love if some of you build a system of those components :)

Last edited:

vitalii427

Forum Donor
For loud “Epic” music I definitely consider few subs anyway. With proper set up (digital XO & room EQ)

And some efficient loudspeakers with horns/waveguides like JBL so you don’t need to spend much on high quality amplification.
Or maybe some compact Dutch&Dutch 8c / Kii THREE, they are in your budget range. And no need for standalone DACs/AMPs/DSP

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
For loud “Epic” music I definitely consider few subs anyway. With proper set up (digital XO & room EQ)

And some efficient loudspeakers with horns/waveguides like JBL so you don’t need to spend much on high quality amplification.
Or maybe some compact Dutch&Dutch 8c / Kii THREE, they are in your budget range. And no need for standalone DACs/AMPs/DSP
I agree with this.

OP
D

Disruptor

Maybe I should have mentioned my current setup JBL 305 gen1 paired with JBL 310s sub. As for dac/preamp I got the focusrite 2i2. I've treated my with around 18% of the surface area with absorption and build some diffusers which took way to more time to build than I liked.
Yes yes I know what I plan is a massive jump and I don't deserve such a expensive setup that I should work my way up and such.

Ah should have mentioned that I already planned to get two SVS subs

Honestly I find all JBL floorstandning speakers ugly just like the klipsh horn is hideous for me.
Adding to that statement I don't like the sound of horns heard few horn speakers so far and wasn't a big fan.

so you don’t need to spend much on high quality amplification.

Well I thought on that and my full budget consideration would be one or two Crown xls 1502 amps.

Can't say much about the Dutch&Dutch but I've heard the Kii THREE at an Audioshow in Vienna. Ive spend some time with those and gotta have to say they distorted quite early for me atleast and didn't sound to good at low levels as well.

Graph Feppar

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
I have to admit, after auditioning Genelec 1032C/S360/1234A I'm a bit of a G-fanboy (nothing to do with me being Finnish ;))... for the price 1032C is quite the sleeper in the market. Very balanced and detailed with zero harshness. Even alone they provide enough bottom (occasional ~105dBC fun), which was a non-negotiable feature for me (as was also a low self-noise, you can hear hiss only from <10cm). I ditched my whole dac, amp, DIY 15"+horn and 4 x 12" sub shebang for those, never going back to passives again, too many boxes and nervosa tweakings, never mind the hassle trying to integrate some subs.

There's other well regarded monitors like Neumann KH310A / KH420 etc (I owned K+H O300, EVE SC307 etc in the past), all this is just slightly different flavour, (bass) headroom might or might not be there, but most importantly they won't provide the whole simple full digital / GLM ecosystem which I've started to appreciate a lot, even though it might appear "costly" at first. No complex PC/external filters, dacs, multiple amps and crap, just feed AES from your favourite USB bridge / streamer, tune GLM for your preferred frequency tilt and enjoy. G's really deliver all the many specs they publish.

10k€ would easily get setup like 1032C's + 7380 sub (or 2 x 7370 which is pretty much the same). Or perhaps pair of 1237A, but those with more experience always recommend going straight for 1238A. S360 sounded super nice with insane SPL capability, but they really require subs which blows the budget.. same requirement goes for coax gennies, which I have no experience with, but I know the bass is quite limited. Without subs I'd certainly look hard at D&D's..

Now I'm just waiting to catch some 7370/80 in the used market, though G's keep their price so damn well, not sure if I can afford them anyway (or even have space since they are quite large really, volume means volume..). :p

Just my 2c, usual disclaimers..

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
Note: Subjective impressions, no dbt testing.
I tried the Lyngdorf. I didn't think it was worth anywhere close to the huge amount of money. It's "room perfect" is also not all that however it did help the perception of midrange.
I've heard the Emotiva XPA gen 3 and didn't care for it, preferred the gen 2 sound. It is very powerful though. My friend and I ended up preferring the entry level A-300 to the XPA gen 3 (!) However I haven't tried the DR modules.
I use the XPA-1 gen 2 and like them. Also tried the Emotiva PA-1 which has an amazing price ratio. You could even bi amp with them and still come out on top with price and size.
As for the Topping, I would reccomend listening to some dacs before buying a cheap relatively unknown chinese dac for your 10k system. But do it the way that makes sense for you. If going only by measurements is the only way to do it, then by all means go for the D50.

Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to admit, after auditioning Genelec 1032C/S360/1234A I'm a bit of a G-fanboy (nothing to do with me being Finnish ;))... for the price 1032C is quite the sleeper in the market. Very balanced and detailed with zero harshness. Even alone they provide enough bottom (occasional ~105dBC fun), which was a non-negotiable feature for me (as was also a low self-noise, you can hear hiss only from <10cm). I ditched my whole dac, amp, DIY 15"+horn and 4 x 12" sub shebang for those, never going back to passives again, too many boxes and nervosa tweakings, never mind the hassle trying to integrate some subs.

There's other well regarded monitors like Neumann KH310A / KH420 etc (I owned K+H O300, EVE SC307 etc in the past), all this is just slightly different flavour, (bass) headroom might or might not be there, but most importantly they won't provide the whole simple full digital / GLM ecosystem which I've started to appreciate a lot, even though it might appear "costly" at first. No complex PC/external filters, dacs, multiple amps and crap, just feed AES from your favourite USB bridge / streamer, tune GLM for your preferred frequency tilt and enjoy. G's really deliver all the many specs they publish.

