• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help! KEF R11 very subdued

HelloAJ

Hello everyone, new to this forum so apologies if not following soft rules. I just purchased a pair or KEF R11 speakers. The previous owner used the speakers with high -end McIntosh gear. Unfortunately before I picked up the speakers he had sold the amp, so couldn't test. But since speakers are still under warranty and seller seemed extremely reliable I took a leap of faith.

I have a pair of ML prodigy, 702s2, kef wireless 2...and used to their sounds and really like them.

After bringing R11s home, I hooked them up to emotiva xpa1 monoblocks (600wpc @8) - bi-wired. Turned the Link knob all the way counterclockwise. Ready for a listen, and I am shocked how subdued the sound is. Like remarkably poor high frequency response, poor volume... forget about soundstage! Volume seems quite low as well.

So wondering if you are aware if these sound like how I am experiencing or I have bad combination or something I am completely unaware of. Please chime in, and thanks in advance.

raindance

Major Contributor
Hello everyone, new to this forum so apologies if not following soft rules. I just purchased a pair or KEF R11 speakers. The previous owner used the speakers with high -end McIntosh gear. Unfortunately before I picked up the speakers he had sold the amp, so couldn't test. But since speakers are still under warranty and seller seemed extremely reliable I took a leap of faith.

I have a pair of ML prodigy, 702s2, kef wireless 2...and used to their sounds and really like them.

After bringing R11s home, I hooked them up to emotiva xpa1 monoblocks (600wpc @8) - bi-wired. Turned the Link knob all the way counterclockwise. Ready for a listen, and I am shocked how subdued the sound is. Like remarkably poor high frequency response, poor volume... forget about soundstage! Volume seems quite low as well.

So wondering if you are aware if these sound like how I am experiencing or I have bad combination or something I am completely unaware of. Please chime in, and thanks in advance.
I suspect you turned the link knob the wrong way.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi welcome to asr. My first thought is to check the link knobs are atcually fully disengaged with a multimeter.
Edit also triple check the speaker wires are all in phase.
Hopefully it's something simple.

Last edited:
OP
H

HelloAJ

Hi welcome to asr. My first thought is to check the link knobs are atcually fully disengaged with a multimeter.
Edit also triple check the speaker wires are all in phase.
Hopefully it's something simple.
Thanks, I just checked. Fully disengaged when counterclockwise and engaged while turned clockwise all the way.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it’s Biwired it probably won’t matter.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Could have more to do with the wiring between the amps and speakers. How exactly is it connected? Do the amps have bridged mode? Do you have 2 monoblocks or 4? Are you using y-split speaker cables? etc.

After that all checks out... maybe add subs?

pjn

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Could have more to do with the wiring between the amps and speakers. How exactly is it connected? Do the amps have bridged mode? Do you have 2 monoblocks or 4? Are you using y-split speaker cables? etc.

After that all checks out... maybe add subs?
And, to simplify things, don't bi-wire. It won't add anything to the sound. If you have bi-wired, it won't actually make a difference either way for the Link knob - the bi-wires are connected at the amplifier end anyway. Unless you mean bi-amped? In which case that is a whole extra set of failures potentially and you definitely don't want to be using them with terminals connected together.

Try sticking your ear (or a microphone) right next to the drivers and see if the UniQ is actually being driven.
A sub would make a difference, crossed over at (probably) 60Hz.

(R7 owner - they sound great, but do need a sub.)

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Seems like you're getting a lot of sound advice from the members. I suggest that while trouble shooting your problem to take deep breaths and not to freak out. (I wish I took this advice more often.) Unless they're "broken" you'll get to the answer by diligent trials. Good luck.

OP
H

HelloAJ

Thanks folks, since at the amp side they're connected parallel (bridged), it didn't matter so I ended up turning the Link knob clockwise all the way (closed circuit). Compared with 705 S2 ( sorry I said 702 before). No issues with b&w. Edit: Also there are two monoblocks.

Attachments

• 20230324_085939.jpg
    20230324_085939.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 20230324_085945.jpg
    20230324_085945.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 20230324_085946.jpg
    20230324_085946.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 20230324_090024.jpg
    20230324_090024.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 376
  • 20230324_090051.jpg
    20230324_090051.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This R series is tuned a bit on the warm side, here a listening window measurements of the R11 where the treble is approximately 2 dB lower than the fundamental tone region

fr_listeningwindow.png

(source: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153 )

while the 705S2 has an almost 4 dB higher treble than the fundamental tone region

fr_listeningwindow.png

These approximately 6 dB in treble difference of course generate a very different tonal perception.

More about it also here, here and here.

Last edited:

-Matt-

From the photos, the wiring looks to be ok.

Are all of the drivers moving during playback? Probably some will say that you shouldn't but I always test by lightly touching the edge of the woofer cone. (Don't touch the tweeter just put your ear to it and it should be obvious if it is not playing high frequencies).

If all drivers are working then you have probably become used to boosted highs with your previous speakers and it may take a while to get used the flatter response of the R11s.

If you installed a lot of thin absorption (room treatment) to tame the boosted highs of your previous speakers then this may be too much for the R11s.

Reactions: pjn

-Matt-

I always think the tweeters on these Kef speakers seem quite low. Do you have a coffee table or anything else potentially blocking or interfering with sound from the now lower tweeters?

If so, perhaps they can be tilted back slightly to aim up to ear height at the main listening position?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always think the tweeters on these Kef speakers seem quite low. Do you have a coffee table or anything else potentially blocking or interfering with sound from the now lower tweeters?

If so, perhaps they can be tilted back slightly to aim up to ear height at the main listening position?
+1. Look at the tweeter height vs the B&W

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Id say its the difference of a kind of warm speaker vs a very bright speakers.. but he also says poor volume… i mean that speaker plays very loud..

raindance

Major Contributor
Run the system single wired first to verify the speakers are working properly. It might be that the amps can't handle a common ground or some such weird issue. Connect the other speakers in their place and confirm that the performance is what you expect.

Reactions: pjn
OP
H

HelloAJ

Height of the tweeters are low but that's my usual listening height. B&W has these omnidirectional tweeters so height didn't matter I guess. Are KEF lot more directional? Do you tow in the KEF speakers? Maybe it's true I am used to bright speakers.

Attachments

• 20230324_100507.jpg
    20230324_100507.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 292
Top Bottom