• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help deciding between the Schiit Heresy and JDS Labs Atom

GeorgeWalk

Same dilemma... I'm personally leaning towards Atom since they will release dac as well. I need both and i like to have combo from same brand and model. Also despite being plastic i like the aesthetic of Atom more.
However i'm external dac/amp newbie. How can i use my self powered bookshelf speakers(edifier r1280t) and headphones(dt 1990) at the same time ? Can i connect them both and switch between them ?

I have a JDS Atom with my D90. I also have headphones and powered desktop speakers. I use the OL Switcher from JDS labs. It's a really nice 2 input, 2 output passive preamp. Works great.

My chain looks like this: Mac-> D90 -> OL Switcher -> Atom -> headphones
............. ................................................................. | -> Bose powered speakers

BTW: I love my Atom amp. https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-switcher/

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However i'm external dac/amp newbie. How can i use my self powered bookshelf speakers(edifier r1280t) and headphones(dt 1990) at the same time ? Can i connect them both and switch between them ?

The Atom has a volume controlled output which you can connect your powered speakers to. The output is enabled when you unplug the headphones - i.e. the headphone socket is the switch, just like it would be on many integrated amplifiers.

I have 4 places to control volume:

1. PC
2. DAC
3. HP Amp
4. Both Monitor speakers

I leave the PC and DAC set to 100%, the HP Amp is usually set to around 11 o'clock for my headphones, the monitor speakers are set to a reasonable volume at this level (about 75%). This gives me plenty of control of volume on both headphones and monitors from the HP amp alone and I get no surprises switching between headphones and monitors.

aCuria

Thank you.

I'm confused though with the 3.5mm input.

what would i use that for?

A cell phone?

The heresy and atom being more pure and natural sounding?

Having a second input helps if you have 2 devices:

Eg:
PC DAC + Xbox Console
PC DAC + Interface (for microphone)

I have never heard the heresy but I found the Jotenheim / lyr / valhalla sounding unnatural to me in a meet, something was wrong but I couldn’t put my finger on it.... I did like the mjolnir + gungnir but that costs more than it’s worth imo

Something thing to look for is if the speakers cut off when headphones are used (very important for me). The atom does this but Jotenheim does not

The magni 3/modi also runs very hot if left on

Ended up getting the atom blind but no regrets so far.

Theriverlethe

I got the Atom because I thought the headphone plug to the left of the volume knob would be less annoying. However, if you’re left-handed or use the Atom in low gain, you will have the same annoyance.

jfetter

Forum Donor
Im looking at both too , with the Dacs too also total $200.
Seems many have purchased both. Was any sales tax? Neither company is in my state. It would add about $20 here.
Im referring to direct purchase from mfgr.

jfetter

Forum Donor
Yes Texas sales tax, I ordered the Modi 3 and Heresy.
Its an exercise to compare against my diy tube hybrid.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you live outside of US, Topping finally released a good cheap amp so you can do E30+L30 stack. I'm not gonna claim that any of these sounds better but E30+L30 stack or L30 alone far better than these when it comes to engineering, casing and features.

jfetter

Forum Donor
Fedx just delivered my pile of Schiit.
Sounding great. I installed a Switchcraft plug on the Grados.
B3AD8607-42A7-4340-9CC5-A6D9301EF1C6.jpeg

Vruksha

Hey guys my first post here, I am an iem guy. Can the Atom drive sensitive iem's like 15ohms Fearless S8f and Shuoer H27 which is 10ohms ? I will be using it with high impedance headphones in the future. Confused between L30 and Atom, am leaning towards Atom for their customer service and also good QC but the -9db switch is quiet tempting for iems. If Atom can drive low impedance iem's with out much hiss then I will rather have that.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suggest using a passive attenuator.
This lowers noise (10 to 20dB depending on the one oyu buy, is a more pleasant load to headphone amps than the IEM directly (at least the G1217 version), and when these earphones are very sensitive will give you better volume control.
Can't say what the small increase in output R will have for tonal changes, this depends on the earphone impedance.

Top Bottom