• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need DAC/Amp advice! (Liquid Damage to my Element 2)

First off... I'm going to cry from my stupid accident. I'm cautious with my equipment (desk/computer/audio/etc) and just this once I allowed a coffee cup on my desk without thinking. One of my kiddos smacked it and spilled some coffee inside the Element 2 knob and around my desk. Luckily my desk mat reduced the spill towards other areas.

I'm on the search for dac/amp combo... Maybe Element 3? Topping? Fiio K5 Pro?

I'm looking for advice to run my Kanto YU2 speakers but most importantly my T60 KP Argon headphones.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Have you thought about trying to fix the Element II first?

First of all I would disconnect power (though I hope this already happened immediately after the accident), pull off the knob and soak up any remaining liquid.

Next, research how to get the circuit board out of there (perhaps there are screws hiding under the feet), and obtain some demineralized water (should be easily found at a gas station) and an old toothbrush. Some isopropyl alcohol would also be good. Use either the pure water or about a 50/50 mix with isoprop to clean the board. I wouldn't soak it unless the spill was bad enough in the first place, I somehow doubt the relays are entirely waterproof.

Once the board is clean, thoroughly let it dry (like a day or several hours in the summer sun). Afterwards, reconnect power supply to the bare board and carefully try it out.

If it still doesn't work then, consult JDS Labs' support. I imagine they'd be able to either fix your board or sell you a new one without charging you a kidney. If you are uncomfortable with disassembling the unit beyond the knob to begin with, well, then contact them right away.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
2019-11-15.16-10-42.el_amp_ii_-_pcb.jpg

Top Bottom