• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help figuring out some gear I inhertited

Bmmmj

I’ve been lurking on these boards and others recently as a year ago I inherited some amazing headphone gear that I’m trying to learn about.

I’m not very technically inclined so it’s been a bit of a learning curve. Even if I’m not doing everything right I’ve been blown away by the gear and as someone who loves music I’m looking forward to learning more about it.

Prior to getting the gear I didn’t know the what DAC was, the difference between open/closed headphones, and I still don’t understand what a preamp does.

The gear consists of a Arya Stealth, Dan Clark Aeon Noire, ADI-2 Dac, and a Burson Soloist 3x, Mojo 2. (There is no way I could afford any of this stuff, I feel incredibly fortunate) I’ve done a ton of reading and I’ve about the HP’s and Amps/Dacs so I have a sense of what they do and their characteristics.

Primarily I’m hoping to get some help setting up the ADI-2 as a DAC for the Burson. The ADI-1 is supper complicated I really don’t get what most of the menus do.

My Questions:

Currently I have ADI-2 connected to the Burson via RCA to Stereo mini. Would I benefit from getting Balanced XLR cables to connect them and should I get a XLR cable for my headphones? If so the Burson came with some XLR cable ends, should I use those?

Using the ADI as a DAC I notice I can control the volume from any either device. Should the ADI be set a particular DBR Level when paired with the Burson. Are there other settings that I should set in the ADI?

What gain level should I use on the Burson?

I’ve read about the Bursons Power-Amp Mode. I understand it allows one to control the volume from the DAC. I’ve tried it and sometimes it sounds really good. Is this options commonly used?

I know the Burson gets rave reviews paired with the Arya’s (I've also noticed it does not get much love on the site) . I’ve listened to music using both the ADI-2 on its own and through the Burson using the ADI’s DAC. Both sound amazing to my untrained ear, though there is something I really like about the ADI.

I’d like to properly set up the Burson and compare it to the ADI. If after sometime I prefer the ADI-2 might just sell the Burson and get some headphones that are easier to drive.

I’ll save questions about the Mojo for another time:)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd first get some Amazon basic quad star XLR cables. They're affordable and as good as any others. Use the lowest gain for best sound. I've had the Arya a few times and they sound great. Really good stuff you came into, just don't break the bank on cables.

Top Bottom