• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need guidance for choosing closed back headphones.

dtrd_pixl

Greetings, pals! Been lurking on this forum for some days searching for headphones, but still can't decide what type of closed backs to get.

I will mostly be using them for monitoring, producing, and gaming. My budget is around 300USD. I was looking around the new 700 pro x and the ath m50-x, but seeing got me very confused about what to choose, therefore why I'm asking.

Thanks in Advance!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones would be fine for audio production (editing, mixing, creating, etc).
But a little on the boring side for audio enjoyment, but are really cheap ($60) used on eBay.
You can spend the rest of your budget for headphones for all other needs.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sennheiser HD 598 CS is a option.
It comes with:
  • 1.2 m cable with 1-button remote / 3.5 mm straight plug (For cel tel with mic.)
  • 3 m cable / 6.3 mm straight plug (For stereo amplifier connection.)

markanini

Major Contributor
Since you mention monitoring I'll suggest Shure SRH 440 regardless of budget and they are not bad for general use. Forget the M50x the audio performance is unpredictable due to the V shaped response.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Greetings, pals! Been lurking on this forum for some days searching for headphones, but still can't decide what type of closed backs to get.

I will mostly be using them for monitoring, producing, and gaming. My budget is around 300USD. I was looking around the new 700 pro x and the ath m50-x, but seeing got me very confused about what to choose, therefore why I'm asking.

Thanks in Advance!

Monitoring, producing:

B-choice OLLO Audio S4R (1.1)
Beyerdynamic DT150 with EDT100T pads.
DT250-250
AKG K361
Maybe: Rode NTH-100
Brainwavz HM5

DT700X versus some other headphones:

dt700x-compare.gif

staticV3

Master Contributor
SRH-440 and SRH-840 are go-to options. I'd stay away from the newly released 440A and 840A until we have measurements.
AKG-K371 is good as well.
And if you don't mind stretching your budget, there's the DCA Aeon Closed X and DCA Aeon RT Closed. Discussion here.
Oh and here are measurements of the new Beyerdynamic series.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I will mostly be using them for monitoring, producing,
Most pros will strongly-advise against using headphones as your main monitors and most amateurs don't get good results with them.

But I have something written by one mixing engineer who uses headphones because he moves from studio-to-studio and he wants consistency. (His is a minority opinion.)

Here are two snippets I collected from Recording Magazine:

This is from "Readers Submissions" where users send-in their recordings for evaluation:
As those of you who have followed this column for any length of time can attest, headphone mixing is one of the big no-no's around these parts. In our humble opinion, headphone mixes do not translate well in the real world, period, end of story. Other than checking for balance issues and the occasional hunting down of little details, they are tools best left for the tracking process.

And this is from a mixing engineer:
Can I mix on headphones?

No. But in all seriousness, headphones can be a secret weapon and it really doesn’t matter what they sound like…

Over time, after constantly listening back to my work from different studios on those headphones I really started to learn them. They became sort of a compass. Wherever I went… It became a pattern for me to reference these headphones to see if what I was hearing was “right”…

I learned them, I knew them, I trusted them. It didn’t matter whether or not I loved them…

So, can you mix on headphones? Probably. I just think you really need to put some time into learning them first…

usern

I have ATH M50x and DT 700 Pro X. I used to use M50x a lot, but these days they are shelved, because of on ear design. 700 Pro X is nice and comfortable, can play extremely loud without much distortion. Do you need closed because you are in noisy environment?

If you can use open back for production, you could look at Sennheiser HD 560S. It's great for gaming also.

OP
D

dtrd_pixl

I have ATH M50x and DT 700 Pro X. I used to use M50x a lot, but these days they are shelved, because of on ear design. 700 Pro X is nice and comfortable, can play extremely loud without much distortion. Do you need closed because you are in noisy environment?

If you can use open back for production, you could look at Sennheiser HD 560S. It's great for gaming also.
Yeah, pretty much cuz im in the middle of the living room and it's kind of noisy. Though was also was planning to get hd600, most of the time I'll be forced to listen on closed-back.

OP
D

dtrd_pixl

Pals, I've decided for a combo of AKG K361, and HD560s on sale. Is it a good buy?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can't comment on the AKG's, but the HD560S are a great pair of headphones. Good detail, good soundstage and they also handle equalisation really well.

OP
D

dtrd_pixl

Depends on the price ;)
$150 USD for the 560s and $90 for the akg k361, Searched for the SHR440 and those are 110$. My order was cancelled though, that’s why I’m asking for final thoughts. xD

paudio

I just rebuilt a set of 15 year old SRH440. New headband wire, peeled al flaking pleather off headband fabric and installed SRH940 velour pads. Sounds pretty good.

Also just picked up Austrian Audio Hi-X60 and have been listening to them a ton. Bass is present but polite and extends low. Very clear phones.

Definitely more comfortable than SRH series or Meze 99. Tons of room inside cup/pads.

Top Bottom