• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need closed headphones advice (200 euro range)+ limitations

porotikos

Hi guys. I need advice from my fav forum site. i will first need to explain my current setup and the use of the headphones, to get a nice suggestion.
i listen to flac music from pc which uses a sonkoz laqxd1.
Laqxd1 is connected to my behringer x2222usb console. signal from the console is then connected to my sansui au 717 amp and from there signal goes to speakers.
(i use a console because on it i connect multiple needed signals like my electronic drums (2box drummit5 mk2), my laptop etc.

I already have Audiotechnica ath m50x headphones. these are directly connected to either my console to(when i jam with friends in order to get multiple sources) or directly to my drum module for just playing drums.

My current phones for drumming are fine. could be better, the seal doesnt seem good, but i cant complain (havent checked directly to nothing else apart from sennheiser hd201 which obviously get slayed). Job gets done.
But now i have also started needing to listen to music from my cans. when listening to music, the headphones are inserted in the phones out, of my console.

reading the manual, it states: max outout level: +19dbu / 150 ohms (+25dBm). (drum module states: system headphones output 32to 600 ohm). From what i understand both the console and drum module phones outputs work like a headphone amp right? qualitywise i dont know if they are as good as a headphone amplifier, but this what i have. i do not want at this point in time to invest in a headphones amp.

when i started listening music from m50x when connected to console, sound was not disgusting but they felt claustrophobic, no soundstage and really not engaging. i could listen to it there were no harse treble or anything that bad, but i wasnt amazed like my stereo speakers. I would like to have a better result. All this puzzle in my head started because i see that ath m50x has still a nice value and i could sell them at a nice price, and add some money to make my listening experience way better. Can i do it? this is where you step in.

Requirements
  • Since i will also be using them for drumming, i definitely need CLOSED headphones. even though (from what i understand) my console acts as an amp for the headphones, id like to be safe and get headphones that can be driven without an amp. I do not expect to use these with my mobile phone. But an easy load is always better. So, i am searching for headphones in the region of 32 ohm or less. (if nothing worthy can be found in that region, then and only then i might consider headphones with 80 ohm resistance or more).
  • i would like the cans to have nice soundstage. i know that closed cans dont have as wide soundstage as opened ones, but still something far wider than the non existent soundstage of m50x.
  • Absolutely no v shaped cans.
  • Absolutely no harsh or overemphasized trebles. i hate too bright trebly sound.
  • lows should be controlled and tight. not boomy. no exagerations there. tight is the real word. when drumming, if i want more bass, thank god i will have my console to compensate.
  • In other words i need a neutral listening experience (or so i think). neutral doesnt mean lifeless though. after reading similar threads, "harman preference headphone curve" came out a lot. after some research (if i understand that well), this curve helps make cans sound like neutral speakers, even if teh curve has some fluctuations? If this really works, then probably cans that follow that curve is what i need. I am not sure though. There are also reviews againts that curve as well....
  • price range would be 200 euros and down. could go a bit up perhaps but id rather not. 150 euros would be the sweet point i am reallywilling to spend.
  • (i am located in europe (greece) so drop is not an option really)
  • detachable cable is a nice addition. my athm50x cable picks up rfi and emi when connected to console. if i have removable cable perhaps i can swap it witha shielded one, if i face problems.
  • whatever i choose should be a significant upgrade from teh ath m50x. otherwise it is not worth upgrading obviously.

with these in mind, can i get some suggestions? from you guys that are the real experts?
i have already been suggested, or have seen being mentioned, these
meze 9 neo (26 ohm)
v-moda m200 (30 ohm)
beyerdynamic tesla dt 1350 (80 ohm)
akg k371 (32 ohm)
akg k361 (32 Ohm)
NAD Viso HP50 (32 ohm)
Sennheiser HD569(23 ohm)
Koss Pro4S(35 ohm)
Sennheiser HD380(54 ohm)
AKG K553(32 ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT-770 (16,32,80 or 250 ohm) (i should hate it because too much treble?)

Last but not least, i read about people adding curves manually via an eq program (like sonarworks) or custom curves via other programs. is that advisable? i would really like to avoid that to be honest. unless there is a combo of cand and software that really works. i listen music through foobar, lets keep that also in mind

so, any advice on what i could get that will be a really worthy upgrade vs my current ath m50x, would be more than welcome.
I do hope that you guys, with your excellent suggestions, would shape correctly myway of thinking. thank you

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you want to avoid EQ and aim for Harman type sound the K371 seems the most logical choice if one can live with it's 'flaws'.

For drumming specialized headphones exist. There is (was ?) a special version of the DT770 with super high clamping force and special pads but disqualifies on treble and non-replaceable cable.

A headphone cable picking up RF ?
That sounds like a really crappy headphone out design from the console.

OP
P

porotikos

When you want to avoid EQ and aim for Harman type sound the K371 seems the most logical choice if one can live with it's 'flaws'.

For drumming specialized headphones exist. There is (was ?) a special version of the DT770 with super high clamping force and special pads but disqualifies on treble and non-replaceable cable.

A headphone cable picking up RF ?
That sounds like a really crappy headphone out design from the console.

