• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing a player for Flac files

forss

I have the following

Topping L 30
AKG K-240
25GB of FLAC files
Acer Chrome book

Chromebook is my weakest link and I would like a player that is a good high res player without spending more than say 200.00 or less.

Can anyone help me , I am new at Audio and not wanting to make a costly mistake.

Thank You,
Steven -

JoeBrooklyn

If you are playing them from your Chromebook, then I think you need a DAC to go with your L30, rather than another player.
It would be Chromebook USB ---> DAC ----> L30 ---> AKG. A topping D10s would work well.

OP
F

forss

Software is irrelevant. If you are using the 3.5mm jack from your laptop to feed the headphone amp, get a USB DAC like the Topping D10s and you will be set.
I am using the 3.5mm jack from the chromebook , Thank You for responding is the DAC -D10 also a player ? like I said I am knew to this and will be asking stupid questions

JoeBrooklyn

I am using the 3.5mm jack from the chromebook , Thank You for responding is the DAC -D10 also a player ? like I said I am knew to this and will be asking stupid questions
The D10s is a not a player, it is a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). It converts the digital audio stream coming out of the Chromebook USB to an analog signal to feed into the L30. It should make the FLACs playing on the Chromebook sound better than the 3.5mm audio coming out of your Chromebook.

What you have now:
Chromebook Plays & Converts FLAC to Analog 3.5 mm ---> L30 AMP ----> AKG

Future:
Chromebook plays FLAC to USB (digital) ---> DAC D10 Converts to Analog RCA ----> L30 Amp ---> AKG

OP
F

forss

Just upgraded my Headphones

Now have the AKG K 701 and going to start looking for my options in a EQ

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just upgraded my Headphones

Now have the AKG K 701 and going to start looking for my options in a EQ
Do you have an android phone rather than a chromebook you can put the 25gb of FLAC files on? Any phone with enough storage will do.

If so- get the USB Audio Player Pro app (paid version is about $5) and buy the add on Parametric EQ for around $4.

Then get a dongle DAC- I recommend the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for around $30.

You are set.

Doesnt work with chromebook sadly.

OP
F

forss

Do you have an android phone rather than a chromebook you can put the 25gb of FLAC files on? Any phone with enough storage will do.

If so- get the USB Audio Player Pro app (paid version is about $5) and buy the add on Parametric EQ for around $4.

Then get a dongle DAC- I recommend the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for around $30.

You are set.

Doesnt work with chromebook sadly.
I do not have a cell phone , google voice phone for 15yrs now.....going to get a new laptop with windows 10 from acer refurbished soon , I hate the chromebook.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My suggestion would be to go with @sheninat0r's suggestion and get a topping D10S or similar plus a raspberry pi and install Volumio, Moode, PiCore player or whatever takes your fancy. Use your Chromebook, Win 10, Mac or tablet to control it.

OP
F

forss

I purchased the Topping L-30 about two months ago and feel it sounds fantastic , however I find myself wanting it louder on some tracks and I am already maxed out. many times I think I need a more powerful amp than what the L-30 can do

the specs for the AKG 701 Headphones

115 db spl
Rated impedance 62

maybe a 7 watt power amp would be better for me

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased the Topping L-30 about two months ago and feel it sounds fantastic , however I find myself wanting it louder on some tracks and I am already maxed out. many times I think I need a more powerful amp than what the L-30 can do

the specs for the AKG 701 Headphones

115 db spl
Rated impedance 62

maybe a 7 watt power amp would be better for me

What DAC are you feeding the L30 with?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
no DAC just from the headphone jack from the Chromebook
I suspect that's your problem, not enough voltage into the L30. I'd suggest getting one of the cheaper 2v USB dongles and putting thst between the chromebook and the L30. Meizu hifi or tempotec sonata HD pro are good value.

Smitty2k1

I second the above suggestions for Foobar2000 as the software media player for FLACs and a USB DAC like the Meizu Hifi, Tmpotec Sonata HD, or Xtrempro X1 instead of the 3.5mm headphone output on your Chromebook.

OP
F

forss

I was looking at ordering the Topping D10s and getting a new Windows laptop so I can use EQ software , then again I do not know what is the best route to go

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
If you got ARM-based Chromebook, you could install UAPP (If your Chromebook supports running android apps) on it and use the Topping D10S on it. I 3rd foobar2000 (for Windows), there is plenty of great plugins like Monkey's Audio Decoder, DVDA Decoder, SACD Decoder, WASAPI Output Support and many more.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@forss I didn't really catch what you want? If you want a DAP then take a look at HiBy R3Pro (CS43131 version!) should be around 200$ (of course you also need to buy SD card for it) and should be enough stand alone. How ever be warned it has BT range problem and as line out it's just 1V. It has just enough power to drive 64 Ohm's can's trough unbalanced out.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you got ARM-based Chromebook, you could install UAPP (If your Chromebook supports running android apps) on it and use the Topping D10S on it. I 3rd foobar2000 (for Windows), there is plenty of great plugins like Monkey's Audio Decoder, DVDA Decoder, SACD Decoder, WASAPI Output Support and many more.
Annoyingly, I can't install uapp on any of my 3 chromebooks. All support android apps. The play store says its not available on that device. Sideloading means I can't get the paid version or the eq add on I paid for. Also app wasn't stable. Am I missing something?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Annoyingly, I can't install uapp on any of my 3 chromebooks. All support android apps. The play store says its not available on that device. Sideloading means I can't get the paid version or the eq add on I paid for. Also app wasn't stable. Am I missing something?
I sideloaded UAPP on my android TV and it worked fine, although DSD never worked with my old Topping D10. My Chromebook loves sideloading but I never sideloaded UAPP on it.

How I sideloaded on my android TV was, I used LuckyPatcher to create a backup of the UAPP (On my phone) as an apk, uploaded to Google Drive, used a storage app (On TV) to download the apk and installed it fine. I think the UAPP Team said your able to sideload UAPP on android devices that have the playstore available and somehow the UAPP talks to the Playstore to confirm your purchased it.

Top Bottom