• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help for shipping cost of a NAIM DAC V1

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nope, the Naimites would have his head if he got hold of a Naim DAC or amp.. Just take a look at the prices and the forum (if its still around)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL

Imagine having engineers or whoever represented the technical claims from the company, that a review from a magazine constitutes in Naim's opinion, sound substantiation of their insane claims.

How are people allowed to keep their degree's or stay out of jail with this shit?
My favourite bit:

‘We told Naim Audio Ltd not to imply that mains power had a negative and perceptible influence on audio equipment or that their products could control such an influence, unless they held adequate substantiation to demonstrate that this was the case.’

Made me think of this:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , did this ever happen?
Unfortunately not. The owner faced some serious medical issues and asked for postponement. I have not tried to pester him since.

As for money donated, it was put to good use. Lots of great sushi was had and enjoyment developed within....

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately not. The owner faced some serious medical issues and asked for postponement. I have not tried to pester him since.

As for money donated, it was put to good use. Lots of great sushi was had and enjoyment developed within....
Damn. Naim got him.

Nah just kidding hope hes doing OK.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

digititus

If you have your own isolated substation and dedicated powerline, there is a good chance that your NAIM power amp will not hum like a 1950's refrigerator.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have your own isolated substation and dedicated powerline, there is a good chance that your NAIM power amp will not hum like a 1950's refrigerator.

I’d say moderate rather than good.

digititus

The earth's magnetic field is reorienting quite fast at the moment, but a NAIM NAIMAG servo mechanism will displace your cables to keep up with it.
I already have the FlatMAG. Waiting to upgrade to the SuperMAG (will skip the HiMAG). My bank balance will definitely hear the difference!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do actually own a Naim product, a CD5 player. It was coming without the jumper needed if one did not have the external power supply (which I don't, and don't intend to), and so I ordered a 4-pin DIN plug and soldered jumpers to it to make the appropriate plug. When the item arrived, I noted that the seller (a company that restores and sell vintage high-end audio equipment) had bent a couple of pieces of solid-core copper wire into U shapes and stuck them into the socket to jumper the internal power supply to the audio section. I thought about removing those and inserting my plug. I thought about it for about 2 seconds. The wires are still in there. Of course, it's oxygen-free copper (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

The reason I bought it is not because "there be majick". The reason I bought it is because it uses a simple and reliable Philips transport that is mounted on a manually operated drawer that rotates out from the front of the case, leaving the top of the unit free to hold something else, and eliminating what has for me been the least reliable part of old CD players--the drawer apparatus. It uses a magnetic puck to clamp the center of the CD onto the drive hub, and these are readily available and not too expensive.

Sound-wise, it sounds to my ears exactly like my other CD player, a Cambridge Audio CXC with a Topping E30 DAC. Both sound superb, as one would expect from a reasonable-quality CD player. I think it might roll off the very top part of the top octave very slightly (based on old Stereophile measurements), but I can't hear that high anyway.

Looking at the Naim, I see a high-craft (if not high-aesthetic) case, quite robust mechanicals, very good circuit construction, simple controls, strong serviceability and maintainability, and a remote that uses a standard protocol (Philips RC-5). And they didn't do anything to undermine the sound.

Rick "wondering if the Naim shorting plug had something in it that, upon removal, would make the Flatcap sound 'clearly better', as reviewers insisted" Denney

brimble

Forum Donor
The reason I bought it is not because "there be majick". The reason I bought it is because it uses a simple and reliable Philips transport that is mounted on a manually operated drawer

Totally approve. I used to have a Meridian CD player for similar reasons. It lasted for a million years. (I will never buy anything from Meridian again, though, since they perpetrated the MQA scam.)

Top Bottom