• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need closed headphones advice (200 euro range)+ limitations

o7_brother

Agree with "try no EQ" first.

If you want to try some EQ, here's my idea. You are used to the sound of the M50X, so you may find the K371 lacking in midbass. In that case, you can try boosting the 100-150 Hz area.

OP
P

porotikos

Hey guys, i am still reading about akg k371 over the internet. My mind is almost set to these. But... I am reading about huge quality issues. Not just the video in youtube of the guy that bought 4 consecutive faulty units, but also reddit is full of problems. Any ideas if all is good now?I am sceptical. Btw i also found out my buddy also boughtvthese and the xlr plug of the cans, fell off. And he also had channel imbalance. This is a huge consideration. Should i go for it and hope for the best?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The build quality is nothing to write home about. Perhaps when you take extra care they might last longer.

When you want durability look for DT770 and use EQ.
You an practically sit on those.
There is a reason you see these used in studios.

OP
P

porotikos

The build quality is nothing to write home about. Perhaps when you take extra care they might last longer.

When you want durability look for DT770 and use EQ.
You an practically sit on those.
There is a reason you see these used in studios.
well dt770 (or even dt880) should have been real competitors in what i need. i am holding back, because i read they have pretty strong treble response. i do not like emphasis on the higher frequencies.
I have no experience at all, concerning eq programs. if i could be pointed out to what software i could use and if i could use ready made custom eq curves that would tame the treble response of these headphones, i would really consider these. any help is appreciated. i am a fast learner. if someone could point me to a related thread to read and start experimenting. thank you

bobbooo

Major Contributor
well dt770 (or even dt880) should have been real competitors in what i need. i am holding back, because i read they have pretty strong treble response. i do not like emphasis on the higher frequencies.
I have no experience at all, concerning eq programs. if i could be pointed out to what software i could use and if i could use ready made custom eq curves that would tame the treble response of these headphones, i would really consider these. any help is appreciated. i am a fast learner. if someone could point me to a related thread to read and start experimenting. thank you

Beyers may be durable on the whole, but their earpads are not, changing the original frequency response of the headphones fairly rapidly compared to other brands due to pad ageing. I'd just get the K371's which will already sound very good without EQ, and if you want to improve them even further, I'd try these settings. You'll need to install Equalizer APO and Peace GUI to apply that parametric EQ profile.

Last edited:
OP
P

porotikos

Thank you so much. tomorrow i will start installing the software to have it ready and start experimenting. in me meantime i should also look for profiles for my n50x. Perhaps they could be improved as well? any particular site that hosts parametric eq settings?
In a greek forum, a friend suggested that even if the k371 are of low resistance, and even if i use a mixing console where the headphone out is working as an amplifier, i would really benefit from a headamp. something like fiio e10k.
Well i can get the fiio 10k as cheap as 40 euros.
i would like to ask. firstly is it an ok investment to do so? or the result in my setup wont be rewarding?
secondly, will this particular amp work in my case? here is my setup right now.
i have sonkoz la qhd1 connected through usb with my pc. sonkoz is then connected via rca to my behringer mixing console. and tehn i plug my headphones in console.
if iwas to get someting like e10k, how should it be connected? i would like to use it only as a headamp and not as a dac. i would like to use sonkoz as the dac. is that possible? i think not but i can be mistaken.
if not, any other headamp i could use? That can be used only as an amp even if it has dac capabbilities... i wouldnt like it to be portable really. and of course i am looking for something cheap. this wasnt planned as an expense. i am considering it because i have been told it will worth it and the headphones would be working better.
if not i can avoid it for now with the k371, and buy a better one when and if at some point i buy headphones that have bigger resistanse values.
many questions and i feel i may be derailing teh conversation a bit.
sorry for that and thank you all for you amazing guidance guys. i really appreciate it

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Thank you so much. tomorrow i will start installing the software to have it ready and start experimenting. in me meantime i should also look for profiles for my n50x. Perhaps they could be improved as well? any particular site that hosts parametric eq settings?
In a greek forum, a friend suggested that even if the k371 are of low resistance, and even if i use a mixing console where the headphone out is working as an amplifier, i would really benefit from a headamp. something like fiio e10k.
Well i can get the fiio 10k as cheap as 40 euros.
i would like to ask. firstly is it an ok investment to do so? or the result in my setup wont be rewarding?
secondly, will this particular amp work in my case? here is my setup right now.
i have sonkoz la qhd1 connected through usb with my pc. sonkoz is then connected via rca to my behringer mixing console. and tehn i plug my headphones in console.
if iwas to get someting like e10k, how should it be connected? i would like to use it only as a headamp and not as a dac. i would like to use sonkoz as the dac. is that possible? i think not but i can be mistaken.
if not, any other headamp i could use? That can be used only as an amp even if it has dac capabbilities... i wouldnt like it to be portable really. and of course i am looking for something cheap. this wasnt planned as an expense. i am considering it because i have been told it will worth it and the headphones would be working better.
if not i can avoid it for now with the k371, and buy a better one when and if at some point i buy headphones that have bigger resistanse values.
many questions and i feel i may be derailing teh conversation a bit.
sorry for that and thank you all for you amazing guidance guys. i really appreciate it

Check out this Reddit page for links to parametric EQ profiles of a large number of headphones (including the m50x). I don't know what specific console you have or its headphone output measurements, but if it gets loud enough and you can't hear any distortion, it's probably good enough and you won't need another amp.

OP
P

porotikos

Check out this Reddit page for links to parametric EQ profiles of a large number of headphones (including the m50x). I don't know what specific console you have or its headphone output measurements, but if it gets loud enough and you can't hear any distortion, it's probably good enough and you won't need another amp.
I have a behringer x2222usb. Well, i can't hear any distortion when turningvapp the volume. So, tomorrow is a day full of audii experiments. Hopefully if it is easy to stop the eq like pressing a button, i will be going backband forth from the eq app to realize what is going on and how it works. Many many thanks. Cheers

OP
P

porotikos

installed the eq programs today. i was eager to do that. and i applied the curves that were in the reddit site, for m50x.
this is what i did (image attached).
Unfortunately this has no effect in sound.
Pressing the speaker icon on the program, mutes the sound. nothing else works. even if i put gain in -20db, i get no change. so it is not my ears. it isnt working. (program is enabled, green icon shows...). any idea as to why is that?
further more, in the eq settinsg i should apply, there is a column marked as bw/s. in the program there is no such column to add these values. am i missing something?
thank you guys
ps. music is plyed through foobar. is there something else i should enable in foobar first?

Attachments

• 2020-10-31 11_15_24-(1) Facebook - Pale Moon.jpg
    2020-10-31 11_15_24-(1) Facebook - Pale Moon.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 82

Elk

I can only speak for the K371s, which I own and love. Sonarworks does not provide a usable, eq correction curve for them, so my son-in-law producer tells me. He also feels the extreme highs, in the 10k range, are muted. They sound fine to me. His Focal Clears sound bright- different strokes I guess.

However, one point that may be of use to you is that the isolation from the environment is not extremely good, not at all like using inner ear phones. There is leakage, my guess is between 10 and 15 db down. Your playing a set of drums while listening may overwhelm.

Top Bottom