My friend, thank you for your answer.
I do not know if i want harman type sound. i tried to describe what i want, because my experience is not that big. What would the k371 flaws be?
about non replacing cables, this is not a deal breaker. treble though is my achilles point. i dont know what is that discomforts me treblewise, i do know though, that i cannot stand overemphasized hard treble. There could be a bump it treble that i could live with, if it is controlled. but too much and piercing i cannot stand.
i never used eq before. (that doesnt mean i wont do it in the future, but if i can avoid it...) in my sansui au 717, i have bypassed all tone controls. i dont like overemphasized bass, i aim for what was intended. i am a drummer, i always take notice of the bass, but i try to listen all instruments, what they do individually, i would hate if bass covers something else i would like to take notice of.
concerning rf. i dont know if it rfi or emi. i do know that ath m50x cable does pick that noise. if i cover it with tin foil, noise is gone....

OP
P

porotikos

AKG K361 or K371.
i can search their differences this is not hard. but i dont trust other sites really. if someone has any experience in their characteristics soundwise, it would be more than welcome. especially if (as some reviews i already checked, claim) 361 is better, i would sell my ath m50x buy the 361 and save some money!!!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
microphonic cable, mechanical construction, pleather pads.
Sound is probably what you are looking for.

M50X is warm and bassy compared to K371 which I consider Neutral. I owned both K361 and K371 and the K371 is more hifi.
For monitoring I would choose K361, for enjoyment K371.

The RF pickup is not the headphone's fault. It is a crappy headphone out design from the console.
Use a separate headphone amp and it will be gone.

o7_brother

The K361 is not "better". The upper mids are slightly "honky" (slight 1kHz emphasis) and the treble is not as smooth as the K371.

o7_brother

M50X is warm and bassy compared to K371.

Not entirely true. The M50X has more midbass, but also more upper mids and treble compared to the K371. K371 to me sounds like a less V-shaped M50X (if you consider midbass to be the lower end of the V).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Warmth = raised midbass
Bass extension is better in K371.

OP
P

porotikos

thank you guys. these inputs from you, help a lot, really!!!!
any other suggestion is also welcome. The soundstage of k371, how is it?
when people say, the cable is microphonic, what do they mean exactly? poor quality?
and lastly, if i were to get a headphone amp (to tame the rf interference) is there a vfm cheap portable option? (i assume i should connect the amp to the headphone out of the console, and the the phones to amp, right?)

o7_brother

You can get better soundstage from a Beyerdynamic DT770 at the cost of fucked up sound (not worth imo).

Microphonic cable means you can hear the sound of the cable rubbing against your clothes, not related to EM noise.

The K371 is super easy to drive, it works off literally any half-assed amp, I'm sure your console will work fine without a separate amp, so don't go buying an amp just yet.

OP
P

porotikos

You can get better soundstage from a Beyerdynamic DT770 at the cost of fucked up sound (not worth imo).

Microphonic cable means you can hear the sound of the cable rubbing against your clothes, not related to EM noise.

The K371 is super easy to drive, it works off literally any half-assed amp, I'm sure your console will work fine without a separate amp, so don't go buying an amp just yet.
My friend, thank you for the cable info. is there a replacement cable you can suggest, that i could buy to replace the stock cable? something that has been tested good? (if it is shielded, even better)cheers

o7_brother

My friend, thank you for the cable info. is there a replacement cable you can suggest, that i could buy to replace the stock cable? something that has been tested good? (if it is shielded, even better)cheers

I've never needed to do that, but it comes with 3 lengths of cable you can use. They are ordinary mini-XLR cables, so you won't have a problem finding replacements.

OP
P

porotikos

I've never needed to do that, but it comes with 3 lengths of cable you can use. They are ordinary mini-XLR cables, so you won't have a problem finding replacements.
reason i ask is because that weay perhaps i can bypass the microphonic cable problem. Thank you very much for all the input

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
thank you guys. these inputs from you, help a lot, really!!!!
any other suggestion is also welcome. The soundstage of k371, how is it?
when people say, the cable is microphonic, what do they mean exactly? poor quality?
and lastly, if i were to get a headphone amp (to tame the rf interference) is there a vfm cheap portable option? (i assume i should connect the amp to the headphone out of the console, and the the phones to amp, right?)

Soundstage for the K371 is excellent and impressive for a closed headphones. My reference in this domain is the K702 and we are not so far.

And about headphones, the best website you can read is the one from solderdude.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own AKG K553, K371, Audiotechnica M40x, Coolermaster M751 - each is good in its own right.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I own AKG K553, K371, Audiotechnica M40x, Coolermaster M751 - each is good in its own right.

That's basically it. All of them have strong and less strong points. Certainly without any EQ.

OP
P

porotikos

i just put an ad to sell my ath m50x. i am sold for the k371. Can anyone provide a link to a thread with info on what i have to do to make a great eq for these cans? software, and specific curve i have to use? i will be using windows 10, foobar and laqhd1 as a dac. cheers guys

OP
P

porotikos

Will do, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I would like to check both options
I thinkbit is obvious i am overly excited about thos possible upgrade. I hooe difference in audio will be big enough. Thank you all

Top Bottom