• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing a player for Flac files

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It’s not up to the D10, but up to your audio player.
That's why I was saying, UAPP with D10 hooked up to my TV, DSD didn't work but the D10 hooked up to my LG G7, DSD worked.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Need help choosing a media player for FLAC files":
I went thru many variations of portable media players for near a decade,when my search ended in 2019.
xDuoo X20
  • Dual way Bluetooth 4.0[OLD], support AptX
  • Support 32bit/384K [really; 24bit/192k]
  • 2.5mm Balanced output
  • Native DSD256
  • USB DAC and 5band EQ
  • USB-C interface to PC, and act as an external USB DAC, for PCM, 24bit/192k and DSD256 support
  • FLAC/WAV @16-24bit/44.1k-192kHz; APE @upto 96kHz, AAC/OGG/MP3/WMA
  • microSD/TF slot (256GB+)
  • $270
1647549659300.png

It has been a workhorse for me for a few years, w/20 hours of play time.
I DIY'd my car's old CD head-end unit for an AUX IN.
I then stuffed three 512GB microSD cards with my music library (MP3/FLAC mix) for road tunes.
I also have another microSD card full of books-on-tapes and the xDuoo becomes a portable book reader w/headphones on.
I am sure there are a few price-competitive alternatives in the current market place w/o stepping upto the $500 class of media players.
(advertised specs are not shabby: THD @ 0.005%, SN @ 107dB, etc.)
I wish I could request an ASR test of this X20 media player but I really can't part with it , even for a month.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So everyone here is basically telling the OP to stop using his Chromebook's DAC and get an external DAC. Any reason beyond insufficient level to his headphones?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So everyone here is basically telling the OP to stop using his Chromebook's DAC and get an external DAC. Any reason beyond insufficient level to his headphones?
Im not sure the DAC is the problem with chromebook for the OP- the lack of ability to use software with decent EQ on a chromebook is though. Thats the only reason I suggested an android phone if they had one with UAPP and Eq plugin.

OP
F

forss

my Chromebook is on it's way out , I just ordered a new dell laptop, also the Chromebook's headphone jack does NOT put out enough voltage to allow the Amp to operate at it's maximum ability and I have NOT purchased a DAC yet. Not very impressed with the Topping L-30 . I am looking for the best Amp I can get for $700.00 or less. So much more research must be done.

Current Equipment

Topping L-30
Chromebook
AKG K-240
AKG K-701
Sony MDR-ZX110

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Not impressed with the Topping E30? I don't believe that :facepalm:. I had used to own a Topping L30 with a AKG 7XX, very good pairing.

Why do I mention the AKG 7XX? AKG 7XX is the cousin of the AKG 702, which is also the cousin of the AKG 701. The AKG 7XX goes for around $80 to $130 USD on eBay. So buying an amp over $200 for these would be kind of a waste.

If I recall the Topping L30 outputs more power and does better overall than the Topping A50s. The SMSL SH-8S does output more power and does better overall then the Topping L30 and costs the same as the Topping A50s.

FuzzTone

If you just want a high quality player get a Topping M50. It plays practically anything except ALAC.
Off of USB A flash drives, SSD and micro SD cards

Top Bottom