• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Childproofing Tips

Jbrunwa

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I’ve been binge reading this site for a few months now. Getting ready to upgrade/update everything with the following goals:

1. Must be safe for kids. Have one adventurous and curious 14 months old daughter.
2. Update everything technology wise. With the exception of a 6 year old DAC, everything else is 20-40 years old - no remotes, no correction, etc.
3. Eventually move to a an HT system - currently have two different old stereo systems.
4. Must sound good. Obvious, I know. I am a conservatory trained clarinetist and conductor no longer in the business. It’s heartwarming to know that the best speakers I’ve heard are well regarded here. So naturally, I do like stuff that are well regarded here.

Let’s start with childproofing. What have worked for you all? I’m especially concerned about speakers, subwoofers, wires, etc.
Having floorstanders with good grilles works well. To my surprise I couldtrain my children that the speakers are not theirs.
I let them use the bluray player with oversight from me. I gets some fair abuse.
The remotes are like treats. Stuck them away in a high place if you don't want the continuous hassle.
I rip every cd I own which gives me peace of mind when they use them to play with. Basically every disc got bad scratches. Therefore I would recommmend a streaming service instead of physical discs.
Mounting the tv to the wall would probablly be a good idea too. Otherwise you will have to be close to make sure they don't get hurt by a large tv falling on them.
Same thing for bookshelves: if you happen to choose them attach them to the walls.
The best would be having everything in a closed of cabinet and remote controlled.

OP
A

agiletiger

Thanks, everyone. Got a lot of great ideas from this and I know a path forward. I am not going to get this done all at once.

In terms of forum etiquette and such, should I continue adding to this thread asking for more specific advice or should I start new threads?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks, everyone. Got a lot of great ideas from this and I know a path forward. I am not going to get this done all at once.

In terms of forum etiquette and such, should I continue adding to this thread asking for more specific advice or should I start new threads?
It is your thread, so feel free to ask anything you like here, and to share anything you think others might find interesting.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have a similar kids situation here. I solved the problem with a pair of Genelec 8340 that have metal grills protecting the driver elements. And they sound great.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I gave my son a quartz locked lowish tier Technics turntable when he started crawling for his bedroom. Not to play music, but to spin his soft toys (ducks etc) around. He loved it. He'd fall asleep watching the spinning platter. He called it his 'ducky roundabout'. And then a self contained CD/tuner system with speakers to play rainforest/bird/nature music when he went to sleep (it really worked).

He grew up around tons of HiFi, so it was normalized early and ultimately, I gave both boys extreme bedroom systems with floor standers in their cupboards and a few subwoofers each. They used to have "bass wars". It kept both of them away from my gear and they really have little interest now they are teenagers.

My partners son, poked two tweeters (metal domes) when he was about 7yo, but otherwise no accidents or damage. An no "posting" of stuff in speaker ports- a good blast of pink noise if they get close will do wonders.

OP
A

agiletiger

My first step will be to add 1-2 subwoofers to my setup:

Criteria: Downfiring, sealed, no more than $600 each.
Room: 1,850 cubic feet carpeted family room - mid level of a tri-level with tv/system on far end.
Current System: Rega ELA Mk2 floor standers, Rega Brio3 integrated amp - no sub out, no XLR, nothing digital, etc., Rotel RDD-1580 DAC

It looks like slim pickings. Here's what I have come up with from the subwoofer comparison sheet:

Martin Logan Dynamo 600X
Monoprice SSW-10
Monoprice SSW-12
OSD (Optimal Speaker Design) NERO TUBEBASS10
Polk Audio DSW PRO 550
Outlaw M8

I'd like to use the configuration suggested by @possumtaters - floor standers right up against each side of the console with each sub up against the speakers.

Which would be best? Only the top two had measurements on the spreadsheet with the ML being the clear winner. Some of these are fairly light in weight. Would that defeat the purpose using them in this more child safe configuration?

samysound

My first step will be to add 1-2 subwoofers to my setup:

Criteria: Downfiring, sealed, no more than $600 each.
Room: 1,850 cubic feet carpeted family room - mid level of a tri-level with tv/system on far end.
Current System: Rega ELA Mk2 floor standers, Rega Brio3 integrated amp - no sub out, no XLR, nothing digital, etc., Rotel RDD-1580 DAC

It looks like slim pickings. Here's what I have come up with from the subwoofer comparison sheet:

Martin Logan Dynamo 600X
Monoprice SSW-10
Monoprice SSW-12
OSD (Optimal Speaker Design) NERO TUBEBASS10
Polk Audio DSW PRO 550
Outlaw M8

I'd like to use the configuration suggested by @possumtaters - floor standers right up against each side of the console with each sub up against the speakers.

Which would be best? Only the top two had measurements on the spreadsheet with the ML being the clear winner. Some of these are fairly light in weight. Would that defeat the purpose using them in this more child safe configuration?

SVS subs have good performance and reasonable price. Not downward firing but the grills seem pretty beefy with a tight fit and no ports to plug if you go with a sealed box option. In any case, the grills look like they fully cover the ports on the ported options.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/subwoofers

With down firing designs, toys/objects may be lodged between the driver and the floor.

Top Bottom