• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need assistance in connecting Bluesound Node 2i to SMSL SU-8 v2 to Peachtree Audio Nova 125

jlr261

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the newbie question. I need help to properly connect my newly acquired SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC into my existing system, making sure to bypass the Bluesound Node 2i's internal DAC, and then into a Peachtree Audio Nova 125 integrated amp (powering a pair of Buchardt S300 MK2 stand mount speakers).

My objective is to compare the SQ between the Node's internal DAC and the SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC, but thus far am I can't get any sound to come out when I connect the Node 2i to the SMSL DAC, and then to the Peachtree amp. I am certainly making some mistakes when connecting the three components... No clue.

Thanks for indicating what exact type of cables I need to use, and where, on each component to properly integrate the SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC.

Thanks in advance, I do like the Node 2i (I mostly listen to Qobuz nowadays), but for less than 200$, thought I'd try an external DAC and bought the SMSL SU-8 v2 which is well rated wherever I read about it.

Regards and have a great weekend everyone!

JLR261

rodtor

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
Sorry for the newbie question. I need help to properly connect my newly acquired SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC into my existing system, making sure to bypass the Bluesound Node 2i's internal DAC, and then into a Peachtree Audio Nova 125 integrated amp (powering a pair of Buchardt S300 MK2 stand mount speakers).

My objective is to compare the SQ between the Node's internal DAC and the SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC, but thus far am I can't get any sound to come out when I connect the Node 2i to the SMSL DAC, and then to the Peachtree amp. I am certainly making some mistakes when connecting the three components... No clue.

Thanks for indicating what exact type of cables I need to use, and where, on each component to properly integrate the SMSL SU-8 v2 DAC.

Thanks in advance, I do like the Node 2i (I mostly listen to Qobuz nowadays), but for less than 200$, thought I'd try an external DAC and bought the SMSL SU-8 v2 which is well rated wherever I read about it.

Regards and have a great weekend everyone!

JLR261
This should work with a coaxial or optical cable from the Node to the SMSL dac, then an RCA one from the DAC to an analog input on the amp.

OP
jlr261

jlr261

This should work with a coaxial or optical cable from the Node to the SMSL dac, then an RCA one from the DAC to an analog input on the amp.

Dear Rodtor,

Thanks very much for your assistance... I am rather embarrassed to admit that I had it all hooked up correctly from the start but simply forgot to click the appropriate input on the DAC!!

In any case, everything works fine now and I and now listening to determine whether there is notable improvements in my system's SQ following the addition of this external DAC. At first listen, it appears so... The sound is different, fuller and with more detail... but I need to listen more and do some A/B to really confirm as it may just be my mind expecting changes after having made the expense...

If I may sol licit your advice further, do you think replacing the power cords of the critical components would make yet another difference in getting the best possible sound out of my humble setup? I am thinking of the reputed yet affordable Cullen cords for the Node 2i, DAC, and Amp...

Thanks again and have a great week !
jlr261

rodtor

Forum Donor
Dear Rodtor,

Thanks very much for your assistance... I am rather embarrassed to admit that I had it all hooked up correctly from the start but simply forgot to click the appropriate input on the DAC!!

In any case, everything works fine now and I and now listening to determine whether there is notable improvements in my system's SQ following the addition of this external DAC. At first listen, it appears so... The sound is different, fuller and with more detail... but I need to listen more and do some A/B to really confirm as it may just be my mind expecting changes after having made the expense...

If I may sol licit your advice further, do you think replacing the power cords of the critical components would make yet another difference in getting the best possible sound out of my humble setup? I am thinking of the reputed yet affordable Cullen cords for the Node 2i, DAC, and Amp...

Thanks again and have a great week !
jlr261
Keep in mind that I am no expert in these matters. Most of what I know about audio has been learned from ASR over the past 12 months or so. And I may not have got it all right! But here I go:

First, I think using the SMSL dac is a great idea. Amir has tested both it and the Node's internal DAC here, and the former clearly has much better SINAD. Whether that difference will be notceable in your listening situation is another matter. But I wouldn't worry about it, instead just being happy knowing that I now have a technically superior set up.

About cables: The broad consensus here among more technically expert participants appears to be that claims on behalf of 'audiophile ' cables should be treated with great skepticism. If your existing cables were competently made, as something from Amazon Basics, for instance, probably is, and if the cable is not broken, then you likely have all you need.

Good luck!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're getting "proper" sound (as opposed to faulty connections, broken components etc) from any given chain, thats probably as good as its going to get. Agree with everything said above, even if different cables would deliver measurable improvements (they wont) , its unlikely they would be noticeable. Any significant change in sound from here on would be from changing your speakers/ headphones or EQ/ room set up.

OP
jlr261

jlr261

Hello everyone,

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful and useful feedback!

First of all, I once again confirm that adding the SMSL SU-8 v2 external DAC to my humble setup has resulted in a noticeable improvement in SQ.
I need to thank everyone at ASR, and Amir in particular, as my decision to purchase the SMSL SU-8 v2 was greatly influenced by the review and measurements I found here.

As I wrote in my original post, I am a relative newbie to this hobby, and do not have a huge budget to devote to it, so identifying such a well received unit at $200 made for an easy decision that appears to have paid off!

With regards to cables, I am using all Blue Jeans cables throughout at this point, except for power cords, which are still the same ones that came with each piece of equipment.

Since better than stock power cords are apparently available at fairly reasonable prices (60$ to 120$ - Pangea to Cullen to Nordost Purple Flare, etc.), I thought I might consider replacing the power cords in critical components, if it can contribute to further improvements in my system's SQ, which I am quite pleased with, by the way...

The truth is that I am forever looking to get back that feeling I got when I first listened to my dad's setup back forty plus years ago (mid-70's... Sansui amp - Magnepan monsters - Garrard turntable + all sorts of master press LPs, setup by a professional, etc.)...

I am today at an age when I can devote some time and reasonable money to explore this hobby, with the ultimate goal of attaining that sound quality that has never left my ears/mind... but I am in no hurry... the trip is more important than the destination!

Of course, I realize that further significant improvements will most likely only come with more substantial changes in my equipment, but for the moment I am still very fond of and discovering my current setup (purchased the Buchardt speakers last year... still have Magnepan MMGs also) and want to enjoy it for a little longer, hence the small additions I have already made (SMSL external DAC) and am pondering ("better"? power cords...).

So voilà! there you have it. As I write this, I am listening to a hi-res recording of Jamie Cullum/Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" and enjoying the hell out of it, which is my only goal, as I am definitely NOT a technician of any sort, nor savvy about detailed characteristics and such.

I just love a nice sounding music setup.

So thanks again to all of you, I certainly also very much enjoy the online interactions with fellow enthusiasts, and do appreciate your taking the time to read my posts and respond with your opinions, advice, experiences, etc. Take care!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Find any spare power cords you have that fit. Swap them out for stock. Let us know if you think you hear a difference. I don't think you will. Nor would you if you spent $00s. Save your money. Or better yet buy some headphones.

OP
jlr261

jlr261

Find any spare power cords you have that fit. Swap them out for stock. Let us know if you think you hear a difference. I don't think you will. Nor would you if you spent $00s. Save your money. Or better yet buy some headphones.

Hi Jimbob54,
Thank you for your response and opinion. I am still only considering changing certain power cords, but will do further research before I make up my mind, taking into account the various inputs I received from fellow enthusiasts and other sources of reliable information.
I already have four headphones... so I might just save to eventually replace/add other speakers/amp...

Top Bottom