• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing the best approach to getting the desired volume out of my laptop and adding a DAC

Cifer

Hello everyone,

I often use a laptop to play my stage piano using the Pianoteq 8 software. However, the volume is way too low even if set to max, and even with the volume boosted by 10 db in the software (which causes atrocious crackling anyway). The volume is also much too low in general when I apply amp certain amp settings with a db decrease.

So my first question is: Which amp with decent measurements will help me get a good volume boost without being absolute overkill for easy-to-drive headphones like the Sennheiser HD 560s? The Topping L30 II is what came to mind, but I feel that's too much power. Is there anything with good price-performance ratio that will balance out the low laptop volume without so much headroom, but ideally without having to go to high gain?
For reference, I tried an old Fiio A3, but I need to use high gain to get any form of decent volume, and even then it's still lower than what I'd need. On low gain it's the same volume as the laptop without any amplification. I'm not knowledgable enough if something like the Topping DX1 would do the trick.

In addition to boosting the volume, I also want to add an external DAC because the one in the laptop is quite noisy.

My initial thought was to use an Apple dongle and plug an amp into it.

But when I plug the headphones into the USB slot using the Apple dongle there is noticeable delay even with the lowest delay setting in Pianoteq, and I get a very quiet but still audible crackling sound - no matter the delay setting.

As far as I know the crackling could be fixed with an isolator which would cost about 10 euros, correct?

The delay puzzles me because there is no delay between the note press and the sound when I click the piano keys in the Pianoteq software. This means there is no inherent sound delay when using the USB port, and the port or driver can't be the issue.
Since there isn't a delay when I use the headphone jack for output, the MIDI-to-USB connection between piano and PC can't be the culprit either.
The delay in ms displayed by the software when I select the audio device in Pianoteq is also shown to be the same.

The conclusion I draw from this is that Pianoteq - or something else in the computer - creates the delay when it has to read the input from the external piano and put out the sound through the USB port.

So my second question is: Does anyone have any potential solutions or further troubleshooting steps?

And the third question: Considering the issues above, would you suggest simply running it all from the headphone jack by using a DAC which doesn't have to be plugged into a USB socket (or using an amp/DAC combo device)? I'm not certain if USB is generally a worse option than headphone jack, or if it's just an issue with this specific laptop.

On a sidenote: is the sound quality generally better from the USB port if it works well, or from the audio jack?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Others have a similar volume complaint...

USB to an outboard DAC and Amp should (probably) give you the volume control you want, if the above doesn't provide any answers. Will there be a noticeable delay? Don't know.

OP
C

Cifer

Others have a similar volume complaint...

USB to an outboard DAC and Amp should (probably) give you the volume control you want, if the above doesn't provide any answers. Will there be a noticeable delay? Don't know.
Thank you.

I'd just like to clarify that the volume issue isn't specific to Pianoteq. The headphones are way too quiet in any situation as soon as I lower the db in my equalizer software to make up for boosted bass frequencies. Pianoteq is indeed way quieter than most other things by design, but I know how to fix that if I want to. However, what I want is proper volume for the entire system even with EQ.

Isn't the Apple dongle which I've tested an outboard DAC? It definitely does give me delay and causes a lot of crackling - but ONLY with Pianoteq. It works fine with everything else.

Is there an equivalent of the Apple dongle for 3.5 mm jacks? That would be the perfect solution, but I don't know which ones are good. I've also considered getting a 3.5-mm-to-USB-A-female adapter, plutting a USB-A-to-USB-C adapter into it, and then connection the Apple dongle. I don't have experience with this, but fear that using too many connectors and adapters could affect sound quality or delay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Isn't the Apple dongle which I've tested an outboard DAC?

I haven't had anything Apple since 1998, but I think it is.

It definitely does give me delay and causes a lot of crackling - but ONLY with Pianoteq. It works fine with everything else.

Crackling might be a sample rate mismatch - like sending 44.1 rate to a 48k device - I've seen that here among my toys, it "kinda" works.

Is there an equivalent of the Apple dongle for 3.5 mm jacks?

Don't know what that means.

I'd assume the 3.5 is analog, and using the laptop internal DAC, though I'm past my due date and don't know what kingd of confusions the hardware designers are creating now.

--

Know anybody with some gear for you to try?

--

I'll step away now, maybe somebody else will have the proper solution - I don't run music from a laptop (and very rarely from the PC)

Top Bottom