10k€ would easily get setup like 1032C's + 7380 sub (or 2 x 7370 which is pretty much the same). Or perhaps pair of 1237A, but those with more experience always recommend going straight for 1238A. S360 sounded super nice with insane SPL capability, but they really require subs which blows the budget.. same requirement goes for coax gennies, which I have no experience with, but I know the bass is quite limited. Without subs I'd certainly look hard at D&D's..

Now I'm just waiting to catch some 7370/80 in the used market, though G's keep their price so damn well, not sure if I can afford them anyway (or even have space since they are quite large really, volume means volume..). :p

Just my 2c, usual disclaimers..

If the look is ok for you, 1238a will deliver the good even without a subwoofer (if your room is reasonable). You can also look at 1238dc + 1 or 2 sub, 7360 start to generate a lot of bass.

In my experience, if you need high spl go for genelec, if the kii are loud enough (medium size room) they look much better.

Focal is cheaper and very good too: sm9 or trio (6ke resp. 4ke). From my experience the focal sub6 cannot keep up except in a small room.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In one sense I think active speakers with built in digital - analogue conversion are the way forward, I think we will move towards a future where hi-fi effectively becomes speakers which connect wirelessly to a source which could be any PC, tablet or device. My only hesitation is that as you get more expensive, I do have some concerns at the longer term support for these speaker systems and their longevity. Good DACs can be bought for peanuts, and you really don't need to spend a lot for a good amplifier so for your budget you could get some killer passive speakers and a good amp and DAC (or amp with integrated DAC) and have bit more comfort in the durability of those expensive speakers.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Maybe I should have mentioned my current setup JBL 305 gen1 paired with JBL 310s sub. As for dac/preamp I got the focusrite 2i2. I've treated my with around 18% of the surface area with absorption and build some diffusers which took way to more time to build than I liked.
Nice, I also have 305 as my desktop setup. But absorbers and diffusers give nothing in terms of low frequencies. One sub crossed at 80hz adds low end to 305, but that is not what I meant by "proper set up". Look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

Ah should have mentioned that I already planned to get two SVS subs
Rythmik is better value, especially if you do not use internal crossover and other fancy features.

Honestly I find all JBL floorstandning speakers ugly just like the klipsh horn is hideous for me.
Adding to that statement I don't like the sound of horns heard few horn speakers so far and wasn't a big fan.
I have 4367 and I really like how they looks and sounds. Huge sound when playing loud with no distortion. And no horn coloration at all. But not in your budget.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
In one sense I think active speakers with built in digital - analogue conversion are the way forward, I think we will move towards a future where hi-fi effectively becomes speakers which connect wirelessly to a source which could be any PC, tablet or device.
You have described Devialet Phantom) Don't know how they sounds in proper room, but I didn't like em at hi-fi store. Though the company is on the right way.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the two major decisions you need to make first are:
  • full-range or mains + subs (I’d tend to the latter for better bass/room integration)
  • passive or active (I’d also tend to the latter for various reasons)
Having said that, on another thread @Purité Audio is offering a pair of Revel Salon 2 for about the right price, which is arguably the best passive full-range speaker out there IMO.

OP
D

Disruptor

Sorry guys will respond to all of later but just this quick one here.

Actually for 10k I'd definitely go with powered speakers, two subs and some pro multichannel dac.

Can I ask you why your opinion is that I should go with active?
Do you think active are just better or is the budget to little for good passive speakers and electronic

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Actives are just technically better, but they too come in many guises, there are traditional actives like ATC, more modern designs will incorporate some form of basic boundary filtering, PSI, Genelec and the most modern have a cardioid response, are full range, have built in tone and EQ, phase coherent boundary coupled etc etc.
They just enable you to hear more of the music.
Keith

OP
D

Disruptor

Actives are just technically better, but they too come in many guises, there are traditional actives like ATC, more modern designs will incorporate some form of basic boundary filtering, PSI, Genelec and the most modern have a cardioid response, are full range, have built in tone and EQ, phase coherent boundary coupled etc etc.
They just enable you to hear more of the music.
Keith
But don't almost all active boxes nearly flat? I want some warm speakers for a change

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Can I ask you why your opinion is that I should go with active?
Do you think active are just better or is the budget to little for good passive speakers and electronic
At least active speakers are just better price/performance and more convenient. But much less audiophilia OCR. And this is also very important part to many of us.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t really know what you mean by ‘warm’, but speakers like the Kiis/8Cs are adjustable so you can roll off the treble, increase the bass generally adjust to your taste.
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But don't almost all active boxes nearly flat? I want some warm speakers for a change

I don’t really know what you mean by ‘warm’, but speakers like the Kiis/8Cs are adjustable so you can roll off the treble, increase the bass generally adjust to your taste.
Keith

IME, and this is purely subjective, “warm” generally doesn’t come from having a downward-sloping axial response - this just tends to sound dull. The kind of “warm” you want is hard to pin down. “Euphonic” distortion may play a part, as may a downward-sloping power response. The room and its effect on the bass is also a factor. My suggestion is to listen to as many speakers as you can and choose based on your subjective preference. Use measurements and technical aspects to rule out poor designs, but not to make your final decision.

Just my 2c though..

PS. KEF and some Dynaudio speakers are probably a good start IMHO.

Top Bottom