• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need help choosing headphone amp

bsdinis

Hi, I'm about to buy a Topping D10 Balanced to use with a pair of active monitors some time in the future.
My issue is that I am not able to find any headphone amplifier with balanced input and single-ended output. Is there any?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm about to buy a Topping D10 Balanced to use with a pair of active monitors some time in the future.
My issue is that I am not able to find any headphone amplifier with balanced input and single-ended output. Is there any?
Is price a factor. What kind of range might you have in mind?

cinemakinoeye

I have a Schiit Jotunheim 2, headphone amp, it has both balanced and single-ended preamp in and outs, and has a switch to enable or disable the pre-out. I have been using it to drive both headphones and a power amp and speakers for a tad over a year with no buyers regret. It can be ordered with built-in ES9028 DAC card or without. Lately, I’ve been using it with a Schiit Modius balanced DAC that measures quite well.

Last edited:

cinemakinoeye

If you are looking for balanced input and balanced output with XLR connectors as well as standard (6.5mm) and balanced (XLR-4) headphone outs, is there anything else in the marketplace that compares to the Schiit Jotunheim 2?

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

If you are looking for balanced input and balanced output with XLR connectors as well as standard (6.5mm) and balanced (XLR-4) headphone outs, is there anything else in the marketplace that compares to the Schiit Jotunheim 2?
I am looking for a headphone amplifier with balanced input and single-ended output for a Topping D10 Balanced, and the SMSL HO100 is exactly what I am looking for.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are the least expensive headphone Amps with Bal input and SE output:

-Sabaj A20h ($120 via hifi-express.com)
-SMSL SH-8s ($130 via Drop.com)
-ifi ZEN CAN ($150 via headamp.com)
-SMSL HO100 ($150)
-Topping L50 ($170)

cinemakinoeye

I am looking for a headphone amplifier with balanced input and single-ended output for a Topping D10 Balanced, and the SMSL HO100 is exactly what I am looking for.
That looks like a reasonable option if you don't also need balanced preamp outs; I needed balanced headphones and preamp outs, which is why I chose the Schiit Jotunheim, but the SMSL HO100 looks like a nice device if you don't need balanced preamp outs (I also wanted a silver box, but that's another story altogether).

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

between SMSL SH-8S and Sabaj A20h, which one would any of you choose?

Top Bottom